Marlon Pack

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

taxidave
Shade wrote:If Pack goes to Crawley I will lose respect.
I am sure you wont Shade, I will still respect you. :lol:
Malabus
http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/ ... arlon-Pack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pie
Woah woah woah WOAH!!
Who is this Harry clown?

"Headless Penn"?!!! Sounds like he's seen Cheltenham a few times then ;) muppet
Si Robin
I like Marlon, wish him all the best, but there's a couple on there who think the only reason we didn't go up last season is because we didn't pass him the ball enough.

One of them even said he plays better with Carter in the team. I think we can all agree about nothing being further from the truth than that.
Pie
Si Robin wrote:I like Marlon, wish him all the best, but there's a couple on there who think the only reason we didn't go up last season is because we didn't pass him the ball enough.

One of them even said he plays better with Carter in the team. I think we can all agree about nothing being further from the truth than that.
Completely agree Si.
Carter played well in a handful of games, however Pack bossed the midfield along with Penn after the Swindgate-saga.
First half of the season we all know he wasnt playing well, and I don't think we have an answer as to why.

Clearly the fans on Mals link are delusional;
  • Penn is a headless midfielder.
  • We didn't win the play-offs because we didn't pass the ball to Marlon enough.
  • Marlon only ever creates chances from his own play and now from anyone else
  • He's a set-piece taker (What ratio of freekicks has he scored, I think we can all only remember 1 in particular on a nervy night at Torquay)
Best of luck to Marlon wherever he goes, he will forever be remembered as one of the best players we have had, and I am certain he would be welcome back here in the future.

Would prefer to see him go somewhere like Posh, however now that Bournemouth have dropped out of the race to sign him, it seems he will be unveiled as a Crawley player soon :cry:
Hubert Parry
It does amuse me when fans of other clubs claim to have some sort of encyclopaedic knowledge of us when they have probably just seen the odd highlight on the FL show.
asl
Hubert Parry wrote:It does amuse me when fans of other clubs claim to have some sort of encyclopaedic knowledge of us when they have probably just seen the odd highlight on the FL show.
Like none of our fans claim the same about players (and finances!) of other clubs....
Circa 1887
It's quite an amusing thread to read.

Whilst I think Pack won't be going to Bristol City, their knowledge of him, his performances and overall ability are fairly misguided - to the point that I think they're basing it on media opinion and football manager games, largely!

Someone referred to him only playing well when Carter played!!!.....that says all you need to know about their knowledge; clearly never watched us play last season, as the pair of them were woeful together.
Shade
Circa 1887 wrote:
Someone referred to him only playing well when Carter played!!!.....that says all you need to know about their knowledge; clearly never watched us play last season, as the pair of them were woeful together.
I still have nightmares about some of their performances together. And now we'll have neither at the club next season. Exciting to see what happens, as I think our Pack influenced midfield was becoming stale. I'd take a midfielder who can defend, attack, pass a bit and run with the ball over one who can hit the occasional worldy free kick or 50 yard pass, but otherwise sits fairly deep.
Pie
Shade wrote:
Circa 1887 wrote:
I still have nightmares about some of their performances together. And now we'll have neither at the club next season. Exciting to see what happens, as I think our Pack influenced midfield was becoming stale. I'd take a midfielder who can defend, attack, pass a bit and run with the ball over one who can hit the occasional worldy free kick or 50 yard pass, but otherwise sits fairly deep.
I really think Deering and Penn would be a great combo. Both players aren't afraid to get in and do the nitty-gritty, nor get forward or have a shot from outside the area.

Will be interesting to see what midfielders MY brings in (excluding a left sided midfielder) because we have Penn, Taylor, Deering, Hanks and Williams who all prefer to play in the middle of the park.
Do we think Williams or Hanks will get much game time, or will they be another Kyle Haynes?
Circa 1887
I hope that Pack ends up at Bournemouth. If he is going to play at a higher level, he needs to be in a team that play possession football and shields him, due to the amount of time he takes to pick out passes. Bristol City just aren't strong enough at present, they were shambolic last season - i'd put Bournemouth, Sheff Wed and Peterborough ahead of them in the pecking order.
Si Robin
Circa 1887 wrote:I hope that Pack ends up at Bournemouth. If he is going to play at a higher level, he needs to be in a team that play possession football and shields him, due to the amount of time he takes to pick out passes. Bristol City just aren't strong enough at present, they were shambolic last season - i'd put Bournemouth, Sheff Wed and Peterborough ahead of them in the pecking order.
This, in my own opinion, is Marlon's biggest flaw. He needs far too much protection and is unable to grab a game by the scruff of the neck when it's getting bogged down.