Some thoughts on the 2-0 win over Yeovil Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Can be found here: http://bit.ly/5ThingsYeovil" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
westernshore
Can anyone put forward an explanation of why we are not able to convert O'Shaughnessy's
Extremely long throw-insurance into goals?
If my memory serves me correct we haven't scored one goal from them.
It must be quite frustrating for Johnson and especially for O'Shaughnessy
westernshore
Correction
Extremely long throw-ins
confused.com
westernshore wrote:Correction
Extremely long throw-ins
v true, they are getting longer
confused.com
am still alarmed at the amount of chances walters misses. Also his decision making as to when to pass, still slightly suspect. however cant be faulted for extreme effort and took the penalty well
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:am still alarmed at the amount of chances walters misses. Also his decision making as to when to pass, still slightly suspect. however cant be faulted for extreme effort and took the penalty well
What has Jonathon Walters got to do with CTFC :p

I agree re. Waters though. Still learning what to do with time and space.
Alf
westernshore wrote:Can anyone put forward an explanation of why we are not able to convert O'Shaughnessy's
Extremely long throw-insurance into goals?
If my memory serves me correct we haven't scored one goal from them.
It must be quite frustrating for Johnson and especially for O'Shaughnessy
I have never thought that long throws are an effective way to score goals, especially for us at Cheltenham.
We have had a few long throw experts over the years and I'm struggling to remember any real success from them.
westernshore
Okay, but it still beggars the question why have we not been successful.
If you throw the ball straight, hard and fast into the box it should cause problems and it should
provide opportunities for goal scoring chances.
Imo it should be more effective than a corner, which can be very static and easy to read especially by the goalie.
However, it demands movement and awareness and aggression and arriving at the right time
horlickfanclub
Holman in for Billy .We need to score more from open play.
Robin
Harsh to drop Billy as he was MotM Saturday but agree any dip in performance and Holman needs to come in.
shevates
Best thing to do is drop our leading goal scorer and bring in a player who has looked only average when he's played when we're desperate for goals. Holman has struggled to get over his injury I believe need him totally match fit and buzzing like last season
Johnsons Red Army
shevates wrote:Best thing to do is drop our leading goal scorer and bring in a player who has looked only average when he's played when we're desperate for goals. Holman has struggled to get over his injury I believe need him totally match fit and buzzing like last season
Spot on!

Last seaon's Holman, obviously, walks straight into the team. I haven't seen last season's Holman yet this season.

(Note: Fully aware of the injury that kept him out of action for the first few months/half of season.)
Si Robin
Holman needs another pre-season. We know he's good enough, but he'll not be properly match-fit for the rest of this season.
Shade
I'm pretty certain we have scored at least one goal as a result of a DO'S long throw-in. Can't remember who against though. All I can say about the reason we haven't scored more goals is that the other team try to head the ball as well, and invariably have more men in the box trying to do so.
Red Duke
Shade wrote:I'm pretty certain we have scored at least one goal as a result of a DO'S long throw-in. Can't remember who against though. All I can say about the reason we haven't scored more goals is that the other team try to head the ball as well, and invariably have more men in the box trying to do so.
Wasn't it against Charlton?
Alf
I think you stand more chance of pulling defenders out of position when you work a short throw in, it also gives you more chance of retaining possession. With a long throw there is, at best, only a 50/50 chance of retaining possession.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Long throws should be no different than corners and free-kicks from crossing positions. What is our conversion rate for those? 1 in 10? 1 in 20? 1 in 50? I have no idea but probably worse than we would assume. So that would need a lot of long throws to get more than the odd goal or two a season.
Alf
There is always the option of short corners and short free kicks, they don't always have to be launched. Football is, after all, mainly a game of possession.
asl
Remember the days when Mickey Bell took corners and it looked like we'd score from every single one of them...? That used to be fun!
horlickfanclub
Every team has a leading goalscorer ,even the bottom team. Holman is a much better footballer than Billy. I love watching Billy Waters but if we want to beat the better defences we need more up front.
Johnsons Red Army
horlickfanclub wrote:Every team has a leading goalscorer ,even the bottom team. Holman is a much better footballer than Billy. I love watching Billy Waters but if we want to beat the better defences we need more up front.
He needs to earn his place, imo. If GJ can't be judged on last season alone, nor can Holman. The potential is there, but he needs to start showing it THIS season as well if he wants to be a guaranteed starter, imo. Billy has already shown it and earned his starting role.
Robin
Agree Holman is better than Billy but he's been hampered by injuries. I'd still get Waters on an extended deal as the next bit of business though especially if we beat Orient and can begin to rest a little more easilly that we won't be relegated.
Johnsons Red Army
I also agree that Holman is the better player, however Billy has been better so far this season. The injuries are no doubt the major factor in Holman's reduced form.

I see that he got a hat-trick today against Bournemouth so hopefully that is a sign of things to come.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:Remember the days when Mickey Bell took corners and it looked like we'd score from every single one of them...? That used to be fun!
And the Billy Jones (corner taker) > Keith Lowe (scorer) combination that was so deadly.

BJ definitely best at getting balls in.
shevates
Holman has yet to prove himself at this level. He failed in the football league before This season so far Billy Waters has scored 13 goals around a third of our total goals scored that's proving yourself
Shade
Billy has scored 10 in the League. 10/36. We should have 3 players on or around the 10 goal mark. And preferably one on 15+.