Disection here

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

51/84
Brown (keeper ) nothing to do
Sido done nothing is he happy, time for Keith
Troy struggled not helped by the ref
Steve best of the defence but not usual standard
CBB is that his second yellow poor in patches crossing poor - time for Jones

Sam poor / passing poor , little effort - did he he know what he was meant to do
Jermaine hacked in 1st minute went missing their after cause or effect
Penn no drive passing poor
Richards poor until he scored
AV did he do anything
Zak tried hard but we should not be expecting a 18 year old to turn a 3-0 score
Bobbie Dale got his debut see comments re Zak
Byron didnt do anything and didnt seem to know what he was meant to be doing
Gillespie my pick of the team

MY whatever he said in the prematch didnt work
I am not sure we did anything in the second but they decided to defend a 3- 0

Have not heard Yates interview but you cannot blame the pitch , but you can blame the effort

On this performance Harrard to score a hattrick
Uppy
Richards had a good game. Rarely wastes possession and always looks confident and assured.
51/84
Richards gave as many poor passes as Sam
asl
Brown - 4: beaten by a couple of good strikes, but should've got a stronger hand to push the one over that came back off the bar.

Jombati - 4: went missing from defence too often. Link-up play wasn't bad.
Brown - 5: struggled to clear the ball.
Elliott - 4: beaten all ends up by Nelson.
CBB - 5: looked good going forward in the first 15 mins but ended up pinned in his own half.

McGlashan - 4: bright in the first half at times. May as well not have been on the pitch in the second.
Deering - 2: and that's being generous.
Penn - 4: got stuck in with some good tackles but his passing was no better than Sam's.
Richards - 4: and that includes a bonus mark for the free-kick. Passed like Sam and Russ but without the saving grace of having put in a tackle or two. MotM? Really??? Some wag suggested that Keith Lowe should have been awarded that.

Harrison - 4: started okay, but fell away, rapidly.
Gillespie - 6: the one player who looked capable of producing some magic.

Kotwica - 5: looked keen.
Vincent - 4: in 20 mins, his only touch of the ball was with his arm.
Dale - 5: also failed to touch the ball - but at least he was only on a few minutes.
Uppy
Kotwica might have looked keen, but he didn't complete a pass and his dribbling was poor.
51/84
lets not beat up the kids when its the seasoned pros that got us into the mess today
Uppy
Yeah. I understand that. I'm certainly not wanting to lynch him. Keep him in and around the squad. He will improve. But don't say he played well just because he's one of our young lads!
asl
Did I say he played well...? Must've missed that bit...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Deering is not a winger.
Uppy
asl wrote:Did I say he played well...? Must've missed that bit...
According to your ratings, he was our second best player. Don't treat me like a moron, asl!
asl
Not at all: the way I do my ratings is that everyone starts on a 5. He did nothing that made me want to increase nor decrease that. That's why Dale was, by your reckoning, also our joint second-best player.
Educated Bertie
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Deering is not a winger.
Wingers....when was the last time one was espied in "our colours".

MY has eschewed the principle of having players "out wide".

One muses that they have disappeared into the dreaded "hole" that everyone, save yours truly, "bang on" about, ad nauseum.
RED ROB
Don't understand why he DOES play Deering as a winger !!!. There was me thinking he links up with the front lads.
MY needs to have a damn good look at his selection.
51/84
old trap
the best 11 players do not make your best team

We have not seen Jones play a competitive game this season
With some one else in front he might be better
Hubert Parry
Quite simply, that was atrocious. Although that is my first viewing of the new team and squad, if they are better than last season, then I'm the Pope. It has been quite a while since I have witnessed a match with so many pathetic individual performances. We were bullied in every department, woeful with our finishing, and the standard of defending was alarming. Only Steven Gillespie can emerge with any kind of credit, and even he will believe that he was lacking match sharpness. The main culprits were McGlashan, Deering, Harrison, Jombati and most worryingly, Penn. The goals we conceded were all preventable and I am starting to get completely sick of Yates flailing his arms in anger at the fourth official every time we concede. It is not the referee's fault that we cannot defend a simple ball properly. More worryingly, we lacked ideas very early on and resorted to the long ball - we need to be cleverer than that. Before the first goal, we were looking quite decent with some nice one-touch passing. We seem to want to press the panic button when we go behind. What was even more baffling was replacing our only striker (yes, even if he did deserve to go off) with a 17 year old when we were chasing the game. I am all for our youngsters breaking through, but only when they are ready and only in the right circumstance. I really don't get the sense that Yates learns his lessons.

Brown might have improved his positioning for the second goal, but his overall game was fine. Jombati is half the player he once was and he really needs to buck up - I would replace him with Lowe for the next game. Braham-Barrett tries hard, but he is defensively weak and cannot do much more than a simple pass going forward. I would replace him with Jones for the next game. Troy Brown did not impress me much and failed to control their forwards. Elliott was probably the best of the bunch, but that is saying very little. There was a lack of communication, and the defence failed to pass 10 yards to a midfielder half the time.

The midfield picture isn't much better. I didn't notice McGlashan until he completely skied his chance in the 47th minute - like Sido, he needs to buck up and would be out of the team if there was a replacement ready. Deering was pants - half the time he failed to make a 5 yard pass and lost the ball countless times. His movement was fine but he tends to drift too far in with leaves our right flank exposed. That was the worst performance Penn has played for as long as I can remember. He didn't dive into tackles or bully his opposite number anywhere near enough. I would replace him with Taylor in the next game. Richards clearly has a good left foot, but he tended to overkill a lot - that might be down to a lack of support from other teammates.

I am Harrison's biggest fan and I was looking forward to seeing a new, self-assured Harrison. I was disappointed. He did very little all game and deserved to get substituted, but it worries me that a 17 year old was our only option. Evidently he is a confidence player, but if he goes one game without scoring and starts to lose that confidence, that is mental fragility to an extreme level. I would keep him for the next game but demand more from him. Gillespie was the only bright player who tried to make things happen. He probably made more tackles than the rest of the team combined in the first 60 minutes. He was lacking sharpness though, understandably.

Substitutions had little impact. Not sure Dale touched the ball; Vincent didn't influence much up front. That was my first sighting of Kotwica, and it was not impressive. He looked out of his depth - practically missing an open goal, losing the ball a few times, and running the ball out of play, but then again, so did most of the team.

A bad day at the office all round. It needs to be a reality check, we are quite evidently not as good as some people think we are.
vcinthestand
good summing up
taxidave
You saw the same game as me Samuel.
mattyboi
What has happend with Jones? Has he actually had a BIG disagreement with Yates or just dropped.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
taxidave wrote:You saw the same game as me Samuel.
Based on the fact that TD and HP (two of the reviewers I personally trust most) agree then I don't need to have been at the game to understand this performance. Thanks both!
Si Robin
I also agree with Sammy's summing up.

Suffice to say, if Troy Brown and CBB are the answer, what on earth was the question?
51/84
I dont think many would disagree with their views on the game
I suspect that includes MY and probably the players
Horteng
51/84 wrote:Brown (keeper ) nothing to do
Sido done nothing is he happy, time for Keith
Troy struggled not helped by the ref
Steve best of the defence but not usual standard
CBB is that his second yellow poor in patches crossing poor - time for Jones

Sam poor / passing poor , little effort - did he he know what he was meant to do
Jermaine hacked in 1st minute went missing their after cause or effect
Penn no drive passing poor
Richards poor until he scored
AV did he do anything
Zak tried hard but we should not be expecting a 18 year old to turn a 3-0 score
Bobbie Dale got his debut see comments re Zak
Byron didnt do anything and didnt seem to know what he was meant to be doing
Gillespie my pick of the team

MY whatever he said in the prematch didnt work
I am not sure we did anything in the second but they decided to defend a 3- 0

Have not heard Yates interview but you cannot blame the pitch , but you can blame the effort

On this performance Harrard to score a hattrick
I never understand how people can say this when the keeper has conceded goals.... Surely he had something to do and didn't do it regardless if he had "No chance" with the goals?
Horteng
asl wrote:Not at all: the way I do my ratings is that everyone starts on a 5. He did nothing that made me want to increase nor decrease that. That's why Dale was, by your reckoning, also our joint second-best player.
How irish is that? Surely 1 is poor and 10 is amazing? :O
asl
[shrug] Other methods of rating players are available - knock yourself out. I do it that way as I feel it's easier to keep a mental note and I think it helps flatten the ratings for those who don't play a full 90 mins. However, at the end of the day, yes: 1 is rubbish and 10 is amazing. I think I've probably only ever issued one or two ratings of each extreme end of the spectrum.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote:
asl wrote:Not at all: the way I do my ratings is that everyone starts on a 5. He did nothing that made me want to increase nor decrease that. That's why Dale was, by your reckoning, also our joint second-best player.
How irish is that? Surely 1 is poor and 10 is amazing? :O
Also depends on if the players are ranked compared to each other, or compared to what level they usually perform at at an individual level.

If I played 5-a-side with Messi and you scored us out of 10 compared to each other, I'd always be a 1 and Messi a 10 as he is many many levels better.

But even if I'm 1 and he is 10, he might play the worst he ever has by his standards, and I might play the best I ever had, so individually I'd be a 10 and he a 1.

Both are valid ratings but mean different things.
Hubert Parry
This is why I never bother with ratings.
Admin
Site Administrator
Hubert Parry wrote:This is why I never bother with ratings.
10/10 - completely agree. :)
Ralph
You actually need to go to games to be able to give player ratings 8-)
C.V
Ralph wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
taxidave
C.V wrote:
Ralph wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I have even known of people who have commented on games and not been anywhere near the ground. :shock: :shock:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
That's why we rely on the die-hard like you Dave to keep us accurately informed!
rasta
if you had to make one change what would it be?

For me Deering off the wing, either 4-4-1-1 with Deering behind the front man or he doesn't start every goal came from a cross from the side he was on, even when he swapped sides.
taxidave
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:That's why we rely on the die-hard like you Dave to keep us accurately informed!
Well I can assure you I will not be at Stanley next Saturday, it really is a horrible ground, so basically non league that I am amazed they are allowed in the Football League, even Sunkmeadow had better facilities. :o
Si Robin
I liked the Crown Ground, partly because of its lack of facilities, The Crown pub was lovely as well.

However, I will most likely be washing my hair next Saturday.
taxidave
Si Robin wrote:I liked the Crown Ground, partly because of its lack of facilities, The Crown pub was lovely as well.
However, I will most likely be washing my hair next Saturday.
I cannot understand how you can like a ground just because it doesn't have a roof, has no proper toilets and is derelict also the pub just down the road is much better and has a good selection of real ales.