Drawing winnable games at home

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jebolani
Happened last season loads, Aldershot 1-1, York 1-1, Port Vale 1-1, Bristol Rovers 1-1, Fleetwood 2-2 off the top of my head. Most of those were goals conceded towards the end. We can't let this happen again this season. There's 10 dropped points there which easily could have seen us promoted last season...
Joey
It was something like 23 points we dropped from winnable positions last season.
Jebolani
Granted, the Rovers game was a bit of a freak result but still, the evidence is there. We only drew about 7 at home and 5 of those we should have won.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Need to take more risks, stop hoofing and go for goals. Even if we'd won three of those five and lost the other two, we'd have got more points.
Jebolani
Agree, RCS, CBB is the main contributor to hoofing as is Sido. If they just played a simple pass to Richards to get to the ball to McG, Vincent whoever, then we stand a much better chance of killing a game off.
Peter Griffin
I think at the end of the season this will be seen as a good result. Burton will be up there.
Jebolani
You reckon? I think they looked poor, but then again they had 3 key players out.
Hubert Parry
Burton will be up there, but teams who make the top three don't tend to rest on their laurels at 2-0 up. They are clinical and keep their style.
Peter Griffin
Best to have a "silly" result at the start of the season than at the crunch point though eh? Think the goal was conceded at a really bad time psychologically, and had it not happened, we could well have gone on to win by a handsome margin. I thought we still played reasonably well after it went 2-2 and looked the more likely to get the winner.
bigdavejambo
Jebolani wrote:Granted, the Rovers game was a bit of a freak result but still, the evidence is there. We only drew about 7 at home and 5 of those we should have won.
but on the other side of it who expected 4 points from Gills, 3 v Rotherham, 6 v Northampton last season. Its all swings and roundabouts.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
bigdavejambo wrote:
Jebolani wrote:Granted, the Rovers game was a bit of a freak result but still, the evidence is there. We only drew about 7 at home and 5 of those we should have won.
but on the other side of it who expected 4 points from Gills, 3 v Rotherham, 6 v Northampton last season. Its all swings and roundabouts.
A team who finishes top three should expect that.
Powelly
We did draw a few too many home games last season. Trying to hold onto winning leads cost us. But it was our away form which was the real problem. We got spanked on many occasion and that has to change. I wonder whether Mcglashan will be dropped at the likes of Chesterfield with Taylor sitting in front of the back 4 in a diamond set up. We'd be difficult to break down, hopefully.
Hubert Parry
Next week will tell us a lot about our team and squad.
Robin
Peter Griffin wrote:I think at the end of the season this will be seen as a good result. Burton will be up there.
On yesterdays evidence they won't we looked several league placings better than them.
RED ROB
Agree with you Robin, big and strong with a bit of beef. Nothing special.
I was more disappointed with our performance, new players yet still defensive frailties and the same Plan B, hoof it when we come under a bit of pressure.
The first 45 mins I felt we were getting somewhere.
The second 45 mins I'd seen it all before.
taxidave
RED ROB wrote:The first 45 mins I felt we were getting somewhere.
Yes I agree i thought we played quite well first half but second half was all hoofball with the 2 full backs being the worst culprits.
I would like to see Jones back in at LB, at least he can defend and distributes the ball sensibly and, while I know this will upset a few on this forum, Lowe at RB because Sido is definitely not the player he was previously
paperboy
Agree that we were forced to hoof it at times.
In fairness they forced our defenders into it to a degree by closing them down.
Also they had the wind and the slope behind them in the second half.

On the bright side both of their goals came from dead ball situations rather than our defence being carved apart.
They still count though of course.

Wish we had had Billy Kee to take our penalty in the play-offs last season!
taxidave
paperboy wrote:On the bright side both of their goals came from dead ball situations rather than our defence being carved apart.
Were you late arriving for the game because we were definitely carved open in the very first minute and they should really have scored from that move.
Powelly
taxidave wrote:
RED ROB wrote:The first 45 mins I felt we were getting somewhere.
Yes I agree i thought we played quite well first half but second half was all hoofball with the 2 full backs being the worst culprits.
I would like to see Jones back in at LB, at least he can defend and distributes the ball sensibly and, while I know this will upset a few on this forum, Lowe at RB because Sido is definitely not the player he was previously
You don't want to see us hoof it so much. But you want Lowe to play? He is the biggest culprit in our whole squad for this. Sido at least tries to get forward and exchange passes with the midfield.
RED ROB
Yes, had Kee been in on that we would have conceded the quickest goal of the opening day of the season.
Sido has not been up to his level two seasons ago and with the two young full backs they did panic a bit.
I know Billy Jones is not the quickest but his delivery and experience warrants a place at the moment, CBB got roasted.
hEaLeR
RED ROB wrote:Yes, had Kee been in on that we would have conceded the quickest goal of the opening day of the season.
Sido has not been up to his level two seasons ago and with the two young full backs they did panic a bit.
I know Billy Jones is not the quickest but his delivery and experience warrants a place at the moment, CBB got roasted.
Disagree, I thought CBB had a good game yesterday and could have easily got MoM. Don't get me wrong he's still very raw but he's improving each game.

Jones set peice delivery last season was first class but to be fair that's all he was in the side for at times. He was static in a lot of games and he was targeted by other teams. Sido didn't play well and if you watch the 2nd Burton goal it was he who was marking Delap.
Jebolani
CBB got megged once by their winger, otherwise sound. Plus, Richards' delivery could rival Jones'...
Rick
Robin wrote:
Peter Griffin wrote:I think at the end of the season this will be seen as a good result. Burton will be up there.
On yesterdays evidence they won't we looked several league placings better than them.
Robin, you wait till they get there star striker and Centre Back back from injury. They will do well.
Robin
I think they will sniff around the play offs however we are well fancied to win the league so a draw at home to a side which will almost certainly finish below us is not great; especially when we were 2-0 up and looked like scoring four or five!
taxidave
Powelly wrote:You don't want to see us hoof it so much. But you want Lowe to play? He is the biggest culprit in our whole squad for this. Sido at least tries to get forward and exchange passes with the midfield.
Every time Sido got the ball in the second half it was one big boot, I do not know if he was under instructions to do that but it was very painful to watch.
Have a look at him on Tuesday, if he is selected !, and you will see what I mean.
paperboy
taxidave wrote:
paperboy wrote:On the bright side both of their goals came from dead ball situations rather than our defence being carved apart.
Were you late arriving for the game because we were definitely carved open in the very first minute and they should really have scored from that move.
Did see it Dave,but tried to forget as it was like the Red sea parting. :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
Unfortunately it's the points column that determines league placings, not anything else.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jebolani wrote:CBB got megged once by their winger, otherwise sound. Plus, Richards' delivery could rival Jones'...
Why not have two good deliverers of the ball - keeps the opposition on their toes and stops them marking the solitary assister out of the game...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I think they will sniff around the play offs however we are well fancied to win the league so a draw at home to a side which will almost certainly finish below us is not great; especially when we were 2-0 up and looked like scoring four or five!
Weren't we 20/1 and about seventh favourite to win the league?
Benctfc
CBB was one of our best players yesterday and looked solid defensively and got forward well his end product will improve in time Jones is a weak point when he plays teams know he lacks pace and expose him something Yates identified.
Alf
taxidave wrote:
Powelly wrote:You don't want to see us hoof it so much. But you want Lowe to play? He is the biggest culprit in our whole squad for this. Sido at least tries to get forward and exchange passes with the midfield.
Every time Sido got the ball in the second half it was one big boot, I do not know if he was under instructions to do that but it was very painful to watch.
Have a look at him on Tuesday, if he is selected !, and you will see what I mean.
IMO big boot has never been part of Sido's game. He is a footballer and likes to run the ball and play it in the deck. I would say he is playing to instructions when hoofing.
I would be interested to know how much influence NH has over our tactics, especially at half time?
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:I think they will sniff around the play offs however we are well fancied to win the league so a draw at home to a side which will almost certainly finish below us is not great; especially when we were 2-0 up and looked like scoring four or five!
Weren't we 20/1 and about seventh favourite to win the league?
No we were joint fourth favourites along with Bristol Rovers last time the odds were posted.
Si Robin
According to the FLS on Saturday night, we weren't in the top 7 favourites.
Daveangel
This has you as ninth favourites. Pretty tempting odds for you lot I'd have thought (especially if you get Cureton fit and firing)

http://www.betting-directory.com/footba ... etting.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
Si Robin wrote:According to the FLS on Saturday night, we weren't in the top 7 favourites.

Yes I saw that Si obviously dropped after the result on Saturday but we were joint fourth favourites on odds checker a week or two ago.