Chesterfield Vs Cheltenham

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Strange no comments from those at the game today, been back an hour so would have thought more comments.

Anyway, my thoughts. First half Chesterfield look extremely good on the ball a bit like us versus Burton and we are chasing shadows although probably not helping ourselves. All the Chesterfield attacks are coming down the right hand side with Sido often against two men because Deering had disappeared inside. That all said Chesterfield rarely created any chances and Scotty didn't have a save to make despite some threatening build up. Then we grow in confidence and are putting them under a little pressure when they break from our corner, a lucky ricochet puts Roberts in two on one and his deflected shot beats Scotty. After that our heads drop and they dominate only for a defensive howler to see Byron in one-on-one he rounds the keeper slots home but a defender gets back to claw it off the line. Second half it's like a different game, now we are pressing and are probably the better team. We are putting them under pressure and CBB is causing them problems along with Jermaine. Byron weaves his way past two or three defenders beats the keeper only to see another goal line clearence although this one less dramatic. At the other end Sido and CBB are solid but Spireites get behind the centre halfs on a couple of occasions for Scotty to be quick off his line and block the shots. At this stage we look the most likely to score and a draw would have been just about a fair result then right at the death they nick another with yet another deflected shot.

Overall first half poor, second half we just about edged it, on that evidence both teams very strong candidates for top three but we have a little more work to do than them with Roberts the difference between the two sides.

Brown - not a great deal to do but a couple of well made saves where he was quick off his line, both goals deflections (7)
Sido - Solid defensively but often exposed by Deering, got forward well in the second half without hitting top form (7)
Brown - had a goal disallowed, strong at the back but some wayword headers (6)
Elliott - the better of the centre halves, won most headers and made a few strong tackles (7)
CBB - really impressed me, defended well and bombed forward second half, I hope the fee with Macc is agreed already because on this evidence we will be signing him (7.5)
Jermaine - caused them problems and worked tirelessly to support CBB and Sido, but end product needs to improve (6.5)
Penn - great drive in the 2nd half but chased shadows in the first half (6.5)
Richards - See Penn (6.5)
Deering - I like Sammy but he was the odd man out today, couldn't hold his position and gave the ball away too much (5)
Harrison - some poor play but also some very good play, unlucky not to have scored (6)
Gornell - hope the injury is not too serious, holds the ball very well (6)

Subs:
Vincent - I'm sorry but he is not a striker, poor movement and awareness (5)
Kotwica - Some great runs when he came on (7)
51/84
was there too much respect again as Yates admits the match plan was to stop them in the 1st half
If that was the plan I am surprised we didnt go 4-5-1 and change it with 30 to go
AV has yet to show any sort of form
paperboy
Robin sums things up pretty accurately.
I travelled back not too despondent, but three points next week would be nice.
IYWT
Robin wrote:
Brown - not a great deal to do but a couple of well made saves where he was quick off his line, both goals deflections (7)
Can't agree with 'not a great deal to do'. Lost count of his saves in second half to keep us in the game.
Robin
There were two testing saves where he was quick off his line as I mentioned, first half they didn't have a shot on target apart from the goal.
CTFC03
I'm not sure why Chesterfield took their foot off the gas 2nd half, they needed that second goal albeit we didn't look that threatening in the 2nd half apart from Harrison's burst into the box that drew a smart save from their keeper.
Shade
Given our record there and their big title favourites tag I thought we'd lose and my hope was that we weren't totally outclassed. Possibly the toughest league game that we'll have all season and we came away with a not too terrible result and an ok performance on the whole, especially given our lack of numbers up front.

One to just mark down and move on to next week.
51/84
not having a pop at you shade
Do we go into these games expecting to get beat
I am not really having a go at MY but he said afterwards the plan was to hold them in the first half
I suspect the plan was to hold them in the second as well
Too often last season we seemed to have one good half and one bad half
At WR we have been well on top in the first and then struggled in the second
If we have any fit strikers perhaps we will be 2 or even 3 goals up before the other side responds, perhaps that is league 2 football where the top teams cannot dominate for 90 minutes
My point is that if the plan was to hold them and we played 4-4-2 we do not have the midfielders to do it.
the 4 yesterday would have been in my view an attacking midfield and with our strikers we needed to take the game to them. If you add Taylor then McGlashan or deering are drooped or you go 1 up front
We dont really have very many options. MY knows who his best 11 are but not his best team and formation although there is not much he can alter. Unfortunately 2 of the 11/12 are not now available
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Look at the following dates on here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80 ... League_Two" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

11th October 2011

14th October 2011

26th November 2011

2nd January 2012

Great wins. We didn't go to show respect or stop teams playing, we went there knowing that if they attacked, we'd win the ball and score goals on the counter attack at pace. We'd actually turn up knowing we'd score and at times with some of our attacking play took the mickey out of teams.

Then the run ended at Crawley, and OK we battered a dire Dagenham side, but our away form seemed to change and we were less devastating - wasn't until Torquay second leg when we outclassed a home side again.

Last season it didn't happen at all - something definitely changed in our mindset. If you go to teams like Chesterfield looking to stop them and making it tight in midfield then you get what you deserve - beaten.

We need the confidence, arrogance and swagger back - jog about letting them do the work, before releasing McG, Vincent and Harrison to bag a couple.

If we go away from home looking to score four or five then we might get one or two, which is better than most away games these days.
Joey
I never expected us to win, a draw would have been nice considering the result last week. I'd be more worried if we had lost and drawn to Exeter and Scunthorpe like Bristol Rovers have done.

It'd be nice if MY wasn't so grumpy in every post-match interview for the last couple of games, cheer up, it's Christmas in 4 months.
Shade
I'm sure MY will be jolly when we win, as he was on Tuesday night (for MY :D)