Sellars Off

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Lord Elpuz
Not renewing his contract.

Rumour that he’s got an offer from a National League side.

I wish him well. On his day with the ball at his feet he could cause panic in opposition defences, but he wasn’t able to produce consistently and he looked a bit lightweight in our midfield. I was always a bit surprised when GJ said he wanted bigger, stronger players after our first season back in EFL, and then we got Sellars and Morrell, and that pairing was not ideal on match day.
Johnsons Red Army
Shame. I thought Sellars had some skill. I suspect he will turn out to be a decent player in the end.
horlickfanclub
Lightweight, didn't progress. Good luck to him .
Robin
Great potential with the right attitude and coaching but still very raw and unlikely to start for us. If his next destination is the national league then I can't imagine we will get much in the form of compensation either.
Ihearye
bit of an enigma
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Another Munns. Small players can succeed when they have the quality to rise the leagues. But if they don’t have quality to get the better of big L2 brutes, cloggers and shin kickers they won’t get far.
drgm
We cannot carry players like Sellars season after season in the hope that he will repay that faith and come good.

Wasn't prepared to knuckle down and do the basics. Namely tackle, challenge for headers and running back. His marking was
non-existent. Absolute luxury player. The most disappointing thing is that Gary was prepared to give him another contract.
Robin
He was given another contract which entitles us to compensation. I doubt it will be much if he drops down a level but £10k or so is better than nothing.
Si Robin
We won't be getting compensation, JP's confirmed that on Twitter.
Robin
Interesting I wonder if we've instead agreed a sell on clause.
asl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Another Munns.
Please... Munnsy could cross the ball; Sellars' main skill was coming inside and running in straight line across the pitch. Skilful feet, yes. Ability to make things happen? Hmm...only once in a blue moon, I'm afraid.
shevates
asl wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Another Munns.
Please... Munnsy could cross the ball; Sellars' main skill was coming inside and running in straight line across the pitch. Skilful feet, yes. Ability to make things happen? Hmm...only once in a blue moon, I'm afraid.
And would you like a list of goals Munns was responsible for giving away due to him losing the ball with his back to goal ? Neither player really done enough for us
Del Boy
Robin wrote:Interesting I wonder if we've instead agreed a sell on clause.
25 per cent of nothing is still nothing
Robin
Depends how successful he is at his new club, if he does well and a bigger club buys him we take a percentage.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Depends how successful he is at his new club, if he does well and a bigger club buys him we take a percentage.
Always wondered how sell-on clauses worked. Thanks for imparting such knowledge on the forum.
theidlerich
A lot of skill and trickery; but size matters and it was sad to see him bundled off the ball so frequently. He will 'muscle up' in time and no doubt become a sought after player in a couple of years time. I wish him well for his future. Just hope that we find a decent replacement soon [ ie quick/skillful/vision]!
Artemis
He has the best close control I have ever seen at this level (and quite possibly ever). The ball seemed glued to his feet, and with good pace. However, with a tendency to cut inside, little work-rate off the ball, no end product in crossing or goals and a general lacking in game intelligence, means he's a luxury we can ill-afford to keep. Shame, but time to move on, and good luck to the lad.
Ihearye
*sigh
East End Robin
A lot of people seem to say that Sellars has potential - this is possible, but he will turn 23 in December. He really should be coming of age about now
Shade
True. It was really frustrating watching him at times because he seemed to have all the attributes to run straight through most teams, but never seemed to have either the belief that he was going to score or create at the end of it, which is backed up by some of the very unconvincing shots he had that almost dribbled through to the keeper. He never looked like he thought he was about to score when he hit a shot.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Good at dribbling but that’s it. Same as you get some players who might be good at shooting but nothing else. He’ll do well at whichever non-league level he ends up at. We need players who offer more of an all round game for their position. No loss. Onwards.