loan CB

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

51/84
We assume that Yatesy is after a loan CB

Well I have been impressed with Troy Brown and while a loan will put pressure on him and Stevie I am not sure a really up and thrusting CB will get game time at WR unless there is an injury

We have no reserve team so if they have done preseason training with the own team then its going to be very much splinters in his arse
However if it was shall we say big Hec then it could put a lot of pressure on Steve as well as Troy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
This why I think having someone like Lowe as back-up, and one of our own youth players stepping up to sit on the bench is a better use of funds than paying a loan not to play.
Shade
I also assume it will be loan rather than permanant, given that MY said he's after another CB and isn't bringing anyone in permanent. Another reason to wonder why O'Donnell is still with us.
asl
Shade wrote:Another reason to wonder why O'Donnell is still with us.
Musical entertainment value? (My Irish in-laws would be well impressed...)
Pie
Shade wrote:Another reason to wonder why O'Donnell is still with us.
Yates has said in a previous interview "we're helping him out" he said that all trialist's were informed they would not be offered anything but were welcome to go to wales with the club.
Bowerman however has been given another chance, Yates clearly see's something in him.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Get a youth lad on the bench as 4th choice CB behind Lowe.

Cheaper, and gets experience. If we don't trust our own youngsters then why are they on the books?
Artemis
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Get a youth lad on the bench as 4th choice CB behind Lowe.

Cheaper, and gets experience. If we don't trust our own youngsters then why are they on the books?
Indeed, and if we need someone to actually play, get a loan CB in short-term. Keith is good enough cover IMO
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yup. If i was Paul Baker I'd not sanction funds for any loan player who was not guaranteed to start.
taxidave
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Yup. If i was Paul Baker I'd not sanction funds for any loan player who was not guaranteed to start.
I do not consider that CBB is guaranteed to start. :!:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
taxidave wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Yup. If i was Paul Baker I'd not sanction funds for any loan player who was not guaranteed to start.
I do not consider that CBB is guaranteed to start. :!:
Very true. It'll be interesting to see how much he features - especially after Yates has said the fans will be excited by him. The fact that he is 25, experienced and has come up from a non-league team suggests he is both very much part of the match-day set-up and being lined-up for a potential January signing.

The loans I am against are the ones where we take an 18 year old kid who has never played down from a higher league and pay him to sit in the stands just in case 2 or 3 others get injured and then go back having never played. I'd much rather see our own youth being used for that.

If CBB hardly features I'd deem that a waste too.
Hubert Parry
I would hope that the loanee will be someone to seriously challenge Elliott/Brown. I can't see Elliott playing 46 games and I don't regard Lowe and Brown as an automatic promotion pairing.
Cheltenhamshire10
I'm torn on a loan CB. Bit pointless to pay someone to sit in the stands in case someone gets injured, get the loan in when/if required instead.
However, if Yates thinks Elliott may need a breather every now and then it makes sense to have someone ready to step in (I would rather see Lowe at RB rather than CB).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
But would you be ok for Lowe to step in from time to time?
Cheltenhamshire10
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:But would you be ok for Lowe to step in from time to time?
That's why I'm torn! Sometimes I think it would be okay, other times I would rather see a new face there. If there's an injury definitely go for a loan CB as I'm not sure about Lowe at CB (like I said I see Lowe as good league 2 RB).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Cheltenhamshire10 wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:But would you be ok for Lowe to step in from time to time?
That's why I'm torn! Sometimes I think it would be okay, other times I would rather see a new face there. If there's an injury definitely go for a loan CB as I'm not sure about Lowe at CB (like I said I see Lowe as good league 2 RB).
Indeed, but if the odd half or game I think most would be happy to see Lowe slot in, with youth on the bench.

If it's a more long term injury then yes a loan can be got in at that point - but no need to get one in til required, unless as someone says Yates knows Elliot cannot play every week.
51/84
it depends on the deal
if its a youth unlikely to displace elliot and brown but if its someone we might sign in the New Year, it allows MY to see them it puts pressure on our regular CB
Say we sold Sido we would only have one RB
Lowe could not cover CB and RB and Taylor is not a CB
We also need to fast forward can we improve on Keith, will Steve keep going, I assume that MY is waiting for a Yates style signing at the start of the season
In Yates we trust
NormanP
I believe MY's reasoning on bringing in another Centre Back is that he wants competition in each position - I assume because he does not want anyone to be in a comfort zone and possibley not have to perform at their very best.

If this is correct it suggests that he does not see KL as a centre back who will put pressure on TB and SE.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
NormanP wrote:I believe MY's reasoning on bringing in another Centre Back is that he wants competition in each position - I assume because he does not want anyone to be in a comfort zone and possibley not have to perform at their very best.

If this is correct it suggests that he does not see KL as a centre back who will put pressure on TB and SE.
Then we need a loan which is genuine competition - not like the Man U lad last season.
51/84
RCS McCullogh was cover not competition
taxidave
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
NormanP wrote:I believe MY's reasoning on bringing in another Centre Back is that he wants competition in each position - I assume because he does not want anyone to be in a comfort zone and possibley not have to perform at their very best.

Then we need a loan which is genuine competition - not like the Man U lad last season.
And as I have posted elsewhere he has signed a 2 year contract with Doncaster.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
51/84 wrote:RCS McCullogh was cover not competition
That is exactly what I said in the thread above when I said he was not competition. That is why I considered him a waste of cash.

Dave - be interesting to see how he does at Donny.
51/84
when you have 2 centre backs on your books , and one is a loan then I would suggest it was not a waste of money but insurance
Shade
According to JP on twitter, Bowerman's trial is over (again) but O'Donnell is going to play in Tuesday's game against Kiddie.
51/84
odonnell would be a waste of a wage
perhaps kiddy want to see him in action
Pie
O'Donnell won't get a contract here. Yates was a bigger fan of Bowerman but funds will not allow him to sign the striker.
The loan CB will be the only signing, just hope it wasnt Hector!!