Yesterday

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

drgm
I'm still angry about our 'performance' against Accrington.

The essential difference between the two sides was they wanted it more. They pressed harder, won the 50-50's and
challenged for everything. This is nothing to do with ability or skill.
Despite this they were reliant on two defensive howlers to get their goals. If you leave a quality player
like McKee unmarked at a corner then don't be surprised if he scores. The second -well words fail me. A basic
blunder by a defender brought in to improve things.

My message to the players as they enjoy their Sunday off is that if you aren't prepared to chase for the ball, work hard when not in possession, challenge for headers and get stuck in then please do not cross the white line. A great many people
have paid good money to watch you perform. You owe them that at least.
Robin
Accrington were certainly more physical than us but I didn't get the impression our side lacked effort yesterday. Atanagana (who was easily my man of the match, bossed the midfield in the first half and got well stuck into them). For me the issue was really mistakes from a few players (Grimes, Moore, Flinders - kicking, Dawson), two defensive mistakes and poor finishing.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Accrington were certainly more physical than us but I didn't get the impression our side lacked effort yesterday. Atanagana (who was easily my man of the match, bossed the midfield in the first half and got well stuck into them). For me the issue was really mistakes from a few players (Grimes, Moore, Flinders - kicking, Dawson), two defensive mistakes and poor finishing.
And Manny of course whose mistake directly led to a goal.
Si Robin
I know he's far from flavour of the month, and he has made some shocking mistakes this season - but what mistakes did Grimes make yesterday? I thought it was actually one of his more assured performances, and he was let down by Manny and Taylor Moore for the goals.

I thought what yesterday proved was how desperate we are for a left-back. Taylor Moore didn't do anything particularly poorly in that position, but he was definitely not comfortable, and the lack of a left-footed outlet on the wing really didn't help him either.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:I know he's far from flavour of the month, and he has made some shocking mistakes this season - but what mistakes did Grimes make yesterday? I thought it was actually one of his more assured performances, and he was let down by Manny and Taylor Moore for the goals.

I thought what yesterday proved was how desperate we are for a left-back. Taylor Moore didn't do anything particularly poorly in that position, but he was definitely not comfortable, and the lack of a left-footed outlet on the wing really didn't help him either.
Valid question re: Grimes. But the haters gonna see what they wanna see.
drgm
Robin said:
Accrington were certainly more physical than us but I didn't get the impression our side lacked effort yesterday. Atanagana (who was easily my man of the match, bossed the midfield in the first half and got well stuck into them). For me the issue was really mistakes from a few players (Grimes, Moore, Flinders - kicking, Dawson), two defensive mistakes and poor finishing.

I agree with you about Atangana. If everyone had followed his example we would have won. Stand-out player for us yesterday. We were defensively poor though. As for Sellars -a luxury player. Needs to do far more when not in possession. Resembled a plastic bag being blown around the pitch for most of the time.
Robin
Si Robin wrote:I know he's far from flavour of the month, and he has made some shocking mistakes this season - but what mistakes did Grimes make yesterday? I thought it was actually one of his more assured performances, and he was let down by Manny and Taylor Moore for the goals.

I can recall several which went ultimately unpunished Si, a couple where he needlessly gave away possession at the back and some say he was partially culpable for the 2nd goal. I thought Moore was worse yesterday though and Eisa well off the pace up top.
Si Robin
How can he possibly be partially responsible for the 2nd goal? How can he possibly be held in any way accountable for Manny completely miscuing a header and the ball landing at the feet of the Accy player?

That has to be one of the stupidest thing I've ever read on here - and bearing in mind this is The Robin's Nest, that really is saying something.

The only, and I do mean only, way he can take any semblance of the blame is that he didn't notice the Accy keeper holding the ball for a full 18 seconds and not raising that issue with the ref.
Artemis
Yesterday was annoying, disappointing. It was however on of those days. Mo scores that early opportunity, and he is our most natural goalscorer, or Dawson hits that other one slightly to one side of the keeper, then we're ahead. And that's against a top three or four side.
We looked generally solid for most of the first half. Then heads went. This is don't forget a youngish team. We played some good football. But it was one of those days.....that's football.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Once ahead Accy spoiled the game. Not many sides will manage to come back against them and those tactics.
Robin
Apparently he allowed the ball to go over his head rather than heading it forward, I'd need to see the replay by myself but I heard others criticising him for it.
horlickfanclub
He does that a lot. Conference player, but as he is a games teacher who shouts a lot you must pick him. He has perfected the pass from his own half direct to the Skip terrace. It is more predictable than the cross bar challenge.
Robin
For me Grimes needs to be cover for Boyle, Manny or Moore not first choice as he's the weakest of our centre backs. That said, GJ seems to like him so perhaps he will do a Cranston and come good eventually.
horlickfanclub
He won't.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:He won't.
Could you let me know Friday's euromillions numbers please?
longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Once ahead Accy spoiled the game. Not many sides will manage to come back against them and those tactics.
Game management, maybe a tad rustic and the ref let it go but, its something we can learn a lot from.
horlickfanclub
Same odds apply Regency.
everyman
Robin wrote:Accrington were certainly more physical than us but I didn't get the impression our side lacked effort yesterday. Atanagana (who was easily my man of the match, bossed the midfield in the first half and got well stuck into them). For me the issue was really mistakes from a few players (Grimes, Moore, Flinders - kicking, Dawson), two defensive mistakes and poor finishing.
It seems to me that we need two defensive midfielders to give some time for the main defenders to access situations,which suggests 4-2-3-1.
everyman
everyman wrote:
It seems to me that we need two defensive midfielders to give some time for the main defenders to assess situations,which suggests 4-2-3-1.
horlickfanclub
If you can't rely on your defenders maybe they should be replaced rather than having two more in front of them . The mistakes our defenders make would not be hepled my a defensive two in midfield as the ball has usually travelled over midfield before the cock ups.
everyman
horlickfanclub wrote:If you can't rely on your defenders maybe they should be replaced rather than having two more in front of them . The mistakes our defenders make would not be hepled my a defensive two in midfield as the ball has usually travelled over midfield before the cock ups.
Are you saying all the top clubs are using 4-2-3-1 because they can`t rely on their defenders ?
horlickfanclub
I was talking about us .We are Div 2. Who plays 2 defensive midfield players amongst the top clubs?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:If you can't rely on your defenders maybe they should be replaced rather than having two more in front of them . The mistakes our defenders make would not be hepled my a defensive two in midfield as the ball has usually travelled over midfield before the cock ups.
Yes but we have to make the most of what we have. No scope to buy 3 new CBs and 3 or 4 FBs. This isn't Championship Manager.
horlickfanclub
Can we have the six moved out back then to reboot the game?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Can we have the six moved out back then to reboot the game?
Nope. No game to reboot.
Player2 Has Joined
horlickfanclub wrote:I was talking about us .We are Div 2. Who plays 2 defensive midfield players amongst the top clubs?
Spurs use Dier and Dembele/Wanyama quite often.