Salary Cap

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RubyRedRobin
Interesting that leagues one and two have voted to implement a salary cap on player wages. Be interesting to see how the 'money clubs' fare with this news...

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/august/sq ... eague-two/
Shade
£1.5m starting this season. I doubt the vote was unanimous but can't see anything about whether it was a majority vote, etc. It just says a "clear consensus".
Hubert Parry
This suits us. I would be surprised if our budget was much more than the £1 million, if that. For a squad of 25, the mean would be £60,000 per annum.

I can see this being a big problem for the likes of Bolton, Salford and Mansfield.
Shade
And FGR, at a guess. It suits the majority of clubs in L2 and punishes those that have already done a lot of business, trying to buy their way out of the division, rewarding talented managers rather than those that can simply buy the best players. In my opinion, a salary cap is well overdue in the third and fourth tiers. It might be bad news for some players, but maybe they will have to work at becoming better players if they want to move up to the next pay grade, rather than winning the league 2 promotion with one team and then being bought by the next big boys that drop into the division. I'm sure they'd rather be playing in the division above, but now maybe they will give a little more to make sure they get there.
Robin
Hubert Parry wrote:This suits us. I would be surprised if our budget was much more than the £1 million, if that. For a squad of 25, the mean would be £60,000 per annum.

I can see this being a big problem for the likes of Bolton, Salford and Mansfield.
The figure I heard was £1.3 million Hubert, possibly been reduced now though.
Robin
Shade wrote:And FGR, at a guess. It suits the majority of clubs in L2 and punishes those that have already done a lot of business, trying to buy their way out of the division, rewarding talented managers rather than those that can simply buy the best players. In my opinion, a salary cap is well overdue in the third and fourth tiers. It might be bad news for some players, but maybe they will have to work at becoming better players if they want to move up to the next pay grade, rather than winning the league 2 promotion with one team and then being bought by the next big boys that drop into the division. I'm sure they'd rather be playing in the division above, but now maybe they will give a little more to make sure they get there.
Think the wage bill at FGR was around £3million a couple of years back, probably a lot lower now.
Si Robin
That would have been for their whole staff, not just players.

Vince has been very vocal about supporting the salary cap.
Artemis
Let's see how this pans out, but at first pass, sponsorship seems a way round the cap.
It will be interesting to see whether sanctions for cap breaches include sporting not just financial penalties.
asl
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53696424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:That would have been for their whole staff, not just players.

Vince has been very vocal about supporting the salary cap.
From what I saw previously he was calling for a £2m cap.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53696424

Not sure the PFA are calling it right on this one. Would they rather clubs go bust and leave all their players without a job?
asl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Not sure the PFA are calling it right on this one. Would they rather clubs go bust and leave all their players without a job?
Isn't that how unions work......?

Chris FGR
Vince has been one of the most vocal backers of a salary cap, which is somewhat hypocritical in some respects bearing in mind what we spent to get out of the National League.

What I found interesting was how he has also hit out at the EFL for delaying the cut-off date by a month, which has given some clubs a loophole to get players in on bigger wages, something I suspected we might have tried but by the looks of it seemingly haven't.

On top of that he also said that our current squad easily meets the cap. Maybe less of a surprise given how young it is overall, only 5 players over 24.
longmover
Chris FGR wrote:Vince has been one of the most vocal backers of a salary cap, which is somewhat hypocritical in some respects bearing in mind what we spent to get out of the National League.

What I found interesting was how he has also hit out at the EFL for delaying the cut-off date by a month, which has given some clubs a loophole to get players in on bigger wages, something I suspected we might have tried but by the looks of it seemingly haven't.

On top of that he also said that our current squad easily meets the cap. Maybe less of a surprise given how young it is overall, only 5 players over 24.

The lady doth protest too much me thinks ;) ;)