£5k for Scott Brown

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
That's how much it would have cost to sign him last summer: http://bit.ly/BrownCTFCReturn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ihearye
G G T T H wrote:
Jon Palmer wrote:That's how much it would have cost to sign him last summer: http://bit.ly/BrownCTFCReturn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Old news
I for one didnt know the sums involved, so thanks for posting. Interesting to get an idea of the level of payments that can be paid in L2. SB has his limitations as a keepr (in my opinion only). However, he has many supporters at the club who would, I would think, be surprised we turned him down due to £5k
Oldun
Another good decision by those who do the scouting and offer contracts in my opinion. Have a better keeper with Scott F in my opinion.
Robin
I'm split a little on this whilst I agree Flinders is a better keeper than Brown £5k is peanuts for an experienced player and why the hell did we go for Flatt when it seemed obvious he was not an improvement. You can criticise GJ but he rectified his mistake pretty quickly and we have the better final result from it so it worked out for the best in the long run.
Si Robin
I disagree. Flinders has done well this season but he is definitely not a better keeper than Scott Brown.

£5k last summer should have been the easiest decision ever, and we definitely made the wrong one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Robin
If you had asked me last summer who the better keeper was I would have said Brown but having seen Flinders I feel more confident with him in goal. Scotty is perhaps a better shot stopper but he is prone to errors and even yesterday in the first half hour he looked shakey in their goal (almost carrying the ball over the line, flapping at a cross). Flinders to me is much more a calming influence and more composed coming from crosses than Scotty but both are solid league two standard keepers.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
And what salary and contract length did Scott want? And what signing on fee, bonuses and clauses? For all we know the £5k was not the stumbling block.
longmover
Seems a bit strange to miss the signing of a club legend for the sake of £5k, the club is calling out for a player the fans can relate to (fans need heros), but CTFC don't seem to bothered about it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:Seems a bit strange to miss the signing of a club legend for the sake of £5k, the club is calling out for a player the fans can relate to (fans need heros), but CTFC don't seem to bothered about it.
See above post. For all we know the £5k was the easy bit and everything else which surrounds a transfer was what we couldn’t agree on.

Far too simplistic (but not surprising for this forum) to jump on the £5k as the only determining factor in the decision.
Robin
Scotty said he agreed a two year deal with better wages than Wycombe...
Shade
I'd have Flinders over Brown. Flinders may have a few wobbly moments but there aren't many keepers at this level that don't. His command of his area is better, he's more vocal and his kicking, whilst not amazing, is generally better than Brown's has ever been. He may not pull off quite as many amazing saves but I'd wager he will also stop a couple of goals due to his willingness to come off his line and pluck the ball out of the air.
CTFC03
I always stand behind the goal at home games and there have been times where I've heard every word of what he's saying that is how loud he is, we are lucky to have him however we were mad to say no to paying 5k for Scott Brown.
drgm
A decision like that isn't without consequences.
When Flinders joined us at the end of August we were in the relegation places with 3 points from 4 games with 9 goals conceded. You
can't entirely blame Flatt for that but maybe paying that 5K for Brown might have resulted in us being a few points better off.

With those few extra points we could now claim, with some credibility, to be a mid table side.
Alf
I didn’t realize that Scott Brown was a Cheltenham legend. That’s a bit generous.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:I didn’t realize that Scott Brown was a Cheltenham legend. That’s a bit generous.
Ever since he cried over CBB not trying in training. Those tears make him one of us. Never mind him being nicknamed Coco the Brown on here and being abused at matches by fans.
Alf
Very good shot stopper but struggled in the air with crosses which used to cost us.
Another_FoD_Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Alf wrote:I didn’t realize that Scott Brown was a Cheltenham legend. That’s a bit generous.
Ever since he cried over CBB not trying in training. Those tears make him one of us. Never mind him being nicknamed Coco the Brown on here and being abused at matches by fans.

Are you sure it was CBB?? As I’ve heard different.
Si Robin
CBB and McGlashan is what was reported

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Another_FoD_Robin wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Are you sure it was CBB?? As I’ve heard different.
Only going by the players named by the club and press.
Another_FoD_Robin
I apologise. I just couldn’t remember CBB being mentioned only McGlashan.
asl
Where is CBB these days...? Maybe a "where are they now" for Jon. ;)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:Where is CBB these days...? Maybe a "where are they now" for Jon. ;)
Chelmsford. Promotion hunting in National South.
paperboy
Robin wrote:Scotty said he agreed a two year deal with better wages than Wycombe...
Yes,so if Scotty took a pay cut of £50 PW over the two years that would have solved the 5k issue.
As others have said there may have been other factors.
shevates
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Scott flinders has been an excellent signing for us he has performed consistently all season one of the few who has reached that level. One thing I'd like to say he couldn't of been on our radar at the start of the season as we wouldn't of had flatt here on loan with Johnson regarding him as our number one. As for Scott Brown he's always been a more than decent keeper at our level Paul Cook manager at pompey enquired about his availability after they had put six past us on the last game of last season. In my opinion if it wasn't for Scott Brown's performances when he joined us on loan last season we would be in the vanarama league now he was excellent. I wasn't happy that we let Scott Brown off our target list especially at the fee he would of cost us but I will also state I'm more than happy with the signing of Flinders but it was poor decision to leave us short of a decent keeper for the start of the season but that seemed to be the case in a few positions
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Well Gary put JP and the critics straight on this issue last night.

Will the Echo apologise and / or run a story on how we offered the extra £5k but Wycombe pulled out last minute?

Cannot believe some of the tosh written on this thread.
Si Robin
Why do the Echo/JP need to apologise. They’ve merely reported what Scott Brown said in his interview.

Whether you choose to believe Scott Brown or Gary Johnson is irrelevant.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:Why do the Echo/JP need to apologise. They’ve merely reported what Scott Brown said in his interview.

Whether you choose to believe Scott Brown or Gary Johnson is irrelevant.
Players are just pawns in the game. Would Scotty have been party to talks between Manager and Chairman? For that reason I think Gary is closer to the horses mouth. Not saying SB was not saying what he thought was the case, just that it looks like as a player he didn’t know the behind the scenes details.
Jon Palmer
I won't be apologising for writing something that was 100 per cent accurate.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jon Palmer wrote:I won't be apologising for writing something that was 100 per cent accurate.
You disputing Gary’s version of events?
Jon Palmer
I won't be apologising for writing something that was 100 per cent accurate.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Not doubting you accurately reported what Scotty said. But that differs to what Gary said. Seems like you are standing firm behind Brown and this disputing Gary’s statement.
Red Duke
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Not doubting you accurately reported what Scotty said. But that differs to what Gary said. Seems like you are standing firm behind Brown and this disputing Gary’s statement.
I disagree, JP has reported accurately on what SB and GJ have said. Whether either SB and GJ were accurate in what they said is something else.
CTFC03
JP doesn't need to apologize - has it not occurred to fans that GJ may have lied to try and protect himself?
Shade
It doesn't matter who is right. JP quoted what both parties ssaid. He never said that, in his opinion, either was the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.