Missed out

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Lord Elpuz
CTFC03 wrote:GJ did an amazing job getting us back into L2 and then to keep us up but this season has been very poor for me, we were lucky that Mo Eisa hit the ground running and never looked back and getting Flinders in was a masterstroke because Flatt isn't even good enough for a part time team let alone a league side. Home form shocking, too much tinkering with team selections, not enough permanent players in at the start of the season and too heavily reliant on loans, it's great that we have a good relationship with Bristol City and long may it continue but we were so reliant on loans last season to the point where loan players and our own player were in the stand, so we have wasted money just not too much, and it's not as if the loans we had here were successful either I thought Taylor Moore started well but then was shocking in some of the games I saw him in.

Still a big summer ahead for him, I'm impressed with the "turnaround" so far, I think Mullins & Tozer are exactly what we need, the other three sound promising but I've never seen them play so unable to comment.
You don’t dispute my point that GJ has generated the cash to make better signings this summer. Thank you. One has to look upon the rebuild since we have been back in the Football League as being a steady progression based on prudent business - including loans. We did not have the funds last season to sign the quality that was needed without taking the type of risks that put us in peril under MA and Buckle. You concede that you are “impressed with the ‘turnaround’ so far” and this is surely down to the way GJ has managed the business to give us that platform. If we have a successful 2018/19 it will all be down to GJs astute management. I don’t believe we got lucky with Mo, because GJ signed him where other Clubs failed to take him after trials, so GJ spotted the potential was there and he deserved credit for that as well as the coaching that Mo himself has stated made him a better player. If we don’t have a decent 2018/19 season GJ will not get his contract renewed or worse. I have faith in GJ.
vickeryc
Lord Elpuz wrote:Speculation is what keeps the sports pages of newspapers, websites and forums alive, especially during the closed season. GJ likes to keep his cards very close to his chest and he’s pretty much ousted ‘the mole’ that was leaking targets out of CTFC a couple of years back.

We will never know Mr Johnson’s list of targets or their relative priorities. He’s gone on record to say publishing such lists is corrosive because it affects what fans and the potential new recruits think.

One thing is for certain though, he’s done an amazing job of generating cash from players and ensuring Cheltenham does not get ripped off. In the past we’ve let the Mick Duff’s and Steve Gillespie’s go for peanuts and lost players at the end of contracts for nothing. But under GJ we’ve generated very decent cash from Billy Waters, Harry Pell, Luke Thomas (the gift that keeps giving!) and potentially Mo Eisa. He’s done all this whilst keeping recruiting and wages under the strict control of budgetary constraints, getting us out of the National League and keeping us in League 2. Personally, I think he’s doing a superb job and I trust his careful recruitment policy to propel us much further this season, using the funds he’s pretty much generated himself from that recruitment policy.
Totally agree - spot-on assessment.