Yates on official site

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

MarkHalliwell
http://www.ctfc.com/news/article/yates- ... 88712.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2-3 players short of where he wants to be
Missed out on 'a couple' of players
Two-three coming on loan, 'hungry' young under 21 players
Hopefully a couple in this week
Hubert Parry
Disappointing to read, but that's life. I would agree that if we are to challenge again, we are at least three quality players short.
Uppy
I'm not surprised that we missed out on players. Yatesy can obviously pick out talent and is ambitious in his signings. I'd rather that he went for great players and sometimes they came off, as opposed to going for decent players and getting them every time.
Chelt Luke in Glos
So we are only looking at 1 or 2 more permanent transfers yet a couple of loanees :?:

We could do with a lot more players than yates seems to be hinting.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chelt Luke in Glos wrote:So we are only looking at 1 or 2 more permanent transfers yet a couple of loanees :?:

We are not to panic as the season is ages away yet and we don't need 22 players.
MarkHalliwell
Chelt Luke in Glos wrote:So we are only looking at 1 or 2 more permanent transfers yet a couple of loanees :?:

"Hopefully we'll have couple more in this week and a few more over the coming weeks."
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
MarkHalliwell wrote:

"Hopefully we'll have couple more in this week and a few more over the coming weeks."
scrabbling around for next-best or sloppy seconds by the sounds.
MarkHalliwell
Bit of a silly comment Sam. Plenty of very good players still out there.
51/84
we missed grimes who else have we missed
theidlerich
Would be interesting to know who the "missed players" were and their reasons for turning down ' little 'ol Cheletenham'. Probably better wages which other clubs may offer, or nearer 'home'! Trust we will obtain quality though.
Malabus
Trust in Yates.
Robin
So we missed out on Ashley Grimes and apparently Marvin Morgan, we hoped to have 2-3 more players in by now.

I would expect the 2-3 loans and 2-3 permanent signings by August.
Benctfc
Bring in Rene Howe him + Cureton = GOALS
Robin
Unless something has changed I do not believe we are interested in Howe.
Cheltenhamshire10
There's countless examples of players biding their time and coming in late as they drop the league they want to play in or wage demands. Keep the faith.

I'm glad we waited for Naylor!
Nesty
It is a big year for MY (as CV said the other day) - he needs to get it right, and his record so far would indicate that he will do his utmost to bring the best players (our) money can buy.
MarkHalliwell
Agree Nesters
Peter Griffin
And of course a Marquee signing doesn't always guarantee a good one. When we signed Thomas most of us thought "Wes who?" and he pops in 19 goals. Everyone's excited about Harrad but he doesn't really deliver. I doubt many people expected Tom Pope to get 30+ goals last season.
Uppy
It's a good point. There's quite often a surprise goalscorer in the lower leagues.

Who knew Paddy Madden this time last year?
Hubert Parry
Gary Johnson did, which is what is crucial. Yates does appear to spot a good player, but the hope is that he can now spot a player AND know how to get a collection of them working together as a team.

Regarding targets for this season - I suspect Yates feels under pressure to deliver promotion, otherwise it is likely he will be given the 'nearly man' tag. Ultimately, whilst many believed that Ward's style was boring and we had to endure a couple of mediocre seasons, he did know how to take the opportunity of promotion when it was presented.