Stay of execution

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Latest on Gary Johnson's future here: http://bit.ly/GJFuture" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Complete with Gary at Huish Park looking forward to Man U’s visit to Yeovil.

And there are the stats you were discussing over lunch with IH and PG.
Del Boy
A stay of execution usually ends with an execution. Johnson should not be allowed to use significant amounts of money to bring anyone in. That would be just a waste on a desperate man.
Robin
Quiet down Del Boy GJ needs to be given money to sign at least one striker, probably two.
Ralph
He says he needs 2 strikers. Sounds pretty down to be honest
London Exile
He’s struggled to sign the much craved target man all summer so I’m not expecting any to be signed in the next fortnight.
I think we should’ve parted company today, this decision on,y delays the inevitable for me, it’s like the Mark Yates situation all over again.
Robin
Looks like a defeat Tuesday and it's over, the board absolutely have to be looking for a successor now though.
Del Boy
Robin wrote:Looks like a defeat Tuesday and it's over, the board absolutely have to be looking for a successor now though.
So why give him any chance to waste more money on poor players?
Artemis
It's that beard. Shave it off Gary, and everything will be alright again. Or alternatively, sign some over 5ft tall who can score goals. By Tuesday. What's Neil Grayson up to?
Artemis
Del Boy wrote:
Robin wrote:Looks like a defeat Tuesday and it's over, the board absolutely have to be looking for a successor now though.
Ummm, because they might not be poor players?
Del Boy
Artemis wrote:
Del Boy wrote:
Ummm, because they might not be poor players?
His track record with recruitment says there's a fair old chance they will be.

He's signed 14 players this summer and still we're chronically short in the most vital position. If he doesn't go soon we could be adrift.

No points, no goals but there's still hope if he goes.
Nesty
So are we saying If we lose Tuesday he is gone . I wonder how hard the players will be trying?
tunnelvision
London Exile wrote:He’s struggled to sign the much craved target man all summer so I’m not expecting any to be signed in the next fortnight.
I think we should’ve parted company today, this decision on,y delays the inevitable for me, it’s like the Mark Yates situation all over again.
I was very much on the fence regarding GJ, as I well remember the result of the Yates sacking. However, the similarities are striking (unlike our forwards - sorry, couldn't resist!). Both became too predictable, with tired systems. It's not a knee jerk reaction. Under Yates the football became dire, for well over a season, and regardless of previous successes, it was time for him to go. Unfortunately, we left it far too long and I think that we may be in danger of doing the same with GJ.

As a season ticket holder, I'm sick of seeing midfielders pushed up front, as makeshift centre forwards, especially when there's forwards sitting on the bench. Today was the last straw for me, when we took off a perfectly fit centre forward (Kalala) for said midfielder. The best finisher in the club (Lloyd) left on the bench when chasing the game.

The only positive for me was the effort put in by the players, but how long before the dressing room falls apart?

I think GJ has signed some promising players, especially Broom and Kalala, but we've gambled on too many untried players, either youngsters or those from much lower divisions. We need a core of experienced professionals that won't be intimidated by the bully boy tactics of the opposition.
asl
Nesty wrote:So are we saying If we lose Tuesday he is gone . I wonder how hard the players will be trying?
Given that most of them were bought by GJ in the last two months, I'd be shocked if they gave less than 100%.
Artemis
Del Boy wrote:
His track record with recruitment says there's a fair old chance they will be.
Yes, some dross has signed on. But I'd say this is a case of very selective memories.
Johnny Mullins, Harry Pell, Scott Flinders, Dan Holman, Mo Eisa, et al.

So I'd say a fair old chance they won't be. So shall we just wait and see?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The wording of the statement suggests to me patience will stretch beyond Tuesday - what can anyone expect Gary to change in terms of personnel in two working days?
Artemis
My thoughts exactly. I think he has until the end of the window to get two players in on loan / loan to permanent.
We looked decent apart from at the sharp end.
kags
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:The wording of the statement suggests to me patience will stretch beyond Tuesday - what can anyone expect Gary to change in terms of personnel in two working days?
Sorry but tough, GJ has had all Summer to sort out the squad and money available. Patience is running out, did we have no strategy or planning in the transfer window? Brian Graham not in the plans and Mo was going all along so we definitely needed to replace 2 strikers with quality and had the funds and wages from those. Pell and Winchester gone our 2 best midfielders not replaced either, not just problems up front where we are lacking.

All the eggs in the Danny Rowe basket is the biggest joke. Fylde were never going to sell as they have bags of cash, Rowe is also on a wage we could barely match either. Not sure if the lack of action is wholly down to GJ or the board but the damage could already be done, left scrabbling round for free agents and loans at this late stage.

I want GJ to stay and be a success, but Gary, Pete and the board need to pull something out the bag even for a short term fix now I'm afraid. Relegation again is unthinkable, as much as that sounds ridiculous 3 games in. Most fans who have been watching football for years and years at this level and others can see what we need and are rightly concerned.
Artemis
Just throwing a few free agent names about:
Paul Hayes, Darren Bent, Cody McDonald, Jimmy Spencer, Gabby Agbonlahor, Richard Brodie.
Nesty
asl wrote:
Nesty wrote:So are we saying If we lose Tuesday he is gone . I wonder how hard the players will be trying?
Given that most of them were bought by GJ in the last two months, I'd be shocked if they gave less than 100%.
Flinders, Boyle, Forster, Atangana, Dawson were all here last season - so thats almost 50%
Robin
Artemis wrote:Just throwing a few free agent names about:
Paul Hayes, Darren Bent, Cody McDonald, Jimmy Spencer, Gabby Agbonlahor, Richard Brodie.
I genuinely wouldn't touch most of them, Cody McDonald is work a look though.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Darren Bent would be decent if motivated.
horlickfanclub
Sack brother Pete.
little mo
Artemis wrote:Just throwing a few free agent names about:
I understand that you are only putting the names up and not saying we should sign any of those, but if that is the choice, keep the money in the bank. We are doomed. :D
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Darren Bent played 15 Championship games between January and May 2018. Unbelievable that people would reject a free transfer for a player with 486 Championship and Premier League games and 176 goals at that level, but are keen to gamble £250k or whatever it is on someone who has got to the age of 28 without kicking a ball in the football league.
little mo
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Darren Bent played 15 Championship games between January and May 2018. Unbelievable that people would reject a free transfer for a player with 486 Championship and Premier League games and 176 goals at that level, but are keen to gamble £250k or whatever it is on someone who has got to the age of 28 without kicking a ball in the football league.
Yes he did play 15 times and scored 2 goals. His wages would almost certainly break our wages cap by some way.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
little mo wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Darren Bent played 15 Championship games between January and May 2018. Unbelievable that people would reject a free transfer for a player with 486 Championship and Premier League games and 176 goals at that level, but are keen to gamble £250k or whatever it is on someone who has got to the age of 28 without kicking a ball in the football league.
Yes he did play 15 times and scored 2 goals. His wages would almost certainly break our wages cap by some way.
Well yes - I wasn’t saying it was a financially feasible option, but if you don’t enquire with the player you never know what wages he may want. No harm in asking the question. We need to be asking as many questions of as many players as possible over the next 10 days!!
tunnelvision
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
little mo wrote:
Well yes - I wasn’t saying it was a financially feasible option, but if you don’t enquire with the player you never know what wages he may want. No harm in asking the question. We need to be asking as many questions of as many players as possible over the next 10 days!!
And maybe it'd put a few hundred on the gate and sell a few more shirts too!
asl
I'm only surprised certain people haven't suggested "Bent" being an appropriate name for the back of the shirts from our local league 2 rivals...