Some things...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
...I noticed last night and watching the highlights:

- We improved after McGlashan switched to the left with Deering on the right. I believe this was because Deering passes the ball inside more to Penn and Richards rather than just trying to get down the wing everytime. McGlashan had more space on the left and also dealt with the attacking threat of their RB and RM better, cutting out their option to use all the space on that wing every time they got forward. He works very well with CBB, but Richards or Penn need ot be close-by for when the wide man inevitably cuts inside too easily.

- Deering's passes, chips and lay-offs to the front men were exactly what we were missing time and again last season. His first touch is also supreme.

- Richards takes a good penalty! He's not bad at all the other stuff, either.

- Gornell is Connor and Guinan combined, but +100 on ability.

- Billy Jones is going to struggle getting back into the team as the only thing I can see that he does better than CBB at the moment is crossing/free kicks/corners - but we've got Richards, Deering et al taking them, scoring once from corners and looking dangerous at most of them. Also, you'd think CBB will only improve with experience, whereas Jones probably isn't going to improve defensively. Hate to say it as I really like Jones.

- Our winner came courtesy of another massive Scott Brown goal kick - this one flicked on by Gornell before Harrison worked his magic. All these years we've moaned about SB kicking the ball too far and it going straight through to the opposition keeper...maybe it was the strikers fault for not making the most of that?!

- How did Crawley's number 3 (Hurst?) not get booked, let alone sent off, for giving away the penalty? He was nowhere near the ball, tackled from behind and, although technically he wasn't the last man, Harrison was about to shoot - it was a professional foul. 3 yellows, possibly 2 straight reds right there.

- We're not going to be anywhere near as tight at the back this season if we're playing 4-4-2. I know we were playing a good attacking League 1 team last night, but both they and Burton had PLENTY of decent opportunities. The good news is - so did we!

- Scott Brown's form hasn't dropped off from last season :)

- Some fans will always slag MY and some of the players off, even if we're unlucky to be losing to a team that will likely finish in the top 10 of the league above us. They will probably die young(ish) of anger management and stress related issues.
taxidave
A good post, have to say I agree with most of what you have written.
vickeryc
Same.
Chelt Luke in Glos
Worth a mention, even with a low attendance the fans were great! Need to be like that more often, so loud :D
R_Payney
Shade wrote:We're not going to be anywhere near as tight at the back this season if we're playing 4-4-2. I know we were playing a good attacking League 1 team last night, but both they and Burton had PLENTY of decent opportunities. The good news is - so did we!
Just gone through our results as I couldn't even remember the last time we conceded more than one goal at home before Burton. Turns out the last time was against Everton, before that against Oxford in the JPT, and the last home League game we conceded 2 goals in was Fleetwood on 6th October last year. Pretty good record, hopefully we'll see more of the same this year.
Jebolani
Agree with all of this, except some of Deering's attempted flicks were often intercepted and put us in dangerous positions.
Shade
R_Payney wrote:
Shade wrote:We're not going to be anywhere near as tight at the back this season if we're playing 4-4-2. I know we were playing a good attacking League 1 team last night, but both they and Burton had PLENTY of decent opportunities. The good news is - so did we!
Just gone through our results as I couldn't even remember the last time we conceded more than one goal at home before Burton. Turns out the last time was against Everton, before that against Oxford in the JPT, and the last home League game we conceded 2 goals in was Fleetwood on 6th October last year. Pretty good record, hopefully we'll see more of the same this year.
That's even better than I thought. But then we concede 5 in two home games... Still room for improvement in every area though which is encouraging.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chelt Luke in Glos wrote:Worth a mention, even with a low attendance the fans were great! Need to be like that more often, so loud :D
Shows how excited and vociferous the crowd can get when football, rather than hoofball, is played. Let that be a lesson to our team and management!

If we played proper football when 3,000 were in imagine the noise!