Not a bad opening

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

mcannsleftfoot
Just got back from the game so thought I'd post a few thoughts.

I thought it was a decent start to the season, there's obviously room for improvement but there's going to be with the number of debutants playing, and we played some good football at times-especially in the first half. People will overreact because we let a two goal lead go, but Burton are a good team who are well fancied to be up near the top of the table at the end of the season.

Gornell and Cureton looked a decent partnership in the twenty minutes they got together with some decent touches between them- I have a lot of respect for Cureton putting his body on the line to score the first and hopefully the injury isn't as serious as it looked. Gornell held the ball up and linked with the midfield well and Harrison took his goal nicely although him and Gornell seemed quite similar in the way they played.

In the midfield, I was impressed with Richards and Penn in the centre. Richards looked class, both technically and physically, knocking the ball around and also making some good challenges. Penn played like he always does-I still think his two year deal is one of the most important done this summer. I haven't been convinced by Deering (mainly due to his size), but thought he played well today-he always wanted the ball and tried to make things happen. McGlashan's confidence seems a bit lacking (header in the first half and why didn't he shoot after that run in the second?) and didn't take on the full back as much as he could've, but hopefully that will come with games and he still won a few freekicks.

At the back, Stevie and Troy Brown looked solid, Braham Barrett was alright defensively and attacked/supported the wingers well. Sido is another whose confidence seems low-a few passes went astray and didn't take on his man as often as he sometimes does. However the goals we conceded were both from set plays and one was a penalty so defensively it was a good performance.

Scotty didnt have too much to do and couldn't do too much about both goals despite getting close.

As for Burton, thought Billy Kee was their best player-had some nice touches, held the ball up well, and scored the penalty.

A point is a point, and the performance has given us something to build from for the next league game against Chesterfield, which will be a tough one.
mcannsleftfoot
Just seen that Cureton's injury looks like a dislocated shoulder, meaning he could be out for a while, so a more negative start to the season than I initially thought!!
Shade
Agree with all of that
Hubert Parry
There are much worse results in the world than a draw against Burton. Let's hope we learn the lessons and move on. Not optimistic about adding to our points tally next week though...
Peter Griffin
Burton should be up and about at the end of the season so a draw isn't bad at all. Letting a 2 goal lead slip is shoddy but whether we let a 2 goal lead slip like ourselves or came back from 2 down like Burton, both sides amassed one solitary point.

Was at the other end of the ground to the Burton penalty incident so didn't get a good enough look-as for Gornell I thought it probably wasn't a penalty but wasn't a dive either.