Promotion

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longtimerobin
Yes it is getting to that time in the season when we look at the remaining fixtures, now we are over half way through the fixtures list we start thinking how many points we will need. We are more than capable of getting third place and automatic promotion. If we stay clear of long time injuries and of course a bit of luck going our way I think we will achieve 82 pts and be celebrating promotion on Saturday 25th April.Thanks to duffy and his team of winners.
Ben3
Unfortunately Plymouth are too far ahead so we can't even think about top three now. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RCS (2019) Normal ramblings on a weird theme South Shields; Robins nest
Robin
Top three is definitely attainable in my view but it will be tough. Swindle, Crewe, Plymouth, Exeter/Bradford and ourselves could all end up there. I suspect we'll end up fifth myself with FGR/Col U and maybe Northampton battling for the final play off places.
Ben3
It all depends on varney and ruben staying fit. Could easily win the league; could easily be 8th.

I'll go for third. FGR doing what FGR do and buying players but they look absolute dross...Swindon lost doyle...Plymouth have bust a gut to get where they are...

As I said - hard to guess
Robin
Swindle have lost both Doyle and Yates, I suspect they will fall out of the top three now.
kora
If Halam Hope gets up to full speed he'll replace one of them and they've got a week to find another one so don't write them off just yet.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben3 wrote:Unfortunately Plymouth are too far ahead so we can't even think about top three now. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RCS (2019) Normal ramblings on a weird theme South Shields; Robins nest
Two objections here.

1. I said if we lose to Bradford Plymouth could be out of reach. Possibly a 9 point gap with their game in hand.

2. Being falsely associated with South Shields or any of the infested sh!tholes South of the River (and north of North Yorks) is beyond the pale. Retract please.
Shade
I'm going to predict it now: 2 leg play-off semi v FGR. There will be running battles in the streets of Whaddon. But not outside The New Lawn because who can be arsed with that hill.
BenhallRobin
It's great to be in the mix, if we are serious contenders we really need to take something from Bradford tomorrow, 3 points would be a statement of intent.

As a previous poster mentioned, Varney and Reid's fitness is key. If we can get these two a run of games then we've every chance of a playoff spot. For me personally i think the top 3 is a bit of a stretch!!
Robin
Why is top three a stretch? I agree it won't be easy but we've been up there all season for a reason. I still think we'll end up fifth but find it insulting to the team to write off our promotion chances largely due to the fact we've not played this weekend.
Shade
I think most of us feel like Plymouth, Exeter and Swindon aren't going to drop enough points for us to catch them up. We're 6 points behind an ever improving Plymouth having played the same number of games. If we win games in hand, we're still 6 and 7 points behind the other two. It's not out of reach but those top three are starting to move away now and there's no sign of them losing two games more than us over the next few months because every time one of them drops point, we usually do too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:I think most of us feel like Plymouth, Exeter and Swindon aren't going to drop enough points for us to catch them up. We're 6 points behind an ever improving Plymouth having played the same number of games. If we win games in hand, we're still 6 and 7 points behind the other two. It's not out of reach but those top three are starting to move away now and there's no sign of them losing two games more than us over the next few months because every time one of them drops point, we usually do too.
We have to play the top two. So if we get back to our pre-November winning ways and stay in touch with the top two then if we beat them we have a real chance of top three.

This has to be the aim.
Shade
Tomorrow night will be a big indicator as to whether that is likely to happen.
Robin
Both Plymouth and Exeter have been on great runs to get where they are, perhaps I'm being too optimistic but I would expect them to drop off at some point and not sustain the existing level consistently. By our own account we had a dip in form at the end of last year when we lost some key players to injury. My expectation is when those players come back we can pick up more points given we have a relatively favourable run of games in the coming weeks.
Benctfc
Our home is what will be key if we keep winning at home the playoffs are easily achievable and who knows about top 3. I said last month our remaining home fixtures excluding Exeter are all games we will be reasonable favourites to win and so far that has proven right beating Carlisle and Walsall. Out of our remaining 10 home fixtures you would live to think we could pick up 7 or so wins if we perform like we have been and that would put us in the mix.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Benctfc wrote:Our home is what will be key if we keep winning at home the playoffs are easily achievable and who knows about top 3. I said last month our remaining home fixtures excluding Exeter are all games we will be reasonable favourites to win and so far that has proven right beating Carlisle and Walsall. Out of our remaining 10 home fixtures you would live to think we could pick up 7 or so wins if we perform like we have been and that would put us in the mix.
If we get 7 wins 2 draws and a loss in the remaining home fixtures that leaves on 67 points, which even with a handful of away points means we are well in the hunt for the play offs.

The home game vs the Cobblers will be a challenge a must not lose given they are above us in the table.
Shade
Let's hope the postponement of the Northampton game doesn't kick us in the backside. I see they've been signing players from higher up the pyramid.
theidlerich
Personally believe we are two or three quality players short; a quick goal scoring forward to convert a few more of the chances we create; a creative mid-field player and a quick level headed back. If we are in the play-offs that would be a bonus, but feel we will fall short, sadly!
horlickfanclub
May, Sheaf and Greaves ?
Robin
Based upon tonight we need another striker I'm afraid. Utterly dominant but forgot our shooting boots.
CTFC.Harry
A Right Wing back would be nice too
Ben3
I think we'll be very close. I hope my e/w bet of winning the league brings me a few quid, but if not the playoffs beckon.

It's going to be tight and up-and-down, but better this end than t'other
Shade
Amen. Let's not forget where we were a year ago, especially if we don't make the play-offs.

For the record, I do think we will make the play-offs, comfortably in the end.