striking partnerships

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

vcinthestand
The thing that makes a difference is if strikers can make a good partnership
Obviously MY wanted Cureton and Gornell to be the best partnership
I thought Gornell and Harrison did well together
Now we have Gillespie in the frame what will be the best partnership
Gornell and Gillespie at least will understand each other
So who starts tomorrow
If both are fit I would imagine its Gornell and Gillespie but Harrison has not done much wrong.
You notice I dont rate AV as a striker and at the moment it will be interesting to see if he starts tomorrow on the wing

So what is the best partnership?
taxidave
vcinthestand wrote:The thing that makes a difference is if strikers can make a good partnership
So who starts tomorrow
If both are fit I would imagine its Gornell and Gillespie but Harrison has not done much wrong.
You notice I dont rate AV as a striker and at the moment it will be interesting to see if he starts tomorrow on the wing

I liked your post until you added the word "wrong" :D
vcinthestand
I dont know if you are serious or not, I think not with the smiling face
I know that lots of people made up their mind about Byron last season
Ok he has not been given the game time he wanted and got a bollocking re the kiddy match but he came on against Burton and scored and did well. The Crawley match he was excellent.
I didnt do chesterfield but understand he was OK, and then there was last week
OK in the first 20 then disappeared but so did everyone else
So in summary he is our leading scorer with 3 goals in 4 games
He is the opposite of Gornell who works hard while Byron is just so laid back
Harrison is not a target man so why punt the ball at him.
If he is dropped then I think his confidence will be destroyed
MY is the boss he will decide
Robin
Harrison has a role to play but to me he is not the same level as the other three strikers. 1st choice is clearly curo so Gilly and Terry tomorrow please and Byron on with twenty to go.
taxidave
I thought Gillespie was the one bright spark in an otherwise very gloomy day last Saturday and so feel sure he will start tomorrow along with Gornell, if in fact we play two strikers.
Vincent looked very lively in the midweek friendly and so could be reaching full fitness in which case he will go above Harrison in the strikers pecking order, as I feel Yates was very upset by Harrison's attitude against Plymouth and demonstrated this by replacing him with an untried youngster.
R_Payney
I'd like to see 3 out-and-out strikers tomorrow seeing as our wingers have done nothing.

Brown
Lowe Brown Elliott CBB
Penn Taylor Richards
Gillespie Gornell Harrison

Roberts, Innis, Sido, Deering, McGlashan, Kotwica, Vincent
Benctfc
What does everyone have against Harrison? The amount of criticism he receives and the way he is singled out is unjustified in my opinion. So far this season he has been our most successful striker as he is top scorer and the main role of a striker is to score goals. Surely if he is a confidence player MY should keep him in the team for Accy as dropping will affect his confidence.

Also the amount of people who moan at Yates for dropping our top scorers last couple of seasons are the same people asking for our top scorer this season to be dropped lol so fickle. Give Byron a run of games.
Shade
It was the same with Odejayi, people think some strikers don't try if they're not bombing about for 90mins. Some players, such as Harrison and KO, try to anticipate where the ball will go and/or will realise they have no chance of winning a header and making it go near a CTFC player so will leave it be. Occasionally they'll anticipate right and be credited as a genius. Most of the time they'll be nowhere near and be lazy gits. That's why they're L2 I guess. These players aren't in the right place at the right time maybe as much as a Gillespie, but when they do get in the right area they'll hit the target.
mattyboi
R_Payney wrote:I'd like to see 3 out-and-out strikers tomorrow seeing as our wingers have done nothing.

Brown
Lowe Brown Elliott CBB
Penn Taylor Richards

Have you had a fall out with Billy Jones aswell? Or have i missed something and Jones has left the club! Not even making your bench when our defence has been shocking, Jones in for CBB.
everyman
vcinthestand wrote:The thing that makes a difference is if strikers can make a good partnership
So who starts tomorrow

Has to be the"g-men" both have natural football intelligence so they should be able to combine well,but they won`t want the ball served up in the air all the time.
JVG
R_Payney wrote:I'd like to see 3 out-and-out strikers tomorrow seeing as our wingers have done nothing.

Brown
Lowe Brown Elliott CBB
Penn Taylor Richards

This line up is too narrow and would freeze Harrison out the game playing wide striker and Gornell can't play wide as he's not the quickest.

I'd play Gilly and Gornell. I'd like to see Vincent given a chance on the wing today as people have been slating him which may be justified but he hasn't started a game yet and hasn't been match fit.

We HAVE to get 3 points today to kick start our season. I know it's still early but once you're down the bottom it can be difficult to get out of it, just look at Torquay last season, nearly went down and the previous two seasons had done well.
R_Payney
mattyboi wrote:

Brown
Lowe Brown Elliott CBB
Penn Taylor Richards

Have you had a fall out with Billy Jones aswell? Or have i missed something and Jones has left the club! Not even making your bench when our defence has been shocking, Jones in for CBB.
No, I wouldn't mind him starting but I can't see Yates dropping CBB when he's just given him a permanent deal.
51/84
So did the double G partnership work yesterday - I think not
So was it down to both not being 100% match fit?
The fact that they had never played together or was it down to lack of supply?

Since the days of the 3 musketeers we do not seem to be able to get a 3 in mid field that can boss the game.
The 3 yesterday would I suspect be everyones ( sorry most peoples) chosen 3, again is it that they need 10 games together to get sorted?
If we are going with those 3 what happens if one gets injured?
Also do we then go 4-3-2-1 which Neil Howarth reckons is actually 4-3-3?
James Spencer or Duffy did fit in on the right until we bought McGlashan, but he then didnt play much until the last 3 or 4 games of that season
So if we have the 3 in midfield what do we do, who do we play as the other 3