Ashamed

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
I've watched the videos and I do not see any flares just a smoke bomb, I also don't see one person not enjoying themselves which sums up the thirty minutes or so I was in or around the bar i.e. everyone was having a good time.
asl
Robin wrote:I also don't see one person not enjoying themselves
Not sure those running the beer tent would have been overly happy - or do they not count?
Robin
It was good natured, I don't even remember any swearing, just young kids singing, dancing and having a good time.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
Robin wrote:I also don't see one person not enjoying themselves
Not sure those running the beer tent would have been overly happy - or do they not count?
Or those shut out when it closed.

Also, don’t see any of the different age groups, families, etc Robin said were in there - looks like they had already left as it was only the kids still in the tent. Shame it became a no-go zone for most of our fans.

You’re not cool Robin and I don’t know why you go to so many extremes to defend pyros and smoke bombs. If someone’s kid with asthma or an allergy, or an elderly person, is seriously injured by smoke/flares/whatever what will you say then? That it’s their own fault for going to a football match with asthma and they should expect to be gassed in a tent?

You mug.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:It was good natured, I don't even remember any swearing, just young kids singing, dancing and having a good time.
I didn’t know singing and dancing created smoke and smashed furniture. Why were the smoke bombs/flares/whatever even there? Just go to the game and sing and dance without them and no one cares and everyone has a great time. Not a hard concept Robin, jeez.

I can picture Robin at pyromaniacs anonymous...”Hi, I’m Robin and I can’t sing, dance or support a football team without setting off smoke bombs or flares.”
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 21 Oct 2018, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
asl
I have to agree. Smoke bombs are as illegal at football matches as flares so shouldn't have been there. There was an earlier post that suggested the table wasn't deliberately smashed, it merely disintegrated when people jumped up and down on it. The mind boggles...
kiaora84
RSC stop attention seeking.

I don’t see anywhere in my post that defends or praises those that were involved and no one has denied a smoke bomb was let off in a tent.

Is the story nonsense? Yes, as most of it is untrue or over exaggerated as confirmed by 99% in attendance (ctfc and fgr fans).

Is the media a key player in the ever growing issues during these fixtures? Yes their constant sensualising of headlines and misreporting just keep adding fuel to the fire they created with this El Glosico nonsense.

Now, I suggest you take a break from your obsessive posting on here, go get some fresh air.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
kiaora84 wrote:RSC stop attention seeking.

I don’t see anywhere in my post that defends or praises those that were involved and no one has denied a smoke bomb was let off in a tent.

Is the story nonsense? Yes, as most of it is untrue or over exaggerated as confirmed by 99% in attendance (ctfc and fgr fans).

Is the media a key player in the ever growing issues during these fixtures? Yes their constant sensualising of headlines and misreporting just keep adding fuel to the fire they created with this El Glosico nonsense.

Now, I suggest you take a break from your obsessive posting on here, go get some fresh air.
See recent post re: agreeing with your comments on nonsense and sensational headlines. But are you really suggesting that building up the game as ‘El Glosico’ causes kids to break the law and risk causing harm to others by taking smoke bombs/incendiaries to a football game?

As for fresh air - I have been picking apples and other activities on the allotment for a few hours today and writing much of this whilst walking along the beach/sea front so have had plenty. Luckily no local press ruined it by encouraging kids to spoil the air with smoke bombs eh?
kiaora84
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

See recent post re: agreeing with your comments on nonsense and sensational headlines. But are you really suggesting that building up the game as ‘El Glosico’ causes kids to break the law and risk causing harm to others by taking smoke bombs/incendiaries to a football game?

As for fresh air - I have been picking apples and other activities on the allotment for a few hours today and writing much of this whilst walking along the beach/sea front so have had plenty. Luckily no local press ruined it by encouraging kids to spoil the air with smoke bombs eh?
Absolutely, if you are going to label something and build it up, kids/idiots are going to jump on the bandwagon. Then the continual misreporting just creates a ‘one upmanship’ atmosphere.

It’s all over social media how FGR ‘fans’ are going to get there own back etc etc. People believe what they read.

Are the media solely responsible? Absolutely not, you clearly still need the morons that buy into this ‘culture’.

If they reported exactly what happened then it barely be getting a mention.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
kiaora84 wrote:

Absolutely, if you are going to label something and build it up, kids/idiots are going to jump on the bandwagon. Then the continual misreporting just creates a ‘one upmanship’ atmosphere.

It’s all over social media how FGR ‘fans’ are going to get there own back etc etc. People believe what they read.

Are the media solely responsible? Absolutely not, you clearly still need the morons that buy into this ‘culture’.

If they reported exactly what happened then it barely be getting a mention.
Completely agree with all of that.
SHANDY VOR
Coincidentally I turned up at City's game with some flares today and was stopped by the stewards who wanted a word. Nothing incendiary about that, even if he told me to have a word with myself about my outdated dress sense.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:Coincidentally I turned up at City's game with some flares today and was stopped by the stewards who wanted a word. Nothing incendiary about that, even if he told me to have a word with myself about my outdated dress sense.
Feel free to light up the fashion thread if you have any burning issues.
everyman
SHANDY VOR wrote:Coincidentally I turned up at City's game with some flares today and was stopped by the stewards who wanted a word. Nothing incendiary about that, even if he told me to have a word with myself about my outdated dress sense.
Do you post on here to appear to a larger audience who might enjoy your love of your cleverness ?
SHANDY VOR
Yes and no
Lord Elpuz
I didn’t attend yesterday’s game because of the diabolical way we were treated at TNL last November. I was angered that I was refused admission to their indoor bar, as I was cold and in need of warm food and drink, but also rather annoyed because Cheltenham Town allow visiting fans in our bar, as we trust visiting supporters to respect our premises.

Imagine if visiting fans at Johnny Rocks were jumping on our tables, letting off smoke bombs or flares (or wearing them in SHANDY’s case) and goading our fans into a scrap.

Sadly, I can now see why FGR won’t let our fans in their nice warm bar and extend said hospitality to us. I am saddened to think that anyone who sees jumping on other people’s property and letting off smoke bombs inside a tent can pass as creating a good atmosphere. It’s criminal activity. I’m glad I wasn’t at the game now, for a completely different reason as to why I didn’t go in the first place. I too am ashamed.
Jerry St Clair
RCS is right. The whole thing in the tent looked fine and great fun.

Except for the flare/smoke bomb. Utterly, utterly brainless and stupid.

Surely we, as fellow fans, have a responsibility to get a grip of this? If I was there I'd have very happily spoken to the flarer (?) and asked what the hell he thought he was doing. They seem quite happy that they upset FGR fans, the club and the police. I don't think they want to become pariahs among their own fans, though. So, when we see this stuff lets, collectively, challenge them and rid our support of this behaviour.
Shade
That wouldn't make any difference. You obviously don't have much experience with people of their mindset.
Jerry St Clair
Shade wrote:That wouldn't make any difference. You obviously don't have much experience with people of their mindset.
There is evidence it has worked among other groups of fans, so I beg to differ.
Shade
Where? Banning orders are all that works. Fans get the message then.
Alf
Is it the media or the fans that have turned FGR into our newly hated rivals.
Surely it is Gloucester City that has always been our rivals, certainly since I was a kid and that was a long time ago. The fact that they’ve slipped behind a bit is immaterial. If Everton dropped to Div 2 they would still be the rivals of Liverpool supporters who wouldn’t suddenly start picking on Tranmere if they were doing better.
Until recently we’ve always had a good relationship with FGR, It’s all a bit pathetic really.
ctfc-fan
Alf wrote:Is it the media or the fans that have turned FGR into our newly hated rivals.
I’d say Stale Mince has done a good job of this himself with the nonsense that comes out of his mouth about us.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:Is it the media or the fans that have turned FGR into our newly hated rivals.
Surely it is Gloucester City that has always been our rivals, certainly since I was a kid and that was a long time ago. The fact that they’ve slipped behind a bit is immaterial. If Everton dropped to Div 2 they would still be the rivals of Liverpool supporters who wouldn’t suddenly start picking on Tranmere if they were doing better.
Until recently we’ve always had a good relationship with FGR, It’s all a bit pathetic really.
It is Vince’s remarks about CTFC and the treatment of our fans by FGR in recent years that has turned many against them.

Plus it’s rare our wannabe hooligan school drop-outs can find a group of kids more pathetic and less streetwise than they are so they are trying to capitalise on that position.
Jerry St Clair
Shade wrote:Where? Banning orders are all that works. Fans get the message then.
The England national team, to a certain extent, and very definitely the Scottish national team. Wolves fans 'patrolled' the subways around Molineux after games to protect innocent away fans from the their 'Subway Army', making it clear that they didn't want them representing the Wolves. I'd heard about it and saw it with my own eyes. Groups of peaceful fans forming a human shield and telling their moronic brethren they weren't wanted.

You genuinely don't think that if a group of Cheltenham fans in the tent on Saturday had approach flare boy and said "Oi, this is mostly fine, but ditch the flare" it wouldn't have had any effect? Maybe not, but I think we should try.
Ihearye
ASL you only have to read some of the comments that have been posted on here around FGR mathes and the laughingly attaching the EL 5HITICO tag to it as if it was something! Then we have the usual attempts to try and either belittle the events or excuse them. They are a bunch of vvankers I would gladly see banned for life
Robin
Jerry St Clair wrote:
Shade wrote:Where? Banning orders are all that works. Fans get the message then.
The England national team, to a certain extent, and very definitely the Scottish national team. Wolves fans 'patrolled' the subways around Molineux after games to protect innocent away fans from the their 'Subway Army', making it clear that they didn't want them representing the Wolves. I'd heard about it and saw it with my own eyes. Groups of peaceful fans forming a human shield and telling their moronic brethren they weren't wanted.

You genuinely don't think that if a group of Cheltenham fans in the tent on Saturday had approach flare boy and said "Oi, this is mostly fine, but ditch the flare" it wouldn't have had any effect? Maybe not, but I think we should try.
Sounds a bit too much like common sense for some on here Jerry.
Robin
Ihearye wrote:ASL you only have to read some of the comments that have been posted on here around FGR mathes and the laughingly attaching the EL 5HITICO tag to it as if it was something! Then we have the usual attempts to try and either belittle the events or excuse them. They are a bunch of vvankers I would gladly see banned for life
Those kids are the future of the club, they go home and away, get all the songs going behind the goal. To talk of banning them is utterly ridiculous.
Ralph
Robin wrote:
Ihearye wrote:ASL you only have to read some of the comments that have been posted on here around FGR mathes and the laughingly attaching the EL 5HITICO tag to it as if it was something! Then we have the usual attempts to try and either belittle the events or excuse them. They are a bunch of vvankers I would gladly see banned for life
Those kids are the future of the club, they go home and away, get all the songs going behind the goal. To talk of banning them is utterly ridiculous.
Not much of a future for our support base with those little kids there then
Si Robin
It must be me getting old or something because I honestly can't see the fascination with flares and smoke bombs.

Singing and chanting is one thing (as long as it's not offensive) and a great atmosphere can be created from it - but there has to be a line, and the evidence would suggest that the line was crossed on Saturday.

Two seasons ago Portsmouth fans took over Parklands, the majority of them looked a lot like the lads in the posted videos with their jackets and caps (I'm not going to pretend I know what the decent makes are these days). They were loud, they were brash, but most importantly, they were respectful of their surroundings. If someone wanted to cause the trouble, they would have stood their ground and it could have got nasty, but they certainly weren't looking for it themselves. No tables were broken and Fred was gutted they got promoted.

I had a drink with a few of them afterwards and they were the sort of fans you wanted to stop and get absolutely plastered with (the wife being 6 months pregnant meant I couldn't hang around too long after the game).

That's how you handle yourselves when you're a big club with a big following. The kids on Saturday have a lot to learn. One suspects that had they been in Parklands before and after the Pompey game then they wouldn't have been as loud and as brash as they were in Nailsworth.
Ihearye
Robin wrote:
Forget about the whole flat earth posts etc etc. This is the most outrageous, saddest post I have read on here. How can you even begin to attempt to excuse criminal behaviour? Because they sing a few songs ? Are you for real. Ban the vermin and get rid
Robin
Let's agree to disagree Ihearye honestly I don't want to waste my time arguing this point, it's just not worth it. My only question if I may ask without stoking the flames, were you there and did you see it with your own eyes?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Let's agree to disagree Ihearye honestly I don't want to waste my time arguing this point, it's just not worth it. My only question if I may ask without stoking the flames, were you there and did you see it with your own eyes?
Look at the video. Are you denying the smoke bomb(s)/ was set off in the tent?

If not, are you claiming that smoke bombs in a tent and breaking furniture is fine?

If not, what are you on about?
Johnsons Red Army
Robin wrote:
Just because they sing the loudest and get behind the team certainly does not excuse their nobhead/arsehole behaviour. Definitely not. I'm with ihearye and say give them all lifetime bans.
Robin
Robin wrote:Let's agree to disagree Ihearye honestly I don't want to waste my time arguing this point, it's just not worth it. My only question if I may ask without stoking the flames, were you there and did you see it with your own eyes?

If not, are you claiming that smoke bombs in a tent and breaking furniture is fine?

Honestly I despair. I just cannot be bothered to engage in this thread anymore but for simplicity we have the keyboard warriors out in force here calling to ban fifty odd young kids for singing and dancing. Seemingly because one of them let off a smoke bomb we should ban them all. In contrast everyone there was having a good time, there were young kids, families, old people all around and not one person complained that speaks volumes. As Jerry said if you have a problem with them go and talk to them instead of writing rubbish on here (*you can find them at all home games behind the goal and they travel to most away games too).
Malabus
Anglo Saxons are rowdy by nature and I will fight to protect Anglo Saxons customs and traditions in this ruined land.
Johnsons Red Army
Robin wrote:

Honestly I despair. I just cannot be bothered to engage in this thread anymore but for simplicity we have the keyboard warriors out in force here calling to ban fifty odd young kids for singing and dancing. Seemingly because one of them let off a smoke bomb we should ban them all. In contrast everyone there was having a good time, there were young kids, families, old people all around and not one person complained that speaks volumes. As Jerry said if you have a problem with them go and talk to them instead of writing rubbish on here.
To clarify, if it wasn't already clear, my issue is with their nobhead/arsehole behaviour:

• Setting off smoke bombs/flares inside a tent, giving no regards to any of the other occupants/customers/fans
• Criminal damage to the tables
• Goading the FGR fans behind the goal the whole match instead of simply watching the game like a normal fan (I was sat right behind the large group that got kept behind at the end by the police, this was the same group that trashed the bar and did the other events above)
• Looking for trouble in Nailsworth before the match (see video from Stroud News and Journal) (possibly in Stroud as well as they were singing "Run away run away run away" during the match to the FGR fans, and shouting to them asking why they ran away in Stroud McDonalds car park earlier in the day. If this is true, then they were obviously looking for trouble in Stroud before the match in addition to the video evidence available from Nailsworth.)

Need I go on as I have more if required????