What constitutes a good season

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

51/84
Is it automatic promotion regardless of where we are at Nov and March?
or is it being in the top 7 all season and missing out?
or is it getting to the 5th round of the cup and missing the top 7?
or is it something else?

While obviously automatic promotion is the aim and the target, I just cannot see us bouncing back from the playoffs with the midfield we have. I may upgarde this if we make some quality signings
The squad is too small to cope with injuries and there is no real competition with 19 or 20 players max
I think it will take 10 matches to establish a format that works by when we will be playing catch up
Robin
My target and expectation is automatic promotion this time around. I appreciate that signings need to be made and that may have to be lowered if we come up short but nevertheless that is how I feel. We have been very close two seasons running and looking at the division I believe it looks easier this year than the previous two.

That said, it won't be easy and I think there are five or six teams that will have similar aspirations to ourselves (Pompey, Chesterfield, Oxford, Bristol Rovers and maybe also Northampton).

An FA cup run is an added bonus to fund January signings, not much else.
everyman
Being realistic, given our financial resources,i think mid-table security and a lucrative cup run should be the hope.
Circa 1887
everyman wrote:Being realistic, given our financial resources,i think mid-table security and a lucrative cup run should be the hope.
Maybe as a minimum requirement....certainly not a good season though.
MarkHalliwell
Another play off push. Auto would be a bonus
Robin
everyman wrote:Being realistic, given our financial resources,i think mid-table security and a lucrative cup run should be the hope.
Hope or minimum? :shock:
Admin
Site Administrator
Personally, promotion - either through play offs or auto - auto would be really nice but if we are in the playoffs this time, I expect us to win. A tough ask I admit after two seasons of failing in the playoffs, it must take the wind out of some of the players.
Uppy
Promotion. I don't care how.
Horteng
Promotion this season given the last 2 seasons..... Anything less we wouldn't be going forward..... We'd be stationary/ going backwards
Horteng
And of course the sale of Jermaine McGlashan.......
Hubert Parry
Promotion would be a good season, and a playoff push is the minimum requirement.
Shade
Maximum 3 defeats at home is a good season. But with less draws and slightly better away record.
theidlerich
Automatic promotion would be good. However our finances are not commensurate with that dream, so a play-off pace [ again!!] would be a decent achievable target. Anything below that would be a poor season. As the squad has yet to be fully formed we'll have to wait and see. Lets repeat this thread after the second or third game. The friendlies are a poor pointer! Besides it's the Chelt Cricket festival soon :).
Hubert Parry
I would like to see us win more games this season, even if that means losing a couple more. We dropped out of the top three picture owing to the number of draws. This is why it is important that we remedy the lack of creativity from the middle third.
Robin
theidlerich wrote:Automatic promotion would be good. However our finances are not commensurate with that dream, so a play-off pace [ again!!] would be a decent achievable target. Anything below that would be a poor season. As the squad has yet to be fully formed we'll have to wait and see. Lets repeat this thread after the second or third game. The friendlies are a poor pointer! Besides it's the Chelt Cricket festival soon :).
Since when do finances dictate where you finish in this league? In my view the gap between the bottom and top of this league is the closest of all four professional divisions.
MarkHalliwell
Finances would dictate if you can strengthen your squad as and when you want to /need to during the season, ie whether you can still afford a loan signing here and there, or to bring in one or two in January, or before the deadline in March.
Pie
You could also say a good season is when players WANT to move to your club ahead of others?

Troy Brown was wanted by a few L1 clubs, the fact he said yes to us and no to then means last season was a good one?

Expectations, top 7 is a must, promotion is a bonus. Lets hope we don't suffer the heartache of missing out again.
Cheltenhamshire10
if someone offered me playoffs and a 50/50 chance of promotion I'd take it now and say it was a good season.
Bad season; 15th or below
Mediocre season; 8th-14th
Good season; Playoffs
Great season; Promotion (automatic or playoffs)
Fantastic season; Winners (or fighting until the end of the season for the title but tsill going up automatically)
Robin
MarkHalliwell wrote:Finances would dictate if you can strengthen your squad as and when you want to /need to during the season, ie whether you can still afford a loan signing here and there, or to bring in one or two in January, or before the deadline in March.
I think we have enough finance to do all those things though Mark. Sure we cannot have a huge squad or pay big six figure fees but we can pay fees and bring in loans on decent wages as we proved last season and unlike a lot of clubs in this league.
Cheltenhamshire10
And a cup run is merely a welcome bonus. Fifth round (or big club draw) should fund a promotion push (i.e bringing in your McGlashans' or Bensons' etc.)
Where we get in the cup shouldn't define if it has been a good season.

I would take 7th place and 2nd round of cup over 8th place and 5th round of the cup.
Uppy
Both of our promotion pushes have faltered around the time that we have had big cup ties, though, in the last two seasons.
Admin
Site Administrator
Robin wrote:
MarkHalliwell wrote:Finances would dictate if you can strengthen your squad as and when you want to /need to during the season, ie whether you can still afford a loan signing here and there, or to bring in one or two in January, or before the deadline in March.
I think we have enough finance to do all those things though Mark. Sure we cannot have a huge squad or pay big six figure fees but we can pay fees and bring in loans on decent wages as we proved last season and unlike a lot of clubs in this league.
But weren't we eating into this mystery 500k that was given to do it. How much of that, if any, is left to be able to push again like we tried this time.
Nesty
Until we have assembled the squad we can't really assess our chances. But to answer the question, I would say more of the same........
mattyboi
Good season = Finish above last seasons leaue position and equal or better FA cup, League up, league trophy results. Simple!
C.V
Play offs minimum otherwise we are not improving and may be changes at the top will be needed.Its a big season for our manager he needs to kick on getting to be like the Lindsey Parsons days cant quit get over the line.