Fans' forum

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Updates here this evening: http://bit.ly/CTFCForum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
Sounds like we are feeling the effects of the panic signings made after GJ was sacked, board already stating not to expect big signings and Duff hinting there may be no money available.
CTFC03
Really? That's bad news if so.
Robin
Other key take away was club want to buy Seasons but at the moment other financial priorities but something we would do if another decent player sale.
Robin
Duff seems to be answering the questions well in fairness, nothing flashy but clearly has a passion and vision for what he wants.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Thanks JP. Great coverage.

Decent questions and very good answers.

Good to see Duff pointing out the sports science issues (e.g. the distance ran vs Mangotsfield more important than the score) and good statements on loans, money and the need for a clear identity.
horlickfanclub
Revenue may come in for Luke Thomas and Mo Eisa( now playing again) to boost the Seasons fund.
Dave Beesley
Thank you to everybody who came last night. I feel it was a very productive evening, and look forward to hearing more from fellow fans in the future.

I told a few people last night, but if you have anything you would like to discuss, I can be contacted via - fed@robinstrust.org or DM me on https://twitter.com/davebeesley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or https://twitter.com/robinstrust" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Two things that stood out for me.
1) the couple of players that MD has been told aren't getting new contracts at their parent clubs...I assume those are players that are already here on loan.

2) that Tom Heaton "activates his eyes" for twenty minutes before a training session. How does one activate their eyes, exactly?

Pretty good Q&A, but with a bit too much Premier League talk/comparisons for my liking. Not just at this forum either. We know the PL teams have more money, and that some are still richer than others. But I'm sure that will be dropped as MD continues to readjust to life in L2.
Jerry St Clair
Shade wrote: 2) that Tom Heaton "activates his eyes" for twenty minutes before a training session. How does one activate their eyes, exactly?
Maybe this sort of thing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyD02RxS_5I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MSB
I took that as there being two players currently at their parent club, with the follow on statement being "if they come here and enjoy it". So potentially two coming on loan in January?
Robin
Yes, I took it to mean the same i.e. potential players who are likely to join on loan with a view to a permanent deal (we have failed in this area for too long now). Of the current loan players Maddox who will go on to play higher level, Barnett may join permanently and the rest are largely not good enough.

The way we have wasted the Eisa money is quite frankly shocking in my eyes.
MSB
Robin wrote:
I only hope that there was a large percentage that was set aside for other purposes - improving areas of the ground, training facilities etc etc. - and it hasn't all been wasted. It would be so disappointing if we've used it all up on two year deals for players who aren't even getting in the first team.
Red&WhiteArmy
Robin wrote:The way we have wasted the Eisa money is quite frankly shocking in my eyes.
This admission last night (that there is no money in the coffers for January) is, to be quite frank, an absolute disgrace! 1 million quid all used up (or allocated) by mid-October!! WTF?? Paul Baker’s tenure managed to recruit squads over the years (of varying success admittedly!) without such a massive windfall, so how on earth have the board got this so wrong, so quickly?? :evil: :evil: :evil:
Ihearye
Guess that assumes we actually got £1m into our hands ? It may be possible that the down payment was not as large as we thought ? Don't know myself
horlickfanclub
It has not been said that £1m plus has been spent just that the playing budget is at maximum at the moment. There is a difference. Some of the money has gone on the Johnson and Graham pay offs.
THECHOIRBOY
Yeah agree. If you look at the 200k we were offering Rowe you could sadly see how since then we may have frittered that away - contract terminations of a fair few players and management staff, signing on fees etc
Robin
Only contract terminations have been Kalala (who was only here until January and GJ who had a deal until the end of the year). I just cannot imagine that's no more than £50,000 severance payout, hardly a significant sum if not small.
bigdavejambo
MSB wrote:
Robin wrote:
I only hope that there was a large percentage that was set aside for other purposes - improving areas of the ground, training facilities etc etc. - and it hasn't all been wasted. It would be so disappointing if we've used it all up on two year deals for players who aren't even getting in the first team.

could also be mind games too as if MD said 'we have plenty to spend in January' then clubs will play hardball and push any fees up.
Robin
I don't think it was mind games at all.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The £1m maybe staggered over five years for all we know.

And it might not be “used up” per se, but be committed elsewhere - how much have we had to pay Burnley? Duff won’t be cheap. We have 20 wages to pay over the coming year, etc.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote:
Shade wrote: 2) that Tom Heaton "activates his eyes" for twenty minutes before a training session. How does one activate their eyes, exactly?
Maybe this sort of thing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyD02RxS_5I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SWgg20IqibM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;