Midfield

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
One of the problems we had last season was that despite having, on paper, 4 of the best strikers around (Duffy, Harrad, Harrison and Benson) plus Goulding who can also score goals given the opportunity, we could not buy a goal at times. But when you looked at the midfield we had two or three relatively creative midfielders (granted Deering did not get a regular game, but you would have thought Pack and Carter would have been capable of creating enough chances to get the front men scoring.

With Pack and Carter gone, and with equally capable strikers (Bowerman would be icing on t'cake), am I worrying to much that we do not seem to have an out and out playmaker in midfield?
Robin
Matt Richards fits very nicely into this role in my view, great at picking passes based on what I saw of him at Shrewsbury.
Seefacts
I don't see it as black-and-white as one man creates / one scores.

3 of the 4 in midfield should be racking up assists. Add someone like Harrison who should be linking up with Cureton to supply him. Sido and Jones both like to get crosses in.

I don't see it as individual failings, I see it as a unit problem. We're so strong at the back, that we don't offer enough as a team. I have a feeling we will see that change.

Unless MY wants us to be a 1-0 winners, 80s Arsenal type set up, with Cureton putting that one chance away.
Shade
I just have a feeling that Deering & Richards will create more in CM than Pack & Carter. Pack never really seemed to be looking to play balls through for strikers to run on to and Carter only really seemed to want to either shoot or play one-twos when he was in and around the box.
Pie
I think the main question is which midfielders do we play, and in which formation?

Deering and Richards would link up nicely with Cureton, so do you play them with Penn in a 4-5-1 with McGlashan and Vincent on the flanks?

I think Diamond is the wrong formation to go, Penn plays best in the middle and using McGlashan and Vincent/Richards on the flanks means Deering up top and either Richards/Taylor in the CDM role, of which I do not believe suits Richards.

If we are to go up this season, it will be a mix of 4-4-2 and the 4-5-1 we played when we had Pack, Penn and Summers, only this time it will be Deering, Penn and Richards.
Powelly
A 4-5-1 with the 2 wingers getting up in support of Cureton. The wingers are quick enough to do that. With 4-5-1 we're hard to break down and with Curetons movement i always fancy us to create things.

Brown

Sido
Brown
Elliott
Jones

Mcglashan
Deering
Penn
Richards
Vincent

Cureton
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
4-5-1 (shudder...); I hope Cureton does not read this. Or, if he does, I hope he doesn't call Duffy, Harrad or Benson to ask what they thought of the 1-up tactic last season.
Powelly
Its not as rigid as that regency, we have different players this season so it doesn't matter what happened last time. We play ed 4-5-1 for the majority of the season when we had Pack, Summerfield and Penn and that season saw the best football i've ever seen us play.

Players make systems.
Shade
I wouldn't be surprised, if he hasn't done anything after a few games, if McG gets dropped and we try out the 4-3-3/4-5-1 with Deering, Cureton and Vincent out wide/up front, and Taylor, Penn and Richards in midfield. Of course we may try the same thing with McG but I don't see him coming in off the wing and joining in in the middle as much as Deering.
El Capitano
Powelly wrote:Its not as rigid as that regency, we have different players this season so it doesn't matter what happened last time. We play ed 4-5-1 for the majority of the season when we had Pack, Summerfield and Penn and that season saw the best football i've ever seen us play.

Players make systems.
Summerfield was a big part of that, he was really willing to get forward and would receive the ball on the edge of the opposition area. It was quite high intensity though between those three & perhaps that was one reason why that football dried up towards the end of the season (along with Penn presumably not being fully fit) and why Yates sought out a plan B in Burgess.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
With Duffy or Spencer on the right wing it was more of a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-3 as well. When we reverted to a flat five as the season went on and for most of last season with a winger out wide and the two skin-heads in th middle it was much less rampant and led directly to our hoof syle. It might work with vincent and harrison as the wide men.
trickster
I still think goals could be a problem, Cureton looks stitched on to get us goals as long as he’s fit all season, but like you say we had a hat full of strikers last season but at times goals were at a premium, Cureton has got a proven track record but we seem to be taking it for granted that he will score a hat full of goals, but in reality life’s not always like that you don’t always get what you pay for and it might not be anyone’s fault just the way the cookie crumbles, and if he’s out for whatever reason then I don’t see too many goals.
taxidave
Well we certainly didn't look like scoring many last night against Coventry even with Cureton there for an hour. There were at least 3 decent crosses that should have been converted, one by McGlashan after about 25 minutes and 2 others late in the second half. If we don't score from those sort of crosses then we will be in trouble this season, no matter who is up front they should be getting on the end of them.
Pie
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:With Duffy or Spencer on the right wing it was more of a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-3 as well.
You nt playing a keeper?? :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Pie wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:With Duffy or Spencer on the right wing it was more of a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-3 as well.
Rush keeper - Brown in goal and centre back.
Seefacts
3 crosses isn't enough.

A top 3 team, at home, we need to be getting 7,8,9 decent crosses in. Last season we struggled to get 3 or 4.
Pie
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Pie wrote:
Troy or Scott??
Nesty
I just hope MY has more idea of what formation / players he will use than us, and certainly a better idea than he had last season.
Powelly
The biggest problem for me last season was that we didn't know what our best side or formation was, there was far too much chopping and changing to get into any rythem. We set out to make things difficult for our opponents, opposed to saying here is our best team we're coming to beat you and if you beat us you'll have deserved it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Pie wrote:
Pie wrote:
Troy or Scott??
That was the joke.
Pie
Pie wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: Rush keeper - Brown in goal and centre back.
Troy or Scott??
That was the joke.
Think if we get one of Akinfenwa's shirts we could fit them both in it?? ;)