Senseless

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Mo Eisa an unused sub as he gets rusty and stagnates, whilst we don’t have anyone who can score. Both parties losing as a result of Mo leaving a year too soon.
drgm
The problem was not that we sold Eisa. The problem is that we have not replaced him.
We knew he was going to go and given the money involved we should have been able to sign an adequate replacement

Still, that's now 9 defeats in the last 10 league games
Artemis
drgm wrote:The problem was not that we sold Eisa. The problem is that we have not replaced him.
We knew he was going to go and given the money involved we should have been able to sign an adequate replacement
^^^
Robin
Today we played 70 minutes without a striker simply unacceptable.
Nesty
Artemis wrote:
drgm wrote:The problem was not that we sold Eisa. The problem is that we have not replaced him.
^^^

and we got rid of Graham, Odelusi, Holman, Wright
Robin
Those four were not good enough Nesty, simple as that.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Those four were not good enough Nesty, simple as that.
Wright and Graham would both have plundered a goal or two from Debayo’s two awesome crosses. One in first half was probably the best left wing cross I have witnessed from CTFC for ages or even all time. It took Carlisle out of the game, but unfortunately the tiny Addai even leaping a fifth of his own height into the air was never going to get it. Wright or Graham would have lapped it up and the goal would have been almost a certainty.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 18 Aug 2018, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
Ralph
GJ needs to get Mo back for a season on loan right now
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:GJ needs to get Mo back for a season on loan right now
Would certainly be in Mo’s best interest to come back and develop more here rather than fading into obscurity and stalling his career on City’s bench.
Artemis
Most of our strikers of our FL times would have got something from that Debayo cross. Even Damien Spencer and Paul Connor. Not sure about Jason White though.
Ihearye
Lol would have bounced of Jasons a55!
leohoenig
Ihearye wrote:Lol would have bounced of Jasons a55!
Jason White may well have let it hit his a55, and bounce off the post, but Jason Eaton would have scored
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
leohoenig wrote:
Jason White may well have let it hit his a55, and bounce off the post, but Jason Eaton would have scored
Quick game.

List the top five CTFC strikers, in order of how emphatically they would have headed that goal-deserving cross from Debayo into the net. Mine are:

Julian Alsop
Ben Burgess
Jason Eaton
Danny Wright
Lloyd Owusu
shevates
Danny Rowe 5 games 5 goals . Would of cost a lot, but whats the point of sitting on Mo's pot of gold and watching us slide out of the league, because spending it in January will be to late going by the fecking garbage were watching at present
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
shevates wrote:Danny Rowe 5 games 5 goals . Would of cost a lot, but whats the point of sitting on Mo's pot of gold and watching us slide out of the league, because spending it in January will be to late going by the fecking garbage were watching at present
In my opinion, the side which played yesterday, if they keep up the same style of play and attack, will not be in danger of going down. Still a couple of players having to adapt to League football but just an improvement in a couple of percent in their speed aof thought and movement and I would expect several goals a game. The first half was such a weight off the shoulders for me; I could sit back and enjoy attacking running football going forward at pace. Such a contrast from the torture of last season’s bore-ball and something I look forward to seeing again.
shevates
But for all your build up play that clearly excited you Sam, there was no striker to put the ball inbetween those white sticks. Gone have the likes of Mo, Wright, Graham to be replaced by Tozer fecking laughable. Hes clueless
Artemis
I'm with Steve here. We need someone to stick the ball between those white sticky things. McAlinden and Lloyd might be able to, but unless they play, then we'll never know.
Quite what George Lloyd must be thinking when two wingers, McAlinden and Ben Tozer get a game up front ahead of him.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
leohoenig wrote:
Quick game.

List the top five CTFC strikers, in order of how emphatically they would have headed that goal-deserving cross from Debayo into the net. Mine are:

Julian Alsop
Ben Burgess
Jason Eaton
Danny Wright
Lloyd Owusu
You missed Neil Grayson! :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
shevates wrote:But for all your build up play that clearly excited you Sam, there was no striker to put the ball inbetween those white sticks. Gone have the likes of Mo, Wright, Graham to be replaced by Tozer fecking laughable. Hes clueless
Yes that was obviously a concern and disappointment. Tozer up front is poor and that is why Andy W has told Gary he needs to get a big striker in. I do think that Kalala and Addai will start scoring once they get up to pace - a few times when they hesitated or delayed a second too long, as the defenders grant less time in the League than in their previous levels. But obvious that Gary has to sign some experience and height to go up front.

Graham would have been decent yesterday. Whatever has gone on to make him leave, I wish it hadn’t.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote:
Quick game.

Julian Alsop
Ben Burgess
Jason Eaton
Danny Wright
Lloyd Owusu
Begrudgingly left off due to his height. I don’t think he would have got up high enough to head in as emphatically as the big pile drivers I chose.
Sprout Picker
Sprout Picker wrote:
Quick game.

Julian Alsop
Ben Burgess
Jason Eaton
Danny Wright
Lloyd Owusu
Begrudgingly left off due to his height. I don’t think he would have got up high enough to head in as emphatically as the big pile drivers I chose.
Did you see Grayson head a ball?! As much as I liked Easton, I wouldn't be putting him ahead (see what I did there?!) in the heading stakes.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I sure did. Grayson’s header against vs Cardiff goes through my mind’s eye most times I think about CTFC!

But take Eaton’s winning header at Wembley for example - I do not think Grayson would have had the height to have made the header.

So yes, whilst Grayson would be in my top three headerers, the question was talking about Debayao’s cross specifically.
vickeryc
shevates wrote:Danny Rowe 5 games 5 goals . Would of cost a lot, but whats the point of sitting on Mo's pot of gold and watching us slide out of the league, because spending it in January will be to late going by the fecking garbage were watching at present
In my opinion, the side which played yesterday, if they keep up the same style of play and attack, will not be in danger of going down. Still a couple of players having to adapt to League football but just an improvement in a couple of percent in their speed aof thought and movement and I would expect several goals a game. The first half was such a weight off the shoulders for me; I could sit back and enjoy attacking running football going forward at pace. Such a contrast from the torture of last season’s bore-ball and something I look forward to seeing again.
I felt the same. However, the obvious inexperience up front was easily snuffed out by an experienced, competent, defence. It's no good crying over spilt milk, but having not invested in an experienced striker like Akinde with the Pell receipts, it's mystifying that Graham (for all his injury problems) was allowed to go. The club was right, though, to not persist with Rowe, for reasons that were plain to see.

It is a conundrum. There was no certainty that Mo would leave until he did, although many seemed to think otherwise. Until we had the receipts from his sale, it would've been risky breaking the bank for an advance replacement. For all I know, the club may have pursued other proven strikers during the summer but they may not have wanted to come here or maybe more attractive offers trumped ours. Whatever, we are where we are and, subject to getting someone special in on loan, we have to work with what we've got.

There have been some positives, particularly the defence, which has not been leaking goals. Mullins has been a real plus and it's great to see Forster back. I was also impressed yesterday with Conner Thomas and Kalala, who looks an amazing talent. The strikers are inexperienced, but the only way they will improve and learn is to play them like we did Eisa. There is a reluctance to play Lloyd even though he did fine in half a dozen games at the end of last season. It was a real blow that Duku was badly injured in only his second outing. Who'd be a manager!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
vickeryc wrote:
I felt the same. However, the obvious inexperience up front was easily snuffed out by an experienced, competent, defence. It's no good crying over spilt milk, but having not invested in an experienced striker like Akinde with the Pell receipts, it's mystifying that Graham (for all his injury problems) was allowed to go. The club was right, though, to not persist with Rowe, for reasons that were plain to see.

It is a conundrum. There was no certainty that Mo would leave until he did, although many seemed to think otherwise. Until we had the receipts from his sale, it would've been risky breaking the bank for an advance replacement. For all I know, the club may have pursued other proven strikers during the summer but they may not have wanted to come here or maybe more attractive offers trumped ours. Whatever, we are where we are and, subject to getting someone special in on loan, we have to work with what we've got.

There have been some positives, particularly the defence, which has not been leaking goals. Mullins has been a real plus and it's great to see Forster back. I was also impressed yesterday with Conner Thomas and Kalala, who looks an amazing talent. The strikers are inexperienced, but the only way they will improve and learn is to play them like we did Eisa. There is a reluctance to play Lloyd even though he did fine in half a dozen games at the end of last season. It was a real blow that Duku was badly injured in only his second outing. Who'd be a manager!
Also, splashing out before selling Mo would have meant rather than not needing to sell and thus being price setters, we would have had to have sold in order to balance the books, relegating ourselves to price takers.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I sure did. Grayson’s header against vs Cardiff goes through my mind’s eye most times I think about CTFC!

But take Eaton’s winning header at Wembley for example - I do not think Grayson would have had the height to have made the header.

So yes, whilst Grayson would be in my top three headerers, the question was talking about Debayao’s cross specifically.
:shock:
Grayson is 5ft 10", not sure how tall you think Eaton is?!

Aside from which they are allowed to jump.

If there is one player out of the two I think of for outstanding heading ability it is not Eaton which is not to say he was bad at all just that Grayson was better.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I sure did. Grayson’s header against vs Cardiff goes through my mind’s eye most times I think about CTFC!

If there is one player out of the two I think of for outstanding heading ability it is not Eaton which is not to say he was bad at all just that Grayson was better.
Fair enough. I probably mis-remember their heights. Didn’t mean to denigrate Larry!

Anyway, having interrogated my top five, who else is in your list?
Sprout Picker
Sprout Picker wrote:

Fair enough. I probably mis-remember their heights. Didn’t mean to denigrate Larry!

Anyway, having interrogated my top five, who else is in your list?
Haha, no worries!

Largely the same as yours other than that, Alsop being the stand out (Brentford at home in injury time a particular favourite).

Wasn't with us long and not our player technically but pretty sure Steve Brooker would have enjoyed that cross.

Sad to see the cheering from certain idiots when Debayo was subbed yesterday - he's nowhere near the finished article but there's obviously some ability alongside the occasional mistakes and some of those deliveries he put in were excellent.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I thought Debayo did well dealing with Yates who looked dangerous, and was often decent at making interceptions and finding space for other defenders to pass too. Worth pointing out that the goal came from on the right of our defence, as did most of their chances, and we were undone for pace a lot more after he went off (their shot of the woodwork etc) than we were when we he was playing.

Very sad indeed, but that is idiots for you. Still, they will get their wish if they successfully damage confidence and negatively impact on performances.
Benctfc
I think Debayo would be more suited as a winger he seems to have the pace and crossing ability and it would take the pressure of his defending and positioning.

It is always hard to come into a new team and impress when the team is lacking confidence and you have a manager who has no game plan.