Would you settle for 100 years as a League Two club?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Steve Cotterill says he'd take that: http://bit.ly/CotterillCheltenham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
Honestly no I wouldn't but I can understand the reason SC says it.
Joey
Not really, no. What would be the point if the fans and the players knew they'd be stuck in L2 for the next century?
asl
It would certainly kill any excitement if we were to get to the play-offs, again...
Laurence
I think the point he was making is that it took over 100 years to get into the league and if Cheltenham were to drop-out then it could take another 100 to get back in.
asl
Yes, Laurence, I kinda realise that...

Like anything else in life, the moment you start accepting what you have and what you are as the best you can hope for, you'll never improve. If Cheltenham were to get promoted to League 1 again, we should be looking initially to become established at that level but, in the medium term, we should look to improve our standing still further and be aiming at the Championship. And so on, and so forth.

Otherwise, what would be the point of anything?
BURYFC
Ask a Rochdale fan :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Uppy
Nope. We can do better.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
sport only exists as the outcome is unknown. if i was told we couldn't go up or down for 100 years then i wouldn't buy a season ticket or come to games and find something with a modicum of interest to enjoy instead.
Jon Palmer
The point SC was trying to make was that yes, it would be great to be in League One, but the most important thing is that Cheltenham Town stay in the Football League long-term (ie don't chase the League One dream and end up getting into a mess again like 2009 and risk everything).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jon Palmer wrote:The point SC was trying to make was that yes, it would be great to be in League One, but the most important thing is that Cheltenham Town stay in the Football League long-term (ie don't chase the League One dream and end up getting into a mess again like 2009 and risk everything).
In 100 years would I say "I was glad we didn't go out the league in the last 100 years despite not getting promotion"? Yes.

Today, would I say I'd be glad to take an offer not going down for 100 years if it mean not going up? No chance.

Quite a difference.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Jon Palmer wrote:The point SC was trying to make was that yes, it would be great to be in League One, but the most important thing is that Cheltenham Town stay in the Football League long-term (ie don't chase the League One dream and end up getting into a mess again like 2009 and risk everything).
In 100 years would I say "I was glad we didn't go out the league in the last 100 years despite not getting promotion"? Yes.

Today, would I say I'd be glad to take an offer not going down for 100 years if it mean not going up? No chance.

Quite a difference.
You'd be quite old too. ;)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Quite a difference.
You'd be quite old too. ;)
Might freeze myself so can be defrosted just in case it happens.