Overreaction

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
Has it stopped yet, or are we doomed to mid-table failure or even relegation after 3 league games and our two first choice strikers injured?

I figure a first home league defeat in pretty much a year isn't too much to get upset about, even if the performance wasn't very good. The main thing to remember is that we lost home games 2 and 3 last season with poor performances, and to worse teams than Plymouth. The one constructive criticism I will add though is that we still can't play 4-4-2. We always look way too open, no matter who is in midfield.
MacRobin
Agree - some of the reactions are far too extreme (particularly some of those that were sent to Radio Glos immediately after the game that were frankly laughable).

Not surprised we struggled to link the midfield and front two given how little time they have had together. Thought we were a bit ponderous with the ball and guilty of too many touches which gave the Plymouth CMs plenty of time to close down. McGlashan is short of confidence and Deering doesn't seem to have a natural position that we can accomodate and the 4-4-2 leaves us unbalanced defensively. We're conceding over two goals a games on average this season, that will have to change for us to even consider a season in the right half of the table. I expect to see Yatesy revert to type and go back to his 4-5-1 away from home but the interesting decision will be who plays up top? Assuming Gornell is not fit then does he go with Byron who, to be fair, has scored goals this season and is clearly a confidence player or with Gilly who showed glimpses of real quality and needs gametime. Tough call and there will be some unhappy campers either way.

We may well see Billy come back in for CBB, Taylor for Deering and possibly Vincent or Kotwica for the sacrificed striker with Jermaine back on the right hand side working with Sido. Partnerships are key and on Saturday in all parts of the park we had either untried or new combinations and hopefully Yatesy will learn quickly what works and what doesn't? We will no doubt persevere with Brown & Elliott but the full back/midfield combinations are the major concern, so five across the middle maybe the insurance policy for Yates.

We were outfought on Saturday so that has to be the starting point - the cliched "you need to earn the right to play" is a cliche because it's true and we lost all of the key battles on Saturday!

No need to press the panic button, but a reaction is required at Accrington.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Lets wait another 5 to 10 games to judge.

Those writing us off are as premature as those who said we were guaranteed top 3.
leohoenig
So thats a do not panic, but wouldn't it be a good idea to change formation and four or five players for the next game?
leohoenig
Mark H has sent me a text to say he does not post links to the blog as he does not ahve an account. His comments are roughly in line with this thread and my earlier prediction, but he is significantly more eloquent than I am

http://cheltenhamtownchatter.blogspot.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
leohoenig wrote:So thats a do not panic, but wouldn't it be a good idea to change formation and four or five players for the next game?
But then how will the players who haven't played much together gel, with no reserve team (other than the odd friendly?).
Alf
Excuse me whilst I look in the drawer for my rose tinted spectacles.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
leohoenig wrote:So thats a do not panic, but wouldn't it be a good idea to change formation and four or five players for the next game?
Is one not allowed to suggest different options of formation or start a discussion about which are best set-up is for the next game?

Even if we'd won the games I'd like to see Jones play and not have Deering on the wing.

Surely players and formation chat is the bread and butter of a football forum.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
But then how will the players who haven't played much together gel, with no reserve team (other than the odd friendly?).
To keep a competetive squad sharp in our situation then squad rotation is key. If the manager does not think any players other than the usual eleven are good enough to play games then why are they at the club?

People say that Jones etc are not match-fit. Unless they play a few games here and there, by the time they are needed due to injury or whatever then they will be even more not match fit.
Peter Griffin
So far, Yates seems to have decided on a starting 11 (injuries permitting) but so far it's not working too well. So does he keep at it in the belief that while we may see a few defeats at the start of the season, things will eventually click into place, or does he play tinkerman and fiddle with formations until he finds one that works?

As I said in another thread, no need to panic yet. If by mid October we're still winless and playing terribly and the attitude is poor then I will worry. If we're still on a bad run but are playing well and are losing to wondergoals and dubious penalties I'll remain positive.

Accrington will be a tough game especially with our form up North.
Educated Bertie
Peter Griffin wrote:
As I said in another thread, no need to panic yet. If by mid October we're still winless ......
Our beloved Leader would be "on his boyke" and, ahem, Mark my words, we'd be doomed! :roll:
RED ROB
I don't think there's any form of panic or over reaction among us, purely fans commenting on what we've seen which hasn't been good.
Three or four in the side haven't fired.
One or two are being played out of position so there's your answer.
taxidave
As I said in another thread if, according to the Echo report, we were being bullied out of it, why did Yates bring on two 17 year olds when we had "old hands" like Taylor and Lowe on the bench who could have handled the bullying. :?
Sprout Picker
taxidave wrote:As I said in another thread if, according to the Echo report, we were being bullied out of it, why did Yates bring on two 17 year olds when we had "old hands" like Taylor and Lowe on the bench who could have handled the bullying. :?
Agree with the sentiment TD but how would the crowd have reacted to bringing on a defensive midfielder and a right-back when 0-3 down?
Shade
RED ROB wrote:I don't think there's any form of panic or over reaction among us, purely fans commenting on what we've seen which hasn't been good.
I saw somebody say Yates has got 3 games to save himself!
C.V
Shade wrote:
RED ROB wrote:I don't think there's any form of panic or over reaction among us, purely fans commenting on what we've seen which hasn't been good.
I saw somebody say Yates has got 3 games to save himself!

Ok then whos going to be the first to name Hope Powell as our next prospective manager ;)
Joey
I'm just going to pretend we'll do what Swindon did, start off shoddy and then go on to win the league. I've got my party poppers ready.
confused.com
good thread this, as it epitomises our season year in year out. We start with the view that the team we have built over the summer, looks good on paper. However when they get on to grass, in general their ability to produce a perfomance, rarely exceeds 45 minutes in any one match. When we do have a good 45 minutes, we may escape with a tense victory or a tense draw. Following this we get the usual 'must be able to play for 90 minutes', 'don't know why it took 45 minutes for us to kick into life' , 'don't know why we vanished in the second half'. However MY assures us that it won't be happening next time out, just as the interviewed players assure us that better is to come.
Danger is that when we don't perform for 45 minutes we become abject failure on a football pitch. No chance of scraping a draw and little chance of scoring a goal. In the aftermath, we are usually assured that it is because we where bullied and it won't be happening again. We read the words and know that it will. The players say there will be a big response, we read the words and know it may last a match, maybe two.
There is of course the third possibility that we rip teams apart ...... hmmmmmm bit like hen's teeth that one, and we know if it does happen, it will be a long time before we see another one.
No point in over reacting, becauase we do the same year in year out and that is about the only thing we are consistent in. Playing for 90 minutes for the majority of the matches would be nice. We don't even have the opion of parking the bus, as that kind of implies that we have the confidence that we can nick a goal and a victory. I think we all know that is not the case.
I think that every Saturday at 14.55 we should play Sony & Cher's 'I got you babe' and have Ned Ryerson read out the team sheet
Si Robin
I was, and still am, fuming after Saturday's game, and I'm usually quite philosophical and over a defeat by the Saturday evening. Mainly because I thought Plymouth weren't very good, we were just much worse.

However, and others have already mentioned, it was very similar to our performance against Accrington last season. After that "performance" we went on a run of one home league defeat in 11 months. Not all performances were brilliant, some were dour, but in the main we got enough points to finish 5th in the League. We're not going to blow teams away, and for every Rotherham at home (3-0, arguably our best performance of last season, certainly the second half of the season) there will be a Chesterfield or Rochdale away.

Frankly, as long as we get results I'll happily watch the team play Pulis-ball (I've been reading "And She Laughed No More" by Stephen Foster, a great read and highly recommended) and sneak every game 1-0.

We were shocking last week, I expect a much improved performance this week. I know as football fans we are unreasonable and don't think logically, but we've had big defeats before and come back much better. The team doesn't need wholesale changes, it needs a rocket up their asses. It may well be that Saturday's performance was the rocket that tells the likes of CBB, Troy Brown and Sido (these three appear to be getting the most flack, and in my opinion were the weakest players on Saturday) that they can't take a team lightly because they have performed poorly in their first two games. If it's not, then their places must be at risk.

My only concern at the moment is that the squad doesn't appear as united as it was over the past two years. We've got players asking to go out on loan because they want game time. This indicates to me that they have been told that barring an injury they're not going to get a game. What's concerning then is that it seems no matter how they do on the training pitch they won't get on. I hope I'm wrong and, again, last Saturday was the rocket up Yatesy's ass to realise that you can't put all your eggs in one basket and play certain players regardless of their form.

All in all, I'm not over-reacting, but I do expect a reaction.
Nesty
Si Robin wrote:I was, and still am, fuming after Saturday's game, and I'm usually quite philosophical and over a defeat by the Saturday evening. Mainly because I thought Plymouth weren't very good, we were just much worse.

However, and others have already mentioned, it was very similar to our performance against Accrington last season. After that "performance" we went on a run of one home league defeat in 11 months. Not all performances were brilliant, some were dour, but in the main we got enough points to finish 5th in the League. We're not going to blow teams away, and for every Rotherham at home (3-0, arguably our best performance of last season, certainly the second half of the season) there will be a Chesterfield or Rochdale away.

Frankly, as long as we get results I'll happily watch the team play Pulis-ball (I've been reading "And She Laughed No More" by Stephen Foster, a great read and highly recommended) and sneak every game 1-0.

We were shocking last week, I expect a much improved performance this week. I know as football fans we are unreasonable and don't think logically, but we've had big defeats before and come back much better. The team doesn't need wholesale changes, it needs a rocket up their asses. It may well be that Saturday's performance was the rocket that tells the likes of CBB, Troy Brown and Sido (these three appear to be getting the most flack, and in my opinion were the weakest players on Saturday) that they can't take a team lightly because they have performed poorly in their first two games. If it's not, then their places must be at risk.

My only concern at the moment is that the squad doesn't appear as united as it was over the past two years. We've got players asking to go out on loan because they want game time. This indicates to me that they have been told that barring an injury they're not going to get a game. What's concerning then is that it seems no matter how they do on the training pitch they won't get on. I hope I'm wrong and, again, last Saturday was the rocket up Yatesy's ass to realise that you can't put all your eggs in one basket and play certain players regardless of their form.

All in all, I'm not over-reacting, but I do expect a reaction.
indeed. unfortunately to hear CBB has signed permanently was not the reaction I expected !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
taxidave
I had an interesting conversation with another contributor to this forum at the friendly match earlier today regarding my moan about the 2 young lads being used when we were being bullied out of the game. Interestingly his observation was that perhaps Yates considered Harrison was playing so badly that he would show him up by replacing him with an untried kid, as anybody would be an improvement on Harrison's efforts.
Horteng
I don't think there's been an overreaction.......I think weve had a poor start to the season
51/84
Thats a very positive comment from you Horteng!
C.V
Horteng wrote:I don't think there's been an overreaction.......I think weve had a poor start to the season

Spot on lets hope Yates can get it sorted