Summer transfers in league two

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

CS85
Still think we should have gone in for hm,clearly a better player than gornell and harrison.
Joey
CS85 wrote:Still think we should have gone in for hm,clearly a better player than gornell and harrison.
Howe? Nooooo.
Robin
Fully up to date as of 13th July with the season three weeks away ourselves, Chesterfield look very strong also Oxford, Burton, Pompey and Brizzle Rovers should be up there.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Our left wing and defence strength in depth looks the strongest of them all.
Pie
CS85 wrote:Still think we should have gone in for hm,clearly a better player than gornell and harrison.
No chance. The bloke has an attitude problem and his disciplinary record shows he will average 2 reds a season.
Would rather we pay a striker to play than sit in the stands.
Chelt Luke in Glos
Pie wrote:
No chance. The bloke has an attitude problem and his disciplinary record shows he will average 2 reds a season.
Scores goals though. A similar player in off and on the pitch attitude to Zebroski but a better striker.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Pie wrote:
We all would Pie. Unfortunately we had our last two seasons top scorers being paid to sit on the bench for most of last season.
trickster
asl
Funny how lot's of people on here seemed to be implying they had some kind of inside knowledge that he was signing for us, last month. Sources letting you down again, folks...? :lol:
baggy89
And Hibs
Malabus
Brian Saah played a friendly in Dagenham colours.
I-Love-CTFC
Accrington midfielder Romuald Boco is having a medical at Plymouth today. That's a top signing for Plymouth.
I-Love-CTFC
Confirmed: Boco has joined Plymouth on a one-year deal.
Malabus
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Confirmed: Boco has joined Plymouth on a one-year deal.
Good signing. Can see Plymouth up there this season.
Malabus
Rory Delap signs for Burton Albion. Ban all towels on the pitch on the 3rd August.
Hubert Parry
Yes, we seem to have a real problem dealing with long throws.
RTT
I think you find that the use of towels were outlawed before the start of last season. Whether it was a competition, FA, FIFA, or UEFA rule I cannot remember.
asl
RTT wrote:I think you find that the use of towels were outlawed before the start of last season. Whether it was a competition, FA, FIFA, or UEFA rule I cannot remember.
Haven't they got around that by having toweling material stitched into the player's shirt? Seem to recall seeing a few 'custom shirt' jobs on the TV, last season.
51/84
towels were used at sixfields in the playoffs
Si Robin
I was always under the impression that towels were allowed as long as they were available to both teams.
Shade
Si Robin wrote:I was always under the impression that towels were allowed as long as they were available to both teams.
Me too. That incident at Stoke, was it? Where the home ball boys were refusing to give them to the away team?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
Si Robin wrote:I was always under the impression that towels were allowed as long as they were available to both teams.
Me too. That incident at Stoke, was it? Where the home ball boys were refusing to give them to the away team?
And moved the advertising boards closer to the pitch to reduce run-up for Delap.

A real sorry affair when a team relies so much on off-pitch antics like towels, balls in the air, or a constant stream of players (alternating with the thug Shawcross) serving suspensions to be able to compete.

Was a real shame Stoke and the pikey nonce Pulis survived last season, but hopefully Sparky will do a QPR on them and finally get them out the Prem and let someone like Brighton or Wigan who are football teams take their place.
Robin
With two weeks to go here is how I see it:
Automatic Contenders
Chesterfield, Cheltenham, Oxford,

Play-Off
Burton, Bristol Rovers, Fleetwood, Portsmouth,

Mid-table (unlikely to seriously trouble either end of the table)
Bury, Exeter, Hartlepool, Mansfield, Northampton, Rochdale, Wycombe, Wimbledon, Newport

Relegation Candidates
Accrington - Lost their better players yet again.
Dagenham - no inward movement, inexperienced manager.
Morecambe - small squad, cost cutting, no budget.
Southend - lost all their decent players, dodgy manager, financial woes.

Dark Horses
Plymouth - some great signings, quietly improving may challenge for a top seven spot.
Torquay - have improved a lot may sneak a play off spot.
York - some decent signings, not a bad team despite their second half slump last year.
Hubert Parry
Automatic Contenders
Chesterfield, Oxford, Plymouth, Portsmouth

Play-Off chasers
Burton, Bury, Cheltenham, Fleetwood, Northampton, Scunthorpe

Bristol Rovers, Hartlepool, Mansfield, Newport, Rochdale, Southend, Torquay, Wimbledon, Wycombe, York

Relegation Candidates
Accrington, Dagenham, Exeter, Morecambe
Last edited by Hubert Parry on 19 Jul 2013, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
Interesting Sam, out of interest why do you see Oxford, Pompey and Plymouth as automatic contenders and not us?

Also interested in why you feel Northampton and Bury will challenge for the play offs.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hubert Parry wrote:Automatic Contenders
Chesterfield, Oxford, Plymouth, Portsmouth

Play-Off chasers
Burton, Bury, Cheltenham, Fleetwood, Northampton, Scunthorpe

Bristol Rovers, Bury, Hartlepool, Mansfield, Newport, Rochdale, Southend, Torquay, Wimbledon, Wycombe

Relegation Candidates
Accrington, Dagenham, Exeter, Morecambe
You have two Burys and no York.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 19 Jul 2013, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Until we have our squad up to full numbers (including loans/youth) then I cannot comment on where we shall be.
Robin
I'd suggest we will only be making one more signing and that will probably be a reserve centre back.
Hubert Parry
Robin wrote:Interesting Sam, out of interest why do you see Oxford, Pompey and Plymouth as automatic contenders and not us?

Also interested in why you feel Northampton and Bury will challenge for the play offs.
I think they have the strongest squads and have recruited very well. They also seem to have money behind them. I think our team and squad is weaker than last season - just the way I see it. That said, I think we shall finish 6-10th. I can see us finishing below the top four listed and Fleetwood, and perhaps a couple of the others listed.

Northampton have a good manager in Boothroyd and I expect them to do about as well as us. Bury have also recruited well, although I have my doubts as to how quickly they can gel.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
You have two Bury's and no York.
Blast. Amended.
Robin
Thanks, always interesting to have another perspective. Just my counter view but I don't believe there are many players from Pompey who would get into our first eleven, same also for Plymouth.

Northampton in my view have suffered from budget cuts which means they have lost a number of their better players and they have replaced them with noticeably lower standard. That said I agree Boothroyd is a decent manager so if they snuck a play off spot it would not be a surprise.

As for Bury it would not surprise me if they found themselves in a relegation battle, whole new team will take time to gel. Most of their new signings have been less than impressive and players like Grimes are known to throw their toys out of the pram when things don't go well. That said I would have taken Grimes, Soares and maybe Cameron here so their spine if fine for league two.
Hubert Parry
Robin wrote:Thanks, always interesting to have another perspective. Just my counter view but I don't believe there are many players from Pompey who would get into our first eleven, same also for Plymouth.

Northampton in my view have suffered from budget cuts which means they have lost a number of their better players and they have replaced them with noticeably lower standard. That said I agree Boothroyd is a decent manager so if they snuck a play off spot it would not be a surprise.

As for Bury it would not surprise me if they found themselves in a relegation battle, whole new team will take time to gel. Most of their new signings have been less than impressive and players like Grimes are known to throw their toys out of the pram when things don't go well. That said I would have taken Grimes, Soares and maybe Cameron here so their spine if fine for league two.
I find that argument works both ways. How many of our first eleven would get into their team? Without looking at their squads, I reckon the likes of Devera, Barcham, Connolly, Craddock, Holmes, Agyemang and maybe Sullivan would push close for Portsmouth. I wouldn't turn my nose up at Blanchard, Hourihane, Alessandra, Morgan or Boco for Plymouth either.
PilgrimInPeace
I can't see us challenging for promotion, maybe if we bring in a few more players of the calibre we've been signing, but with the current squad i think Argyle will be midtable
Chelt Luke in Glos
PilgrimInPeace wrote:I can't see us challenging for promotion, maybe if we bring in a few more players of the calibre we've been signing, but with the current squad i think Argyle will be midtable
I have high hopes for Argyle. As I used to be a plymouth fan I would like to see them promoted with Cheltenham.

I would of taken Morgan and Boco, two brilliant signings

The way I see the table finishing:

1 Chesterfield
2 Portsmouth
3 Cheltenham
4 Bury
5 Hartlepool
6 Oxford
7 Scunthorpe
8 Northampton
9 Fleetwood
10 Burton
11 Bristol Rovers
12 Plymouth
13 Mansfield
14 Southend
15 Torquay
16 Rochdale
17 Exeter
18 Newport
19 Accrington
20 Wycombe
21 Wimbledon
22 Morecombe
23 York
24 Dagenham
Shade
Chelt Luke in Glos wrote: 11 Bristol Rovers
This would very much surprise me. But I hope you're right!
Hubert Parry
Shade wrote:
Chelt Luke in Glos wrote: 11 Bristol Rovers
This would very much surprise me. But I hope you're right!
Wouldn't surprise me at all. They haven't recruited much and they have lost a lot of players. John Ward is not the type for quick promotions either.