Cheltenham Town v Leicester City

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon http://bit.ly/LeicesterH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
Enjoyed that today, probably 3000 or so home fans for a friendly is also encouraging. I'd say we played very well today, dropping off slightly once they equalised and took off some of our better players but you have to recognise the quality of their first team too.
horlickfanclub
Some encouraging signs and a decent performance from Debayo.
art vandalay
We kept our shape well and the defence worked hard for each other. Good games from Varney and Broom, Debayo looked decent, Ince & Campbell fairly quiet IMO, former looks like he likes to get his foot on the ball and knock it around, maybe not a lot of pace though, don't think the balance is yet there in midfield, definitely need a Pell type.
Robin
Yeah midfield is the spot where we clearly need to strengthen the first team, either with a creative forward passer or a box to box player. Cole did ok when he came on but I'm still not convinced he improves the first eleven which is what we need.
CTFCfan99
Highlights available here, you need to sign up but it's free: https://www.lcfc.com/tv/1290377/chelten ... ter-city-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Andy
Robin wrote:probably 3000 or so home fans for a friendly is also encouraging.
You really think all those in the home end were there as Cheltenham fans?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robin
The vast majority were yes but some clearly would have turned up just to see a Premiership team, what was our average crowd for league games last season around 3200?
shevates
There were 2500 home fans leicester brought 1224. I think most would agree it was a decent showing, but its easy to see were we are lacking as many have pointed out, the centre of the pitch is lacking 2 quality players who can win the ball, play a telling pass and get firward to take a shot at goal. We need midfielders who can score and i feel we havnt got them.
theidlerich
I know this is rather late, but chatting to a colleague ( at the Cheltenham Ckt Fest) who watched vs Leics. He observed that the defence looked ok for lg2; but wondered where the goals and “goal assists” would be coming from!
I hope someone will post after tonight s friendly current observation s on this theme. Ta!
shevates
Well i think your friend is spot on, our defensive squad looks a good unit and Ince infront of what defensive formation we opt for looks a great signing, but last night it showed we lack two central midfielders who can tackle pass a telling ball and score 6 goals apiece in the league. We know varney is quality lets hope Campbell shows quality as well. We are woefully short in the centee of the park
art vandalay
Both Atangana and Dawson were high-energy, very influential players last season, each probably for 3 months spells at different times. Despite this, midfield was still regarded as our weak spot and neither has been replaced with a similar player, so I'd have to say that, right now, the midfield is looking worse than year and in desperate need of improvement.
Robin
I feel our front three or Reid, Varney and Campbell is decent at this level but not convinced Addai/Lloyd are more than bench/cover options so any injuries and we look very thin up front. The same is probably true of our back three.
Robin
art vandalay wrote:Both Atangana and Dawson were high-energy, very influential players last season, each probably for 3 months spells at different times. Despite this, midfield was still regarded as our weak spot and neither has been replaced with a similar player, so I'd have to say that, right now, the midfield is looking worse than year and in desperate need of improvement.
I liked Nige but Ince is much better from what I've seen, quite possibly the best midfielder in teh league.
everyman
Robin wrote:
art vandalay wrote:Both Atangana and Dawson were high-energy, very influential players last season, each probably for 3 months spells at different times. Despite this, midfield was still regarded as our weak spot and neither has been replaced with a similar player, so I'd have to say that, right now, the midfield is looking worse than year and in desperate need of improvement.
I liked Nige but Ince is much better from what I've seen, quite possibly the best midfielder in teh league.
Cross fingers and toes,hope he stays fit !
GingerRedMan
Talking of central midfielders. Anyone who went to Forest Green last season would have seen a fantastic effort by Broom. If Ince is the holding midfielder, Broom could have freedom to carry the ball and find forward space. Plus he should get a few goals

Nothing to worry about, Anyone coming in should improve the team short or mid-term. No need to just make up numbers at the moment
Shade
If Sean Long stays fit then Broom is obviously going to be playing in the middle of the pitch. I would imagine the first choice 3 at the moment in the middle will be Ince, Broom and Clements, with the latter two playing further up than Ince. In games against better attacks I assume Thomas would come in for Clements as he is slightly more defensive. That's what would mainly worry me as I'm still not convinced Thomas wins anywhere near enough 50/50's and his passing let's him down quite often.

Abo Eisa, as he has been mentioned after Tuesday, would be an interesting one given he can play out wide, up front or behind the strikers. For me, if he came in we would only need a defensive midfielder and we'd have enough in midfield and up front.
paperboy
Shade wrote:If Sean Long stays fit then Broom is obviously going to be playing in the middle of the pitch. I would imagine the first choice 3 at the moment in the middle will be Ince, Broom and Clements, with the latter two playing further up than Ince. In games against better attacks I assume Thomas would come in for Clements as he is slightly more defensive. That's what would mainly worry me as I'm still not convinced Thomas wins anywhere near enough 50/50's and his passing let's him down quite often.

Abo Eisa, as he has been mentioned after Tuesday, would be an interesting one given he can play out wide, up front or behind the strikers. For me, if he came in we would only need a defensive midfielder and we'd have enough in midfield and up front.
Fair assessment.

I was a little disappointed that we gave Clements a contract as he no better and similar to Thomas.
He's bound to be Player of the season now of course!

Ince is a very classy player,not as energetic as Nige,but passes to the same colour shirt and is currently fit to play,unlike Nige who is out till October.
Shade
The difference between Clements and Thomas is that Clements has the ability to have an excellent game and win it for us, and he can pull off some fantastic passes, but he has as many absolutely awful games as he does excellent ones, and is usually somewhere in between (L2 footballer for you). Thomas is similar but hasn't reached the high level of performance that Clements has shown glimpses of, despite being man of the match a couple of times towards the back end of last season.

Thomas is bound to be player of the season now!