Accrington Stanley v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Updates here throughout the afternoon: http://bit.ly/AccAway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
longmover
The lead lasted a minute (ish)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Glorious oppo spurned by BG one min before HT, dammit.
I-Love-CTFC
Brian Graham is diabolical. Missed an absolute sitter.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Brian Graham is diabolical. Missed an absolute sitter.
One miss doesn't make a player diabolical.
I-Love-CTFC
Genuinely one of the worst strikers i've seen in a CTFC shirt in recent years.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Genuinely one of the worst strikers i've seen in a CTFC shirt in recent years.
:roll: :lol:
Rulistening
Wasn't impressed with him last week and he is doing himself no favours today. Well not all signings can be great to start and he could still end up a good signing if he gets goals in the next few weeks. But it has to be said he has looked absolutely rubbish!
I-Love-CTFC
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Genuinely one of the worst strikers i've seen in a CTFC shirt in recent years.
Not sure why you're laughing because it's true. Type his name in on Twitter and you'll see what CTFC fans of his performance today.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I-Love-CTFC wrote:
Not sure why you're laughing because it's true. Type his name in on Twitter and you'll see what CTFC fans of his performance today.
Ah yes. A few rants angry people on Twitter, the best source of rational well deliberated insight.
Shade
FFS, he's played 4 games for us. I seem to remember Pack was much worse than Graham has been in his first half a dozen games for us before showing any promise and he turned out ok. You're an embarrassment to the club as a fan if you're slagging him off already.

Happy enough with a point, shame not all 3 but Accrington are flying high so a decent indicator if we're getting a draw there.
longmover
Brian Graham will be out top scorer this season.
Lord Elpuz
It is a pity that some fans feel the need to destroy a new signing before he’s properly settled in. Brian Graham is a quality player who will come good. He’s not yet fully fit and his sharpness will come, once the fitness level is where it needs to be, and when he is properly match fit.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shame to be held by Stanley, though they have been over performing on a good run so a good point in that context.

Need to get three points on Tuesday now.
Jon Palmer
Video interview with Gary Johnson now here: http://bit.ly/AccAway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Robin
I would class this as a very good point away. We're constantly being told the League doesn't lie and before today Accy were 3rd or 4th in the table. We haven't won away since February and haven't even scored away since the opening day, so this has to be seen as a good result.

As for writing Brian Graham off after 4 games - in his 3 league starts we have scored 7 goals, lost once. He's definitely bringing something to the team, even if it's not his own goals which, given he seems to be getting in the right positions, are bound to come soon enough.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
G G T T H wrote:As I am a person who has probably seen more of Brian Graham than most on here, my take is that he will be an excellent acquisition for us, might I suggest that rather than getting on the guys back and vilifying him, try giving support !!!
Now that Flatt is on the bench the morons need a new player to abuse.
Rulistening
Joy of football is everyone has different views. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions so no need to get so upset that others don't share yours.. its a forum after all, where people are allowed to post what they think about the club, players, matches etc etc.

I still stand by im disappointed with him so far, BUT he could still end up being a good signing for us definitely. Confidence is obviously low after recent misses. I would expect a Striker to be scoring those chances he's had more often than missing but sometimes it just goes that way and feels like nothing will go in (we had 47 shots in 3 games before colchester and 0 goals!)

So far in my opinion he's had a rubbish start, but he's got till january before i make any sort of assumptions on if he has turned out to be a good/bad signing for us
Alf
No, agreed but missed penno last week. Maybe unfair to have let him to take it but he presumably was up for it. Unfair to just criticise him, and this may seem churlish after a decent performance but we haven't a wide player or players who can pick out strikers with passes/crosses and we let a hell of a lot of goal scoring chances go by just not attacking the balls that do get into the box.
paperboy
Alf wrote:
No, agreed but missed penno last week. Maybe unfair to have let him to take it but he presumably was up for it. Unfair to just criticise him, and this may seem churlish after a decent performance but we haven't a wide player or players who can pick out strikers with passes/crosses and we let a hell of a lot of goal scoring chances go by just not attacking the balls that do get into the box.
..agree that we need to give him a fair crack of the whip,but Alf,you may not have seen him grab the ball for his penalty miss and refuse requests from several players to stand aside.
Si Robin
The pen was awful last week, but I don't see how you can criticise him for wanting to take it.

I'd be more concerned if a forward player asked someone else to take it.

There's no doubt his confidence is taking a battering with every miss (see his reaction after missing what looked like a sitter today), but as I said, he keeps getting into the right positions, goals will come as a result. The law of probability says that they will.
Arny
First league game I managed to watch this season.
I like what John Coleman, Accy's manager, wrote in programme:
"Cheltenham will provide us with a tough test, as we saw last season, only taking one point from two games against them.
We have done our homework on Cheltenham, they have not got as many points as their play has probably deserved.
We know they are capable of playing well and are probably in a false position in league........."
First half was a cracking game with both sides having plenty of opportunities to score.
Accrington could say they were unlucky when shot hit upright and bounced around goalmouth. Nearly everybody in ground thought it was a goal.
Credit must be given to Graham who put the AS defence under pressure. He failed to score partly because of good defensive work by the opposition.
I said to my neighbour that there could be plenty of goals in this game just minutes before they both went in. Got it wrong when I thought there would be more.
I overheard an Accy supporter say that the Cheltenham forward line looks handy.
Forget about the second half.
Artemis
Yes, he wanted to take the penalty. Desperate to break his duck, I guess. Glad to see (although Stoz, as skipper, should have intervened and given Dawson the ball for his hat-trick, but hey, thats water under the bridge)
Shade
The so-called sitter that Graham "missed" - maybe it's just me but on the highlights I could quite clearly make out a sliding Accrington boot get a touch of the ball just before Graham made contact with it, sending it off a different part of his foot than he would have liked.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:The so-called sitter that Graham "missed" - maybe it's just me but on the highlights I could quite clearly make out a sliding Accrington boot get a touch of the ball just before Graham made contact with it, sending it off a different part of his foot than he would have liked.
Good defending never stopped a boo boy.
Shade
Highlights. Defender definitely gets a touch as Graham shoots, for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfjC0FknE70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
longmover
Defender definitely takes the ball off Graham's foot
horlickfanclub
He also played a significant part in our goal.
longmover
horlickfanclub wrote:He also played a significant part in our goal.
He provided a number of knock downs and flicks like that against colchester
Shade
longmover wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:He also played a significant part in our goal.
He provided a number of knock downs and flicks like that against colchester
If you watch those highlights, he's involved in all of the early chances. Slid the ball through perfectly for Dawson to run onto, and brought the ball down and laid it off to Pell to knock over the top for Eisa's goal. And then, of course, was a defender toe-end away from scoring.
confused.com
beats me how Graham is getting all this stick, while Dawson gets of scott free for what looks a worse miss
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:beats me how Graham is getting all this stick, while Dawson gets of scott free for what looks a worse miss
I guess because he was a late Johnson signing and isn't Danny Wright, so the Johnson-out kids who go to games just to abuse have decided Graham is their fall-guy. If Graham fails it means more ammo for criticising Gary and the Club. Whereas if Graham succeeds the haters have to admit it was a good piece of business and they were wrong; which I doubt is something they will do in any other part of their sorry lives so won't be wanting to here either.