Jamie Grimes

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Remains in League Two: http://bit.ly/GrimesMacc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Horteng
Yate’sy what you doing??!! [TIRED FACE]
Robin
Macclesfield will be very lucky to stay up this season, lost their inspirational manager, one of their best players to Shrewsbury, probably 2nd lowest budget in the league and signings have been poor so far.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Who will the lowest and third lowest budgets be?
Lord Elpuz
Give the lad a chance.

Don’t forget, Grimesie was in the team that kept us up last season. He’s playing for a manager who has not been relegated with a League 2 side, and he did an incredible job keeping Solihull in the National League last season.

And don’t forget Yatesie picked Cheltenham up after the Martin Allen era, when the Club almost went into Administration, then generated income from excellent Cup runs and play off qualifications. He has a very good track record in working with very little.

I think Macclesfield could surprise one or two people. I hope so.
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Who will the lowest and third lowest budgets be?
Morecambe almost certainly have the lowest budget.
Ihearye
*sigh
Malabus
Last season scapegoat.
Fans are now looking for another, let's hope it's not a cruel 18/19 for one of our players, but I doubt the haters will change their unsavoury ways.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
longmover
The general angst against him was unacceptable but he didn't help himself by making the same mistakes
Robin
Scapegoat or just a player who made a number of very visible mistakes? Can't fault his effort and I don't think he got much abuse but it be wrong to paint him in any other way other than someone who was a weak link in the team.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Grimes was a better L2 player than Parslow and Downes were in our first season back up before they were rightly dropped. That four months of them together was probably the worst defensive partnership we have had in the League in my opinion.

Yet they are still lauded and the same who think is fine to abuse Grimes on a personal level get miffed if anyone criticises Parslow or Downes.

This where the frustrated accusations of boo-boy and scapegoat come from. Unbalanced and selective abuse (ie beyond football criticisms and into territory of personal insults) for some players but immunity for others who are just as bad or worse.

As Malabus pleaded above, let’s hope no player is picked out for special treatment this season. Given the moron-mob mentality of football fans though I do not hold out high hopes.
horlickfanclub
I can't recall any personal abuse aimed at Jamie Grimes.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:I can't recall any personal abuse aimed at Jamie Grimes.
People have definitely called him a “twat” and other insults that are unrelated to footballing ability.
Robin
I also don't recall any abuse of Grimes, generally abuse from the terraces goes towards lazy or cocky players not putting their all in. Grimes was not in that category.
THECHOIRBOY
Grimes definitely got abuse in c and g. Small groups booing his name or shouting at end of game when players clapped fans.
horlickfanclub
If that is the case it is poor. Grimes might be short on some parts of his game but you should never boo or berate a trier and there was no question about his effort.
longmover
Cheering when he got substituted and numerous instantises where abuse was aimed at him
Si Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Grimes was a better L2 player than Parslow and Downes were in our first season back up before they were rightly dropped. That four months of them together was probably the worst defensive partnership we have had in the League in my opinion.

Yet they are still lauded and the same who think is fine to abuse Grimes on a personal level get miffed if anyone criticises Parslow or Downes.

This where the frustrated accusations of boo-boy and scapegoat come from. Unbalanced and selective abuse (ie beyond football criticisms and into territory of personal insults) for some players but immunity for others who are just as bad or worse.

As Malabus pleaded above, let’s hope no player is picked out for special treatment this season. Given the moron-mob mentality of football fans though I do not hold out high hopes.
Parslow and Downes are lauded for what they achieved here. I don't think you'll find a single Cheltenham fan who will defend their performances in the Football League though.

Dale Watkins is still lauded as a great striker for the two seasons he was at the club, and he himself stated he wasn't capable of the step up.

Grimes had achieved nothing at the club, and some of his mistakes are up there with the worst I've seen from a centre-back at League 2 level - the Yeovil one on Boxing Day could make you question at the time whether he was taking money to throw the game it was that bad. He hadn't earned the goodwill that Downes and Parslow did.

With that being said, I also don't recall any personal abuse from near to where I sit, nor do I condone such behaviour. As Robin says, one thing you couldn't accuse him of was not trying, but he was a poor defender in a poor defence. I wish him all the best, except against us, but I am also very, very surprised he got another league club.
Shade
Sometimes I wonder if I have the secret alias Si Robin and unconsciously log in to express my views in a more succinct manner.

I think the words "for f#!$ sake" were uttered very many times when Grimes was playing, probably followed by an insult such as "you dickhead" or "you twat". Heat of the moment stuff.
CTFC03
I'm also very surprised he got another L2 club, unfortunately for him the bad games outweighed the good games here.