Clubs chasing McGlashan

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Pie
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Pie wrote: I'm sure he would want to.
What are you implying?
If you were playing league 2 and a championship club made a bid I'm sure he would want to at least talk to the club to see what they would offer.
Pie
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:I'm virtually certain they have a sell on clause, it was announced there end when we signed him.
25%?
It's 10%
I-Love-CTFC
Horteng wrote:Cash in and get rid...... Championship??? Your having a laugh!

step over after step over....... No end product..... Cant cross and every shot is powder puff.

Cash in...... Try and make some money at the same time

You are always so quick to criticise McGlashan. I bet you weren't slagging him off after the Torquay play-off games or when he was our best player at the start of the season.
NorthCotRobin
Be careful what you wish for, a replacement for jermaine might not put half the work he does. He gets stuck in which is rare for a player of his kind...
C.V
NorthCotRobin wrote:Be careful what you wish for, a replacement for jermaine might not put half the work he does. He gets stuck in which is rare for a player of his kind...

Also chases back and helps out the defenders something Mo never did.We do have a lot of blinkered fans, they never see the other work Jermaine puts in.Still the closet managers on here know best :roll:
Robin
To be honest it seems to only be a tiny minority that dont rate him, far more appreciate him in myview.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
C.V wrote:
NorthCotRobin wrote:Be careful what you wish for, a replacement for jermaine might not put half the work he does. He gets stuck in which is rare for a player of his kind...

Also chases back and helps out the defenders something Mo never did.We do have a lot of blinkered fans, they never see the other work Jermaine puts in.Still the closet managers on here know best :roll:
Is your blinker on the left eye or the right?

I'd not like to lose McG but if a higher club comes in then as Pie points, fair play to him and good luck. But I'd only let him go if we have a replacement lined up - for the reasons given above he'd be hard to replace.
Robin
The fact clubs in the division above want him should automatically mean we sell, we want to be promoted don't we?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:The fact clubs in the division above want him should automatically mean we sell, we want to be promoted don't we?
I have said two or three times to only sell if we have just as good or better replacement lined up. So not automatically at all.
Horteng
Atleast if he goes then the sponsers will have to look for a proper MOM in the home games........ It was embarresing how many times he got it last season.

Yes people double up on him...... Thats my point....... He offers little in my opinion and like I have said id of taken Mo any day over McGlashan...... Mo was a far bigger threat and contributed to our goals with both assists and goals himself
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I hope to see McG being one of key players in our promotion in the forthcoming season.
THECHOIRBOY
Well, he is at least at training so that's a start!

Horteng wrote:Yes people double up on him...... Thats my point.......
I am not his biggest fan, but think it is good a club has a player that is exciting and and people want to watch. However, this comment is surely a managers dream though? If Yatesy knows people are going to double up on Jermaine then a) that is not JM's fault but b) we should be winning most games as it means somewhere we should be having overlaps and 2 on 1s to exploit!!
DingDing
I bang on about this argument all the time - it's Mark Yates' job this summer to find someone equally as threatening down the left so that teams can't double up on McGlashan and neutralise his game.

If they do double up on him, at least then we'll get chances down the other side.
baggy89
DingDing wrote:I bang on about this argument all the time - it's Mark Yates' job this summer to find someone equally as threatening down the left so that teams can't double up on McGlashan and neutralise his game.

If they do double up on him, at least then we'll get chances down the other side.

^^^THIS^^^THIS^^^THIS^^^THIS^^^
Horteng
Yes he tracks back but his job is to set up goals.... Something he rarely does
Horteng
baggy89 wrote:
DingDing wrote:I bang on about this argument all the time - it's Mark Yates' job this summer to find someone equally as threatening down the left so that teams can't double up on McGlashan and neutralise his game.

^^^THIS^^^THIS^^^THIS^^^THIS^^^
So why haven't we scored an abundance of goals from the opposite side then?

Utter nonsense.... When a team goes down to 10 men do you see the opposition 11 dominate the 10??? Not very often!
Robin
We haven't scored mostly due to the fact Mo was a very limited player in my view, a clone of Jermaine on the left and we would have been a lot better last season.
baggy89
Robin wrote:We haven't scored mostly due to the fact Mo was a very limited player in my view, a clone of Jermaine on the left and we would have been a lot better last season.
Exactly, otherwise why have McGlashan keep switching sides, and why try to bring in Rooney in January.
MarkHalliwell
Robin wrote:We haven't scored mostly due to the fact Mo was a very limited player in my view, a clone of Jermaine on the left and we would have been a lot better last season.
McGlashan 4 goals 4 assists
Mo 7 goals 11 assists.

The only thing wrong with McGlashan is his consistency in crossing the ball, and inability to avoid the first man on the majority of occasions.
Pie
Mo hit the perfect cross for Jermaine to score his "best ever goal" against Rotherham.
I have said it from when he said he was leaving, we WILL miss Mo.
Horteng
MarkHalliwell wrote:
McGlashan 4 goals 4 assists
Mo 7 goals 11 assists.

The only thing wrong with McGlashan is his consistency in crossing the ball, and inability to avoid the first man on the majority of occasions.
And his inability to beat his man (or men).........
51/84
we will miss mo like we missed damian

Mark when you are on the halfway line at attacking set pieces and corners how many will you score.
When you are in the box and are one of the targets you should score more than if you are on the half way line.

As to cannot beat a man was McGlashan not the most fouled player in league 2

Mo has gone support the players here or have you already made him the sacrificial lamb for the season
MarkHalliwell
Are we not allowed to point out some flaws our players have in their game or are we meant to believe they are all perfect?
Yes, Jermaine was the most fouled player in L2 - but he has a reputation for going down easily. I am told Aldershot fans started booing him when he started to do it too regularly for their liking.
He is a major threat and asset to our side, but would be even more so if his crossing was more consistent, and he could avoid hitting that first defender. That is a widely-held view.
Hubert Parry
Humanity, and football supporters especially, like things in binary form. In my view, if any of our players were perfect, they would be playing in a higher league, and if they were terrible, Yates would have got rid sooner. That applies to all players. The general rule for League Two is that the player has an element of their game which is not up to scratch - I could probably name such a quality for every single one of our players as I am sure everyone could. That is part of what makes this league more competitive than most, and in many ways, more exciting.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hubert Parry wrote:Humanity, and football supporters especially, like things in binary form. In my view, if any of our players were perfect, they would be playing in a higher league, and if they were terrible, Yates would have got rid sooner. That applies to all players. The general rule for League Two is that the player has an element of their game which is not up to scratch - I could probably name such a quality for every single one of our players as I am sure everyone could. That is part of what makes this league more competitive than most, and in many ways, more exciting.
The binary assessment of players is so annoying - and as you say, all players have strengths and weaknesses which is why it's so frustrating to see boo-boys and people picking scapegoats.

As CV correctly said before, that is blinkered.
C.V
MarkHalliwell wrote:Are we not allowed to point out some flaws our players have in their game or are we meant to believe they are all perfect?
Yes, Jermaine was the most fouled player in L2 - but he has a reputation for going down easily. I am told Aldershot fans started booing him when he started to do it too regularly for their liking.
He is a major threat and asset to our side, but would be even more so if his crossing was more consistent, and he could avoid hitting that first defender. That is a widely-held view.

But then he wouldnt be wasting his time at little old Cheltenham would he he would be playing for a good side
51/84
no mark what I am saying is using statistics to back your argument like 7 goals v 4 goals.
If you are on the halfway line you are unlikely to score compared with being in the box at corners and free kicks
Thats why steve Elliot goes up for corners to score or to assist he cannot do that in his own half

Just as scoring penalties dont count its statistics

If you dont like McGlashan then just say so and we will understand
Uppy
Agree with the fact that he struggles to cross, but he's a fantastic weapon for relieving pressure and gives his all. We paid decent money for him, he's improved and it's high time we started getting decent money for players. How many times have decent, but not great, youngish players left teams like us for big money.

We all wonder how it happened and they struggle to make the step up. Jermaine is somebody who has a couple of weaknesses but COULD make the step up, so it would be silly to consider selling him for less than £150k, in my opinion, and I'd probably start the bidding at £200k.
Robin
Having thought about it some more £150,000 seems very low given some league two teams can pay that. However to be fair to the lad a fee in the range of £200-£300k plus a sell on would suit all parties.

I could actually see Jermaine doing very well for a decent league one side and even a lower Championship team like Barnsley or Sheff Wed.
Uppy
I think I would probably rather get a bit more money from the transfer than push for a sell-on. I think his next move will be the big one.
Malabus
If more than one club are after him then the seller has more power over dealings.
Robin
True but the clubs being mentioned (Bradford, Notts & Crewe) don't have much money or at least don't often splash out on six figure fees.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:If more than one club are after him then the seller has more power over dealings.
He could line up a new signing Q&A at one club so as to get a better deal at another.
Circa 1887
Robin wrote:True but the clubs being mentioned (Bradford, Notts & Crewe) don't have much money or at least don't often splash out on six figure fees.
Crewe are about to sell their captain for £1M - might be some change floating around in petty cash after that deal.
Uppy
It's not their style, though.