2013/14 league two preview

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Serious Contenders
Cheltenham Town - Two successive near misses, good financial backing and stability and established team with few key departures. Everything is in place for a top three finish, anything below top seven would be a major failure.
ChesterfieldBeing heavily backed to do well. Showed glimpses last season that they have a very good team. Like Cheltenham it is a small squad but everything seems steady behind the seasons and they have a good budget too.
FleetwoodThe big spenders of the division with tiny crowds it clearly has a limited life span however they really should be challenging for top three this time around. My concerns are poor form last year, inexperienced manager, egos in the dressing room which could see them either win the league or languish in the bottom half until a managerial change again.

Play-Off Hopefuls
Bristol RoversWard is reliable, he will put in place an effective, if unattractive unit of players who will do well. I expect them to be in or around the play-offs all season.
Burton AlbionI thought they look relegation fodder last season so Rowett rightly received manager of the year award. Have lost a few key players but added some too, don’t rule out another surprise play off place.
Oxford UnitedSlowly improving under Wilder and made some impressive signings, is this finally the year they take it to the next level. I fear so.
PortsmouthNew squad, upper mid-table wage budget, lots of positivity. It’s hard to see them not having a decent season and Fratton Park being a fortress however don’t have the quality or consistency for a top three place. Will be in the play offs in my view with the Bookies odds reflecting their stature rather than ability.
RochdaleA club on the up, Hill worked wonders at the Dale before and will expect to do so again, they will challenge for the play-offs but probably fall short.
ScunthorpeTwo relegations in recent years will take time to recover from, have made some reasonable signings but I just cannot see them being serious contenders. May sneak lower play off place or just miss out.

Happy to be mid-table
AFC Wimbledon Underachieved last season in my view, despite having one of the smallest budgets they have some decent players and looked a unit against us. I expect an improvement but only to the extent they have a stress free campaign.
BuryOne of the hardest teams to predict. Were a train wreck last season and that requires time to recover from. They have new investment and seem to have signed as many players as they could some look decent (Soares, Grimes, Cameron) while for each of those there are 2-3 poor signings. They could easily find themselves in the relegation battle again or even sniff around the play-offs if the new faces gel well.
Exeter CityThe Grecians could easily find themselves in the relegation battle particularly if they lose Tisdale. No money, better players departed, no new signings, poor second half of last season, lower mid-table at best I am afraid.
Hartlepool UnitedThe Monkey hangers have seen these least player movement in the league which does tend to be a good thing however it’s hard to see them challenging with what they have. I expect them to be inconsistent a bit like Chesterfield last year ultimately finish in the top half but not in contention for the play offs.
Mansfield TownThey have a very inexperienced squad and no notable signings, if they won the conference they can’t be bad but top half finish is probably the best they can expect.
Newport CountyPromoted sides tend to do well in their first season and I expect the same here, lower mid-table, good at home, occasional hammering away.
Northampton TownFinancial cuts have hit them hard, most of their best players have departed and what has come in looks very uninspiring including CTFC outcast Darren Carter. Boothroyd is smart but promotion looks a long shot this time.

Plymouth ArgyleFor me Argyle are potential dark horses for the play offs. Sheridan made them solid last season and now they have added including CTFC target Marvin Morgan. Don’t be surprised to see them sniffing around the play offs but promotion may need to wait another year.
York CityI expect a solid season for York, despite their awful run they didn’t look a particularly bad side against us, certainly one capable of holding their own. I expect a notable improvement under Wirthington this time around.

Relegation Fodder
Accrington StanleyNo manager, no fans, only just escaped last season you can see why Accy are everyone’s favourites for the drop this time out. It would be a major shock if they are not bottom four but this constantly beats the odds.
Dagenham and RedbridgeI fear for the Daggers, a nice little club with friendly fans but John Still moving on was a huge loss and they only just survived last season. It’s hard to see them not struggling but the money from Dwight Gayle’s move may delay the seemingly inevitable relegation for a couple more seasons yet.
MorecambeAnother of the divisions minnows who until last season have performed well in this division. Now that budget cuts are kicking in and a heavy reliance upon youth a few bad results could really see them struggle.
Southend UnitedOne of the larger clubs in this league but appear to be in turmoil, almost all their better players have gone, financial problems have arisen again and now they have Phil Brown in charge. A real sense the Shrimpers could go down this season.
Torquay UnitedThe Gulls are hard to predict but from the outside most of their better players have left again and with little money available to bring in new ones another season of struggle appears likely.
Wycombe WanderersAinsworth worked wonders to keep Wycombe up last season, they were simply awful against us. Financial constraints means there is no money for experienced players but I think they will survive again.

Table
1. Chesterfield
2. Cheltenham
3. Oxford
4. Bristol Rovers
5. Portsmouth
6. Burton
7. Scunthorpe
8. Plymouth
9. Rochdale
10. Northampton
11. Mansfield
12. Fleetwood
13. Hartlepool
14. Bury
15. Newport
16. Wimbledon
17. York
18. Torquay
19. Wycombe
20. Exeter
21. Dagenham
22. Southend
==============================
23. Accrington
24. Morecambe
Shade
All fair enough, but I'm wondering why you put Fleetwood in your "serious contenders" section, and then put them 12th in the table?
Robin
Because I think they should be serious contenders reflected in odds and many predictions but with the overhaul they have performed and inexperienced manager I have a feeling they will fail miserably.
asl
My Sarfend mate doesn't think his lot will be as bad as third-bottom, but are aiming just for mid-table mediocrity, this season. A few youth players have been given pro-contracts and a lot relies on them being as good as he thinks they are. He reckons that, if they get off to a good start, they'll be okay - but if they continue the form and results they had during the second half of last season, he agrees that they could be in serious trouble come May.
bigdavejambo
Accrington have a manager - James Beattie
little mo
I think York City just might surprise a few people this time.
leohoenig
The Guardian's take on it all
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... iew-season" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For a liberal newspaper, their conclusions are very conservative

Meanwhile, the Telegraph lists the ins and outs, with Guardian type errors, Brian Saah has signed for both ourselves and Dagenham!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... -2013.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hubert Parry
The Daily Mail's attempt is the worst (quelle surprise) - even saying that Exeter have 'recruited well' when they have only signed one over-the-hill-less-than-prolific striker.
Joey
To think people got paid to write those articles........

Link to the DM article - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -back.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Fairly pathetic. As Hubert said, if losing 7 players, bringing only 2 mediocre signings in is "recruiting well" and they expect a top 7 finish, then God help everyone else in the division.
Robin
That Mail preview is shockingly poor.
leohoenig
I did appreciate this comment added afterwards by a "Dave Stockport" of Stockport
I take it Mr Ridge and all the other ''experts'' at the DM will be giving us decent weekly reports on all the teams in Division 2.The lack of interest and knowledge from this newspaper towards anything non -Premier has been frankly mindboggling. Prove me wrong -I bet you won't.
Hubert Parry
Chesterfield claim they are £130k over budget. http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11750/8849252/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
But it's nothing to worry about...wish I could be £130k over budget and forget about it.

On the flip side, Exeter chief exec reckons they could be the richest club in the country.................................
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23507974" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hubert Parry
Julian Tagg is a bit of a joke though.
Laurence
League 2 preview from one of the better football blogs out there: http://thetwounfortunates.com/ttu-go-pr ... 2-preview/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Warning: does use the word "elán".
Robin
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/ne ... ue-2-guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Above is the guide from Sky, it seems we are widely expected to go up this year, more so than any other since we've been in the league?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Fairly pathetic. As Hubert said, if losing 7 players, bringing only 2 mediocre signings in is "recruiting well" and they expect a top 7 finish, then God help everyone else in the division.
Maybe the Mail don't recognise any non-white or any foreign players, thus making Exeter's squad look better compared to some?
Shade
Laurence wrote:League 2 preview from one of the better football blogs out there: http://thetwounfortunates.com/ttu-go-pr ... 2-preview/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Warning: does use the word "elán".
Don't think I've ever seen a picture of Whaddon Road from that angle before. Nice.
Anyone would think that Pack and Mohamed were the only reason we've been top 7 the last 2 seasons...
Laurence
The wisdom of crowds anyone? Guardian's who will win L2 poll currently being lead by...York City. Vote early, vote often.
http://gu.com/p/3hy6v/tw
Laurence
Shade wrote:Anyone would think that Pack and Mohamed were the only reason we've been top 7 the last 2 seasons...
Indeed. I never hold much store in these previews unless they're data based or written by people that know the club. I think we all know Penn and Elliott staying are much more significant factors than Pack and Mo leaving.
Shade
Laurence wrote:The wisdom of crowds anyone? Guardian's who will win L2 poll currently being lead by...York City. Vote early, vote often.
http://gu.com/p/3hy6v/tw
At this moment in time Dagenham are the only club that nobody has voted for. Someone has even gone for Accrington :P
leohoenig
The Sky Guide ,mentioned by Robin allowed the representative from each team, (hopefully genuine supporters as claimed - I would not like to think they use journalists from the local paper under a false name). The man from Exeter managed to fudge the issue and not name names for promotion, two did not name the relegation candidates, with our man from exeter making the best comment "The prospect is so horrible that it seems mean to even speculate. It's a bit like asking which veteran actor will be next to die". I think six out of 24 predicted their own club for promotion, including the Cheltenham man, and Accrington! Accrington did not decide between Mansfield and Newport for the second relegation spot, so I have given them .5 each below.

For promotion (max 23)
Accrington 1, Bristol Rovers 5, Burton 2, Bury 4, Cheltenham 12, Chesterfield 12, Exeter 1, Fleetwood 14, Newport County 1, Northampton 3, Oxford 5, Portsmouth 19, Plymouth 2, Rochdale 3, Scunthorpe 5, Southend 1, Torquay 1, Wycombe 1. AFC Wimbledon, Dagenham, Hartlepool, Mansfield, Morecambe and York did not bother the scorers.

For relegation (max 22)
Accrington 10, AFC Wimbledon 7, Burton 1, Bury 2, Dagenham 6, Exeter City 1, Mansfield 2.5, Morecambe 8, Newport County 2.5, York City 4

I notice that Hartlepool are therefore the only side that no one thinks will go either up or down, while Accrington, Burton, Bury, Exeter and Newport get votes in both categories
Last edited by leohoenig on 01 Aug 2013, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
Thanks Leo I also enjoyed the fact that Sky themselves tipped us for runners up, I would be happy with that.
shevates
Overall Robin a decent prediction of what may happen this coming season. Just a few differences but not a lot. I backed Bristol Rovers to win the league last season after ward had been in charge for 7 Games, and I will stick to that, York will have a decent season, Northampton will finish higher than you said, and I cant see Sarfend being relegation fodder, hope youre right though. Overall a decent prediction. But one side will surprize us all, at either end of the table
Joey
The thought of Bristol Rovers beating us in the play-off final makes me feel quite ill.
Shade
Joey wrote:The thought of Bristol Rovers beating us in the play-off final makes me feel quite ill.
I wouldn't go and would try to avoid the result until the start of the next season. Losing to them in a final would outweigh beating them in a final.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I'd love to beat Rovers in the semis and Oxford at Wembley, and have the fans coaches and cars all stopping at Oxford on the way back down the A40 for refreshment!
Hubert Parry
Lee Mansell tweeted me this evening: 'I fancy the robins as much as it pains me to say in top 3 this year'
Shade
Gloucester tw@. I wonder if Neil likes him for that or still thinks he's a traitor or not playing for the tiggers.