2 important signings now needed

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

51/84
As well as all the other signings we need to secure extensions for McGlashan and Sido
If we dont do it now we will get to Christmas ( only 6 months away) and will have to cash them in or they will walk

Booky to resign
Goalkeeper - again we need scotty on an extension or someone will come in and he will be gone and we will struggle to get anyone of his quality
Fuller
Booky to resign or re-sign ?
Flux
Book to re-sign does that mean that Connor Roberts has/is going somewhere else?
Hubert Parry
Roberts is unhappy with contract offer but I would be surprised if he could do better elsewhere - especially at a league club.
Robin
I would like to see a new central midfielder to replace Marlon, another centre half, a left sided player to come in. In addition I though Brown and McGlashan had been offered new terms and I would hope that would extend also to Sido.
Shade
I've heard we've upped Sido from a panini to a full blown 9" meat feast pizza.
Oldun
Anyone know what's happening with Daryl Duffy?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Waiting to see who else we sign I guess. Duffy and Cureton would be useful up top.
Oldun
I hope he stays!
Pie
Duffy will be gone, i'll put money on it.
Connor will also leave.

Positions that need filling:

Reserve Goalkeeper
Young/reserve CB
Left sided midfielder
2 x Striker.
Admin
Site Administrator
Pie wrote:Duffy will be gone, i'll put money on it.
Connor will also leave.

Positions that need filling:

Reserve Goalkeeper
Young/reserve CB
Left sided midfielder
2 x Striker.
Centre midfield as well?
Pie
See I did think about that but with Penn, Taylor, Hanks, Williams, Deering and now Grimes, do we really NEED another centre midfielder?
Malabus
Admin wrote:Centre midfield as well?
Got a funny feeling that's why we signed Grimes to fill Marlon absence in the centre.
Admin
Site Administrator
Ah ok. The way I read it (quickly) was that grimes was up front or wide. Not a pack replacement.
Robin
Pie wrote:See I did think about that but with Penn, Taylor, Hanks, Williams, Deering and now Grimes, do we really NEED another centre midfielder?
We need two in my opinion. The biggest problem last season was a lack of creativity and we need to address that more than ever assuming Pack moves on.

Grimes is not a central midfielder more a striker who can also play on the wing.
Pie
Robin, Grimes is a central attacking midfeilder who can play as a striker. He isn't a left sided player, and if put out on the wing he will not be effective.

EDIT:

Said link Mal provided;

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/r ... t=82751#28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

9th post down;
Grimes needs to be kept involved when he was played wide he did not see enough of the ball but when played in the middle he is excellent .
I think hill could have made him even better.
Last edited by Pie on 26 Jun 2013, 11:56, edited 2 times in total.
NorthCotRobin
Would be nice to see some of the younger lads get a bit more playing time this season, perhaps we'll wait untill we've played a couple of friendlies and see how they get on before signing another midfielder?
MarkHalliwell
Pie wrote:Robin, Grimes is a central attacking midfeilder who can play as a striker. He isn't a left sided player, and if put out on the wing he will not be effective.
At Rochdale in the 4-1 thrashing they handed out to us, Grimes played on the left hand side with Bobby Grant on the right supporting Dele Adebola in the middle, and came off the flank to score two great goals.
I wonder if Yates has a view on playing him there as Mo's replacement with McGlashan on the right and Cureton down the middle, with a three man midfield, going back to the system we played two seasons ago...?
Hubert Parry
It certainly provides that option, Mark. In my view, Cureton needs a partner to be at his most effective, so I can see this system being utilised when we are 'looking after' Cureton, and go with Harrison as the lone striker. If the rumours of Williams and Rooney are true, we shall have one of the most exciting line ups.
Circa 1887
Is this Gavin Williams your referring to? Can't say I know a lot about him as a player, only the clubs he has played for. Any good?
Hubert Parry
I have no grounds to believe that he is a target, but he carries a wealth of experience at Championship/League One level. He is a creative player, who can play out wide or behind the striker - similar to Deering in that respect.

http://www.yeovilpress.co.uk/blog/2013/ ... -the-fans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
Williams used to play for H*r*ford, would be a quality player for us.

@ Pie - Grimes has never played central midfield that I am aware of, was always a striker or utilised on the wing.
Pie
Hubert Parry wrote:It certainly provides that option, Mark. In my view, Cureton needs a partner to be at his most effective, so I can see this system being utilised when we are 'looking after' Cureton, and go with Harrison as the lone striker. If the rumours of Williams and Rooney are true, we shall have one of the most exciting line ups.
Agree 100%.

Mark, didnt realise he was on the left against us.
A lot of people on that link are saying that he is better when in the middle, although that said MY may be able to convert him and as you say, see him as Mo's replacement.
Robin
I think by middle they mean central striker which is where he has spent most of his career.
hepple
Just made a delivery to Renishaw in Wotton and the chap who took the delivery knows I'm a Cheltenham fan said he has heard we might be signing a lad from the town called Jamie Stephens was with Liverpool Academy last few seasons.
eeneff
Has Grimes actually signed yet?

Just asking, seen nothing official.
Nesty
hepple wrote:Just made a delivery to Renishaw in Wotton and the chap who took the delivery knows I'm a Cheltenham fan said he has heard we might be signing a lad from the town called Jamie Stephens was with Liverpool Academy last few seasons.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqEUilGH7FM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

some save.
MarkHalliwell
hepple wrote:Just made a delivery to Renishaw in Wotton and the chap who took the delivery knows I'm a Cheltenham fan said he has heard we might be signing a lad from the town called Jamie Stephens was with Liverpool Academy last few seasons.
He is a goalkeeper, so might fit.
http://liverpoolfc.wikia.com/wiki/Jamie_Stephens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
eeneff wrote:Has Grimes actually signed yet?

Just asking, seen nothing official.
No, but the deal is done apparently, with him being announced when he turns up to training in the morning.

JP doesn't get these things wrong, especially with him announcing it.
Pie
Especially when JP is asking for questions to ask him tomorrow.
CTFC03
Luke Guttridge has left Northampton...
Powelly
Luke Guttride would be another great signing, always impressed me.

Got to wonder why we turned down Northampton's new contract, with them having one of L2's biggest budgets he must have been on a decent whack.
Shade
Powelly wrote:Luke Guttride would be another great signing, always impressed me.

Got to wonder why we turned down Northampton's new contract, with them having one of L2's biggest budgets he must have been on a decent whack.
Well...MY does like signing players who play well against us...
Robin
Powelly wrote:Luke Guttride would be another great signing, always impressed me.

Northampton are slashing their wage bill, having overspent big time last season.