Well that was shite

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

TheRaven
Admin wrote:
...and completely mis-timed about 95% of them so only got about 1 or 2 the entire afternoon.
Yes this is true, but the vast majority (somewhere around 95%) weren't actually particularly near him, and picked up blue defenders instead, making his job of trying to win them relatively futile. I can see both sides, but for me the blame doesn't lie anywhere near as much with Byron as it does with the defenders.
C.V
Cant blame the players they do the work through the week in training its soley down to the manager he picks the team and dictates the tactics.He needs to man up and take the flack the pressure is on him he cant keep hiding behind the same lame excuses of we will bounce back.The jury is out theres not much room left for his poor decisions the clock is ticking.
taxidave
Admin wrote:Im getting confused here, I dont think I was at the same game as some of you. I mean you are mentioning players names that I cant remember seeing today - Sido, Penn, Harrison to name a few ???!??? what game were you all at to be able to see them??
I should be grateful if, in future, you would leave the sarcastic comments to me. :D
Just seen your post about Harrison and his headers, it would help if he actually got both feet off the ground when jumping for them. :!:
Admin
Site Administrator
Raven,

Im not just singling Harrison out by the way and quite agree defence were also shocking.

I just hope we have the bouncebackability we have had previously.
Alf
C.V wrote:Cant blame the players they do the work through the week in training its soley down to the manager he picks the team and dictates the tactics.He needs to man up and take the flack the pressure is on him he cant keep hiding behind the same lame excuses of we will bounce back.The jury is out theres not much room left for his poor decisions the clock is ticking.
Exactly!
TheRaven
I think we can all agree that today was a shambles; abject; dire; abysmal; shocking; woeful; disastrous; terrible; inept.

Prizes to people who can come up with other words that aren't restricted to four letters in length and of questionable manners.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
TheRaven wrote:I think we can all agree that today was a shambles; abject; dire; abysmal; shocking; woeful; disastrous; terrible; inept.

Prizes to people who can come up with other words that aren't restricted to four letters in length and of questionable manners.
Execrable.
TheRaven
Good one. I also missed wretched and dismal.
taxidave
Disgraceful Unacceptable Unprofessional
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Lamentable.
TheRaven
Pitiful; Abominable; Shameful
51/84
harrison as we know is not a good target man (especially for his size) hence Gornell being a much better target man who is difficult to knock off the ball and puts in a shift.
As Gillespie got tired then the 2 of them got more isolated but again did either get quality service after the first goal
We couldnt pass, we couldnt win the ball we couldnt tackle
The midfield was atrocious as were the defenders.
If we drop the 2 wide men we only have 3 midfielders Taylor Penn and Richards and one of those wants to go
We do not have 4 midfielders but 3 CM and 3 wide 2 wide men and Deering
In his interview with JP he said his best position was in the hole and he also explained that he cuts in to get in it
Next Saturday he has to go 4-5-1 or 4-3-1-2
RobinHood
Awful, andade worse by the ridiculous ticket prices. If the rationale is putting up prices to increase the playing budget then we've been mugged off.

Just looked too ponderous and predictable, Gillespie still looks a class act though. Throughout MY's tenure the defence has been solid, when that goes we are in real trouble, as scoring goals has never really been our bag.

Still early doors though, but expect a strong reaction next time out.
C.V
Gash
Peter Griffin
I'm firmly in no panic mode. Yes it sounds as though yesterday was a wretched performance but one swallow does not make a summer. We were a little Jekyll and Hyde against Burton, didn't disgrace ourselves against the title favourites and displayed great spirit to beat Crawley. We've still got two key players to come back and I believe we'll just need time to click into gear.

How often do you see a team start slowly, even losing their first three or four games then shooting up the table, coming into form at just the right time? Look at Swindon when they won the league and Crewe when they got promoted.

To say we should gear up for a relegation battle is nonsense. We will certainly win more games than we lose this season and will be there or thereabouts in the table that really matters, the one published after the final games of the regular season.

We've had bad results like this recently-back to back capitulations against Accrington and Southend before a 20 game unbeaten home run, and who can forget that dreadful rain soaked game against an injury ravaged Gillingham side. We have bad days, we bounce back.
Peter Griffin
Another thing of note about Crewe's promotion, is in that pre season they lost about 9 players, some very good ones like Joel Grant, Calvin Zola and Clayton Donaldson and bought in just one sub keeper, so you'd definitely say their squad was weaker than the year before. Can you imagine the panic on here if we'd done the same?!
51/84
and they changed their manager
Alf
And here was me getting worried.
taxidave
Peter Griffin wrote:I'm firmly in no panic mode. Yes it sounds as though yesterday was a wretched performance but one swallow does not make a summer. We were a little Jekyll and Hyde against Burton, didn't disgrace ourselves against the title favourites and displayed great spirit to beat Crawley. We've still got two key players to come back and I believe we'll just need time to click into gear.
Again we have someone commenting on a game that they did not see and I am sure you would not be making those remarks if you had actually seen the abject display that us fans who were there were subjected to. Unfortunately Plymouth are not regarded as one of the promotion hopefuls, so where does that put us, as we were convincingly out-fought by a team who were supposed to be lacking in confidence.
Admin
Site Administrator
taxidave wrote: as we were convincingly out-fought by a team who were supposed to be lacking in confidence.
and by a team that didnt, themselves, play that well....but fortunately for them there was a worst set of 11 players on the pitch.
Peter Griffin
I never suggested the performance wasn't abject and a long way below standard. My point is that one bad day at the office doesn't mean we all need to start predicting a season of doom.

And Plymouth were low on confidence? Said who? Their fans? Clearly their players were confident and not demoralised by successive defeats. In my opinion Plymouth have a more than decent squad and will be in the play off picture. Again, that's not saying the defeat and performance was in any way acceptable but let's not write the season off just yet!
I-Love-CTFC
Peter Griffin wrote:I never suggested the performance wasn't abject and a long way below standard. My point is that one bad day at the office doesn't mean we all need to start predicting a season of doom.

And Plymouth were low on confidence? Said who? Their fans? Clearly their players were confident and not demoralised by successive defeats. In my opinion Plymouth have a more than decent squad and will be in the play off picture. Again, that's not saying the defeat and performance was in any way acceptable but let's not write the season off just yet!
Plymouth will be midtable at best IMO. We made them look good, they're nothing special.
Joey
Watched it again on FLS, I'm no defensive expert but even I could see the defensive errors.

For the first goal, it looked like Troy tried to kick the rebound but surely he would have been better off trying to head it away or out of play? Second goal, Russ was a bit poor with the header and then nobody really attempted to close him down allowing him to shoot. For the third goal whoever it was, if they hadn't done that needless challenge then things might have worked out differently.

10 goals in 4 games is not good, not good at all.
Rick
51/84 wrote:harrison as we know is not a good target man (especially for his size) hence Gornell being a much better target man who is difficult to knock off the ball and puts in a shift.
As Gillespie got tired then the 2 of them got more isolated but again did either get quality service after the first goal
We couldnt pass, we couldnt win the ball we couldnt tackle
The midfield was atrocious as were the defenders.
If we drop the 2 wide men we only have 3 midfielders Taylor Penn and Richards and one of those wants to go
We do not have 4 midfielders but 3 CM and 3 wide 2 wide men and Deering
In his interview with JP he said his best position was in the hole and he also explained that he cuts in to get in it
Next Saturday he has to go 4-5-1 or 4-3-1-2
Who was suppose to be the holding midfielder? Can some one tell me?
51/84
exactly
Penn and Richards were playing as if tied together they seldom were more than 15m apart
leohoenig
Its good to get back to another season, all the old posters making the same posts as they have done before. The same subjects aired over and over again on different threads. Nesty threatening never to come to games again because the football is no good, (Nesty has said that in every single football league season). Various posts about the squad size, the cost of admission, the burgers and of course people posting how they want the team to change for the next match (even if we have played well). Sometime this week, Mark Halliwell will post a link to his blog where the message will be "don't panic".

Of course, the football provided by our team was not good on Saturday, and this too is not a change from previous seasons. Plymouth came to the ground, and played direct, in your face football. In Yates' interview, he referred to Plymouth as "bullying" us, and this is true. A year ago, and at the same point of the season, Accrington won 3-0 at Whaddon Road with exactly the same tactics, while Chesterfield, Rotherham and Rochdale all managed to "bully" us away from home. This is not an accusation at the opposition, I am not suggesting they anything outside the laws of the game. I am saying we can be a little soft, and this has been an ongoing problem. We started the game trying to play nice tippy tappy football, short passes through the midfield because we expected to win - and we kept losing the ball, from where it was moved quickly up front, and Plymouth had the power to hit the ball hard and accurately and cause us problems. By co-incidence (or not?) Boco scored Plymouth's third, just as he had scored for Accrington a year ago. We played 4-4-2 against Accrington, as we did against Plymouth, but it was a while before I noted 4-4-2 against Cheltenham again (Hereford?).

We are a team that appears to have a soft underbelly, and one where the heads go down quickly when we concede a goal or two. We hit too many poor passes - when we booted the ball upfield, we inevitably lost the header, and rarely were we close to the second ball.

As I have already said, there is nothing new here, and in the past a Yates' team has always been able to show a response to a poor performance, (not withstanding the runs of poor results, such as the spring of 2011). There is always room for improvement, and we will always have bad games. I consider that Yates may be limited in what he can achieve, but I still feel he is better than most alternatives.

I am convinced that Yates has made some good signings this summer, and that we have the players to be competitive. I expect that come the end of the season, we will be in a similar position to the last two seasons, (that does not mean play offs for certain - just missing out is a similar position, as is just scraping into the automatic promotion zone). To prove me correct, we must get a reaction to our bad performance when we go to Accrington next week.