Deering

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

trickster
This is merely an observation of Sam Deering so don’t go overboard about slagging someone off etc we are all entitled to our opinion whether it’s positive or slightly negative, I think the team is starting to shape up quite well and the new players are looking quite promising despite losing on Saturday, the only slight concern I have is contrary to what some have said is the performance of Sam Deering, we didn’t see very much of him last season so it may take him time to regain his form, but so far I’ve been a little disappointed with him, his work rate is terrific and can’t be faulted but sometimes I wonder what he actually achieves, he runs down a lot of blind alleys and loses the ball a little too often, he tends to knock the ball into no man’s land for someone to run on to but it ends up being a fifty fifty ball on who gets there first, almost an hospital ball, on the other hand he’s a pain in the backside for the opposition, so I’m not saying kick him out of the team or he’s rubbish because I think he could be a good player for us, just one or two things to look out for to see if you agree or disagree.
wyman17
What else do we have though? This is the problem. Vincent will benefit from the friendly if he can get 70 or 80 minutes under his belt then we will probably see more of him. Kotwica I'm sure will be pushing for a start before long but of course Is only young.
My worry is with the injuries we have picked up and will no doubt continue to pick up through the season we don't seem to have the squad to deal with it. Our first 11 is stronger than last year, but looking at our bench its a lot weaker than last year. Last season you could look at the bench and think we are chasing a game who can I bring on harrad, duffy, goulding, occasionally mo, carter. This year you look and you basically have Vincent or kotwica to choose from.
51/84
I like the energy he give the team, he needs a goal to get going but I dont believe he is suited in the wide left or right role
He needs to play in the hole, but if we play McGlashan or AV then it is a 4 when it needs to be a 3 with one advanced.
The diamond would suit but I dont really see us with the players for a diamond unless its Taylor with Penn and Richards with Deering at the top.
We seem to be one player light but I also believe that MY tries to play his best 11 players and sometimes they are not the best team.
If we play one up then perhaps he fits in better
Shade
wyman17 wrote:What else do we have though? This is the problem. Vincent will benefit from the friendly if he can get 70 or 80 minutes under his belt then we will probably see more of him. Kotwica I'm sure will be pushing for a start before long but of course Is only young.
My worry is with the injuries we have picked up and will no doubt continue to pick up through the season we don't seem to have the squad to deal with it. Our first 11 is stronger than last year, but looking at our bench its a lot weaker than last year. Last season you could look at the bench and think we are chasing a game who can I bring on harrad, duffy, goulding, occasionally mo, carter. This year you look and you basically have Vincent or kotwica to choose from.
The bench is looking weak because of Cureton's injury..which you'd expect. Most teams when they get an injury will suddenly look a bit weaker.
Obviously a bench with a fully fit Vincent, the young exciting Kotwica, Lowe, Taylor, Roberts, Harrison & Innis doesn't look very weak to me.
Robin
Anyone who went on Saturday would have seen clearly that Sammy was the weak link of the team. That isn't a slur as the lad can play football, puts in fantastic work rate but he just isn't a winger and defensively he is caught out with the Spireites targetting him all game.

To me he needs to play in a midfield three or on the bench, we can't carry him on the wing.
Robin
Regarding the bench the quality if there but it's weighted quite defensively I feel that is the problem others are highlighting.
trickster
wyman17 wrote:What else do we have though? This is the problem. Vincent will benefit from the friendly if he can get 70 or 80 minutes under his belt then we will probably see more of him. Kotwica I'm sure will be pushing for a start before long but of course Is only young.
You make a very good point about injuries, without wishing it upon us I’ve pointed out before we have been extremely lucky the last couple of seasons with injuries, I feel to the point where we are now getting almost complacent, Cureton is a good example it was a foregone conclusion he would score 20 plus goals, he well might but it’s dangerous to think it’s a mere formality.
Uppy
The problem with having somebody in the hole is that they need to be able to flick headers on, too. You're not going to get the ball to feet in space at this level and Sam isn't physical enough.
Educated Bertie
Prithee, as a footie fan of mature years, where is this "hole" situated? The only holes One has known at/near HQ were the Cat, The Greyhound & The Fox of now distant memory.
Uppy
You've got to adapt with the game, Bertie. Attacking midfield!
Benctfc
I also thought he was poor on Saturday. Wasn't retaining possession well enough and kept giving it away stopping us from being able to get in the game. I personally think Deering is a better option at home on a more narrow pitch and teams sit back against us. Away from home I feel we need more pace (Vincent) so we can counter attack more effectively.
Alf
It is unfair to judge a player who is playing out of position.
51/84
so why was he playing out of position
Shade
It's also a bit short sighted, isn't it? A lot of people were saying he was fantastic last Tuesday night, and now after one bad game it's "he's only playing because we haven't got anyone to replace him".

Personally, I think he only shows for 60-70mins before fading out of a game, and I think he's much more effective at home than away.
thetonga
51/84 a diamond with Taylor, Penn, Richards and Deering at the top would be far too narrow and would leave the fullbacks very exposed. If you wanted to get the best out of Deering I would say in the hole is his best position but with our squad the only way to achieve it would be to play a 4-4-1-1 with Deering in behind the striker. He isn't a winger and the formation becomes lopsided as he comes inside, looking to play his natural role.

Then it's a question of whether we have a striker who would be suited to the lone striker role and personally I would rather having Cureton and Gornell when both fit and a 4 man midfield.

I do like Deering and think he is creative when played in the right position but I feel that he is either too advanced for League Two in that players in the hole don't suit the dynamics of the league and are more likely to be better utilised in higher leagues with greater amounts of time and space. Or that he doesn't have the team around him to let him float around, in which I mean that the other 10 players can contain the opposition 11 without relying on that player to be in a set position.
Lord Elpuz
Educated Bertie wrote:Prithee, as a footie fan of mature years, where is this "hole" situated? The only holes One has known at/near HQ were the Cat, The Greyhound & The Fox of now distant memory.
Gadzooks my fine fellow, you have surely not deliberately omitted Wookey and the indomitable Toad of A.A. Milne's fine literary piece? Where would that leave a footballer, devoid of his sausage and Yorkshire pudding?

Lord Elpuz
ctfcshire
Robin wrote:Anyone who went on Saturday would have seen clearly that Sammy was the weak link of the team. That isn't a slur as the lad can play football, puts in fantastic work rate but he just isn't a winger and defensively he is caught out with the Spireites targetting him all game.

To me he needs to play in a midfield three or on the bench, we can't carry him on the wing.
Hit the nail on the head
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Technically good player, and definitely good to have in the squad. I won't criticise his ability has he is a decent player. However he wouldn't be in my first choice eleven given the squad we have.

The only place I can see him being effective is just behind Harrison, with Penn and Richards in the middle behind him - but Cureton and Gornell would be my preferred partners for Byron so it has to be impact-sub/rotation for Sammy I'm afraid.

More than capable of playing the killer ball to unlock a team we've been struggling to break down all match, so still good to have around.