After 90 minutes tomorrow

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

51/84
Do we go to extra time then penalties or straight to penalties if its all even after 90
R_Payney
Extra time then pens, like MK Dons last season
51/84
i was there but have no recollection of extra time
we need to do it in the 90
Hubert Parry
Despite what PB says, I personally couldn't give much of a toss about the outcome of tomorrow. I really want us to nail the league this season.
for those that i spoke to after the Cardiff game i took advantage of the cap one offer and although I won't be changing allegiances i've convinced 4 people from Cheltenham to come along and watch. Hopefully they see some decent footie and want to go again
taxidave
Hubert Parry wrote:Despite what PB says, I personally couldn't give much of a toss about the outcome of tomorrow. I really want us to nail the league this season.
That is a typically selfish point of view by you. I assume you are not bothering to turn up for the match, unlike myself and many others who will have paid good money to hopefully see us win.
Hubert Parry
That is your choice, and I am entitled to my view. We have a small squad which is already being dented by injuries. I am keen to ensure that we maximise our potential for the league - not a particularly selfish view, as like you say, we want to do well.
51/84
hp surely there are a number of positives
a win is a win and a good habit
as suggested by PB drawing a prem side helps financially
fringe players can be used to help keep match fitness
ctfc.tom
Hubert Parry wrote:Despite what PB says, I personally couldn't give much of a toss about the outcome of tomorrow. I really want us to nail the league this season.
On the flip side to that, as mentioned by the commentary team in the Preston vs Blackpool game. Think of the momentum a win can generate, just look at Bradford last year, although they went via the play-offs and had a dip in form, still shown that is possible to be successful in the cup whilst also making a good impression in the league.
taxidave
Hubert Parry wrote:That is your choice, and I am entitled to my view. We have a small squad which is already being dented by injuries. I am keen to ensure that we maximise our potential for the league - not a particularly selfish view, as like you say, we want to do well.
And it is unlikely to get any bigger if everybody is like you and stays away, PB is already moaning about the low gates and if we do not get more fans through the turnstiles we will have no chance of improving our squad either in size or quality.
And if we win and draw a big club in the next round there is a chance of tv money and almost certainly your presence at Whaddon Road. :roll:
51/84
Did they ( Bradford) have a dip or just fell behind on league games played

Dave there is always the chance to sell a player have new sponsors , or win cup matches and have games on TV all of which could bring in money
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Lets hope whoever plays tomorrow does so with panache for those watching, and let a win be a pleasant surprise to those who deem the result insignificant - then there is no need for the usual argument.
Shade
51/84 wrote:Did they ( Bradford) have a dip or just fell behind on league games played

Dave there is always the chance to sell a player have new sponsors , or win cup matches and have games on TV all of which could bring in money
They did have a mini-dip after their big games. I think once or twice they got hammered straight after.
Hubert Parry
taxidave wrote:
Hubert Parry wrote:That is your choice, and I am entitled to my view. We have a small squad which is already being dented by injuries. I am keen to ensure that we maximise our potential for the league - not a particularly selfish view, as like you say, we want to do well.
And it is unlikely to get any bigger if everybody is like you and stays away, PB is already moaning about the low gates and if we do not get more fans through the turnstiles we will have no chance of improving our squad either in size or quality.
And if we win and draw a big club in the next round there is a chance of tv money and almost certainly your presence at Whaddon Road. :roll:
I did not go to the Everton game last season. In fact, it was a choice between Everton or Torquay and I chose the latter. Just shows what little you know about me, but you seem to love making presumptions.

Of course I can see some of the benefits of tomorrow's game - but if it was a choice between winning tomorrow or on Saturday, there would be no contest.
taxidave
Hubert Parry wrote: Of course I can see some of the benefits of tomorrow's game - but if it was a choice between winning tomorrow or on Saturday, there would be no contest.
I would take a win tomorrow and Liverpool at Anfield in the next round over a win on Saturday at Chesterfield but then I would go to Anfield whereas you probably wouldn't.
I went to Sunderland, did you?
Hubert Parry
I wouldn't personally. No, I didn't go to Sunderland, and so what if I didn't?
51/84
more importantly did you go to bashley
taxidave
Actually HP you are not much of a fan at all really are you, a bit like those so called Man U supporters who walk around town with a shirt on but never go to Old Trafford.
If the club had to rely on fans like you we would be broke in a few seasons.
Ralph
taxidave wrote:
Hubert Parry wrote: Of course I can see some of the benefits of tomorrow's game - but if it was a choice between winning tomorrow or on Saturday, there would be no contest.
I would take a win tomorrow and Liverpool at Anfield in the next round over a win on Saturday at Chesterfield but then I would go to Anfield whereas you probably wouldn't.
I went to Sunderland, did you?
I did.. I did!! :)
Hubert Parry
taxidave wrote:Actually HP you are not much of a fan at all really are you, a bit like those so called Man U supporters who walk around town with a shirt on but never go to Old Trafford.
How much of a 'fan' I am is really none of your business. But since you asked so nicely - I go to as many games as I can afford to go to, which is pretty much all that anyone should do. You are correct though, the club shouldn't rely on a young, poor graduate living in Exeter to sustain themselves. :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
taxidave wrote:Actually HP you are not much of a fan at all really are you, a bit like those so called Man U supporters who walk around town with a shirt on but never go to Old Trafford.
What on earth.
51/84
TD I do find your attack on HP as a bit thoughtless

Perhaps during your working career and 70 years following CTFC you have never missed a match, but now since Mr Tebbit and others have said get on your bike, people have to move around and jobs are at a premium and do not last for life but if you are lucky 3 or 5 years or perhaps they have a )hours contract

As HP said if you attend as many matches as you can afford and that is time as well as money then well done
A man of your leisure and wealth should be attending all home and away as well as volunteering which I know you do - so again well done

However my son who grew up watching every home and lots of away games lives in London , he comes back for most home matches including some mid week. He attends as many away matches as he can but does not have a car in London.
As you will appreciate using public transport is expensive and often inconvenient. However as Del boys says this time next year we will be millionaires. So perhaps when he is he will join the board or invest some of his money in the club ( after making sure I get my holidays in the Caribbean etc)

So please dont have ago at those he at least try to attend and support the club
Sure if they start commenting on matches they didnt attend it may be a reason too have a pop
I hope I have not upset you with comment but would just like to point out that not everyone is at the same point in their life and have not been as lucky as you

Meanwhile back at WR a win will do nicely tonight
Who are our penalty takers now MP and Carter and Duff and Benson have gone
Robin
I am in full agreement Hubert, even if we get through there are few glamour ties and even the big boys will attract small crowds (see Sunderland and Stoke fixtures). FOr me automatic promotion is the overwhelming priority with the FA Cup worth pursuing for financial reasons.
Shade
How about we just go out to try and win both games and don't suffer a blip as a consequence? Then everyone can stop bickering like little children and play happily in the playground, instead.
Chelt Luke in Glos
Agreed. Its not like we are going to win it! I would like to see a good FA cup run again tho
Chelt Luke in Glos
I would imagine our penalty takkers would be Richards, Jones and Cureton
taxidave
Chelt Luke in Glos wrote:
Agreed. Its not like we are going to win it! I would like to see a good FA cup run again tho
Why not, Bradford got to the final last season, why shouldn't we go one step further.
Alf
I agree with Dave. The fans, like the club, should want to win every game. Picking games you would rather win is a nonsense.
C.V

You wont be coming to our second round match then :roll:
Hubert Parry
We have been over this - no I won't. I have to pick games carefully, and league fixtures carry far more appeal.
C.V
What you cant grasp is this win enhances Mark Yates chances of getting in a loan striker to help our promotion push.Dont turn down the chance to make some much needed money.
Hubert Parry
No, I grasp that argument, I just don't think it is a strong one. Whilst some success in this competition might provide some revenue, I think it is overstated (look at the attendance today, for example) and the risks of injuries and fatigue to players when we have such a small squad is a concern.

Apart from the need for extra time, and the poor attendance, tonight was an excellent night - but it could have gone the other way, and I stand by my initial position of placing focus on the league.
taxidave
Hubert Parry wrote:No, I grasp that argument, I just don't think it is a strong one. Whilst some success in this competition might provide some revenue, I think it is overstated (look at the attendance today, for example) and the risks of injuries and fatigue to players when we have such a small squad is a concern.

Apart from the need for extra time, and the poor attendance, tonight was an excellent night - but it could have gone the other way, and I stand by my initial position of placing focus on the league.
I would imagine that we can look forward to a crowd approaching 20,000 at West Ham and at an average of about £15 that should bring in about £300k which, after expenses and vat, should net us about £100k, not bad for an evenings work and an amount that should enable Yates to bring in another loan if he considers it necessary.
Yes we had one injury but hopefully Elliott should not be out for too long and hopefully our loanee or Lowe will slot in for the fixture on Saturday.
As for fatigue I find it laughable that you should even think that young lads would be tired after 120 minutes football at this stage of the season and even if they were then the backroom staff will access them and possibly ease up on training for a day or so.
Anyway unlike you I will be at Upton Park to cheer on the lads, as indeed I will be at Chesterfield on Saturday. :lol:
Ralph
lets hope Robins Player is working so Hubert can listen in :)
Shade
Plus we played 120 but have had a day longer to recover than Chesterfield.