Will this be the high of the season

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

51/84
Will a match against Sams reserves be our seasons high
Having seen the first 2 home matches we have a 1st team that can compete
However with 2 injured we are now down to the bare minimum
We are also being told that taylor wants away ( just on loan)
I am surprised he didnt feature on saturday at Chesterfield

We have 2 fullbacks on the bench who are adequate, an untried CB a 17yr old and AV who has yet to do anything, and a defensive midfielder who wants away
What happened to the competition in every position bit
Eggs in one basket me thinks
I think Yates sees this as his last roll of the dice season

I will revise me seasons prediction to midtable and hope I am proved wrong
Shade
After TWO games and with the window not even shut yet...that's optimism for ya.
Ralph
some people just want MY to fail......
Robin
I'm still confident of a top three finish but even with a small squad a bit worried MY appears unable to operate with a balanced team.
Benctfc
I think to write a team off after 2 very tough games is stupid. At least give it 10 games before judging! MY knows what he's doing. People moaning about the squad with a poor budget what else can MY do? I would rather have a strong 11 and weaker bench than an average 11 with a decent bench be realistic.
Robin
Benctfc wrote:I think to write a team off after 2 very tough games is stupid. At least give it 10 games before judging! MY knows what he's doing. People moaning about the squad with a poor budget what else can MY do? I would rather have a strong 11 and weaker bench than an average 11 with a decent bench be realistic.
We do not have a poor budget :!: :!:
I-Love-CTFC
Yates can have no excuses, he's been given a good budget. There is no need to panic, we are only 2 games into the season and we couldn't ask for much tougher fixtures to start off with.
Robin
Yes we have made a poor start points wise but we are three games in, we would have expected to beat Burton and probably should have, it's debateable whether the Crawley win was an upset and very few expected anything at Chesterfield. Surely we need to give it a few more games before suggesting we won't be promoted.
Shade
We SHOULD have beaten Burton, we had no right to expect to beat them - maybe it's that attitude that only saw us draw. And of course the Crawley win was an upset. They're from a higher league, no matter how long they've been there, and aren't struggling at the bottom.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I said all summer I would not judge the team's promotion chances til our squad of 22 players with adequate cover in every position is complete. That remains the case.
51/84
you are going to have a long wait RCS
how many players do you see yates bringing in then
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
51/84 wrote:you are going to have a long wait RCS
how many players do you see yates bringing in then
No idea - probably not enough. Which is why I was not convinced by assertions by some that we had a guaranteed top three squad, when we don't yet have a complete squad.
Robin
We have 21 players RCS, are you saying because we are missing one body it means we will fail to be promoted?
taxidave
Robin wrote:We have 21 players RCS, are you saying because we are missing one body it means we will fail to be promoted?
But of those, 2 are untried ex academy players, 1 is a 17 year old with about 30 minutes first team experience and another is a mid fielder who wants out. :!:
Hubert Parry
It seems to me that MY has put a lot of eggs in one basket. I am not convinced we are as strong as last year, but time will tell.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
taxidave wrote:
Robin wrote:We have 21 players RCS, are you saying because we are missing one body it means we will fail to be promoted?
But of those, 2 are untried ex academy players, 1 is a 17 year old with about 30 minutes first team experience and another is a mid fielder who wants out. :!:
Indeed Dave - as I said: "22 players with adequate cover in every position". Who knows if the lads you mention above are adequate.

We could have 35 players but if 20 of them are unknown and inexperienced then there are only 15 of which we can have confidence in.

After all, as soon as Cureton got injured everyone was clamouring for a loan - that itself suggests fans did not believe we had adequate cover in the squad to fill in til he returned!
leohoenig
Everyone of our players was an untried youngster at some point of their career.
Robin
I have said from the start we need four strikers yet we only have three, we have cover and comp in every other position.
CS85
Can we expect a yates out post if we fail against muff and accy.
cheltsaxon
I have high hopes for this team from what I've already seen so far, would like to see another striker in on loan but thats going to happen so not worried too much. If you thin this forum is negative pop over to Plymouths! They are mainly predicting a 3-0 loss on Saturday and writing their team off.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
leohoenig wrote:Everyone of our players was an untried youngster at some point of their career.
Indeed Leo and as I've said before I like having youngsters in the squad and would much rather have them than a loan when numbers are low, but I would not necessarily rely on them from the start of the season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I have said from the start we need four strikers yet we only have three, we have cover and comp in every other position.
Do you believe failure to get another striker could cost us promotion?