Best performance for ages

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

vickeryc
What a great all-round team performance last night against a very good Crawley side who were no pushovers. We played with style, determination and resilience. After going down 1-3 (harshly) there was a feeling of déjà vu and another early cup exit, but the team deserve enormous credit for the way they fought back.

Everyone contributed, but no one more than Sam Deering, who bossed the midfield. He tackled well; rarely gave the ball away; and played one slide rule pass after another. Although last night wasn't, by any means, Sam's first good performance, I felt it was the first time everything clicked and he showed everyone what a classy player he is. Other stand-outs for me included Terry Gornell (what a great signing), Byron (who never gave up and is starting to play with real confidence), and CBB (plays with imagination and keeps running). But, it's almost unfair singling anyone out because they were all heros last night. Encouragingly, all of the new signings are making a positive impact. It'll be an interesting conundrum for MY when Jamie Cureton recovers because he surely can't leave out a proven goal scorer like him if he's fully fit.

Credit must also go to Crawley, who played good attractive, football and were a real handful. Their fans must have gone away disappointed to have not got something out of the game.

What a shame the crowd was so poor - the absentees missed a real treat!
51/84
for me the real telling factor was the lack of hoof ball, which meant we played a game that suited our players
robinsrule
Great stuff! I am feeling very optimistic about this season....
Shade
Agree Deering was very good last night, except for the last 15 minutes when he looked mentally knackered and started switching off, losing their number 3 and giving the ball away a lot. MY was about to bring Vincent on, I assume for Deering, just before we scored the equaliser, but then told Vincent to sit down again as he didn't want to break the momentum we had going. I was surprised he then stayed on until the one-hundred-and-somethingth minute.

I would say I thought Richards was outstanding again though.
theidlerich
My first sight of CTFC this season; if they play like that for the rest of the season we will go up! Said earlier all the team played well and it would be churlish to pick out any one - but I did think Harrison had his best game to date. Impressive CTFC - well done indeed. Crawley were good; quick, excellent passing and they , like us, should have scored more. Excellent value; the absent crowds missed a treat!
Sprout Picker
Can only agree with other posters, brilliant game to watch, ref let it flow and had an easy night with both teams playing good attacking football. I too, enjoyed the football Crawley played, credit to them for that - they played their part in a very pleasant evening's entertainment.