Mark Yates after the 2-0 defeat by Coventry City

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Video interview here: http://bit.ly/CoventryFriendly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
51/84
Steve did well but there were 3 occasions he would have been carded perhaps even red
Shade
I thought Bowerman had gone off to find another club???
taxidave
Shade wrote:I thought Bowerman had gone off to find another club???
Yes an odd situation, if there is nothing here for him why is he hanging around or is MY hoping that the board will find a little more cash. :?
baggy89
I'd guess bit of brinkmanship from Bowerman and a bit of we're a friendly club from Yates and the board.

Perfectly acceptable on both counts. Good management AFAIAC.
taxidave
baggy89 wrote:I'd guess bit of brinkmanship from Bowerman and a bit of we're a friendly club from Yates and the board.

You may well be right but I do find it odd that he actually got some game time tonight rather than just being here to get fit. Why not let Cureton, Harrison, Gornell and Vincent have a little longer on the pitch rather than give him a chance to prove what we are missing.
baggy89
taxidave wrote:
baggy89 wrote:I'd guess bit of brinkmanship from Bowerman and a bit of we're a friendly club from Yates and the board.

You may well be right but I do find it odd that he actually got some game time tonight rather than just being here to get fit. Why not let Cureton, Harrison, Gornell and Vincent have a little longer on the pitch rather than give him a chance to prove what we are missing.
If he would like to sign (and that may be due to a number of reasons including liking the club, players, management, Board etc) or we're the only ones to offer half decent terms, wouldn't it make sense to play him in a meaningless friendly? The players you mention are already in pre-season training and as such aren't really missing out on much. If Bowerman is of any use better to establish that now and get him involved, NO...?
taxidave
Surely the point is that Yates said he could not afford to sign him and that he was off to find another club once he had got over the injury he sustained at Evesham.
baggy89
As opposed to please sign for us we'll do anything...

I think the Romans called it barter, as in "You Dave, are only worth one grain of salt per week for the little constructive comment you offer."

:lol:
Pie
Bowerman was injured at the Evesham game, as a result he missed the trip to Wales but was encouraged to train with the youth team and Yates said he would give him another chance to impress.
He was given that chance against Coventry.
Yates wanted to sign him however the board would not stretch the budget to sign him AND the loan CB, and as a result he was told he wouldn't be getting a deal with us.

I think this is a real shame as the kid clearly has talent, the Walsall fans were stunned when he was released.
Think we may have missed a gem here.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
taxidave wrote:

It depends on the physio/sports science programme.

If those four players have a set plan to reach goals such as a specific heart rate/fitness, having a specific power output/strength or to be a certain weight by the first game of the season, then pre-season is planned so they play neither a minute more nor less than what is required to get to those targets. It's why the scores in pre-season mean absolutely nothing as you never know what schedule the teams facing each other are on etc.

So if we needed a body to make up numbers if other players had done their stint, then Bowerman is an easy option.