West Ham United v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Chat, debate, team news, live updates and video reaction all here this evening: http://bit.ly/WestHamCheltenham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Come on boys, make us proud.
Hubert Parry
Another loss. Yates out.

*No, I am not being serious
Hubert Parry
In all seriousness, it sounds like most fans are very proud and that we gave a good account of ourselves. Let's hope we can take encouragement from it and kick on in the league.
Cheltenhamshire
So many goals across all the games tonight. Anyone know if there will be a highlights show?
C.V
Goals being shown on Sky Sports news
Si Robin
Tomorrow night, BBC1
Shade
I feel they took my advice.
Malabus
Zack Kotwica was superb when he came on and Ryan Innis had a very solid debut.
asl
Zack could've squared a ball for Jermaine to tap in though. Instead he saw glory before him and lashed a shot high and wide from a difficult angle.
Malabus
asl wrote:Zack could've squared a ball for Jermaine to tap in though. Instead he saw glory before him and lashed a shot high and wide from a difficult angle.
He was unlucky at the end of the game not to score; ball just wide of the goal.
asl
Agreed. That was a good effort and I didn't mean to disagree with your assessment - just pointing out that he had a good chance to lay on the equaliser.
Malabus
What was the offence that resulted for their free-kick which was scored superbly.
Ralph
We're in the Mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -goal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
asl
Russ Penn bundled over their player. I thought it was a soft free kick to give away - but ref had no choice.
Joey
Does MY now play the 4-5-1 at Bury?
horlickfanclub
nooooooooo-be brave .play two strikers.
51/84
Couldnt do much with the free kick, Not sure about the second, need to see replays - it appeared several of our midfield stood off him and he created a chance and took it
For once we did not show the opposition too much respect and went at them
Scotty - some excellent saves
Keith solid dont sell the west ham shirt
Innis - now heres a problem. Apart from one dodgy move towards the end he was excellent. I cannot see Troy getting his place back for a bit please extend his loan
Steve was Steve excellent. Thought he might have got away with the booking. 'He was just so fast ref- give me a break'
CBB after a dodgy 5 minutes he was solid
Sammy - good
Penn more like himself
Taylor did it simple
Richards very effective
McGlashan Best I have seen him this season, not blatantly fouled in the 1st minute, and had a good game
Gornell - workhorse
Harrison did well
Zak see harrison ( once he scores he will just go on
Ash - best hes played this season
Yates - got it right - lets take it on
support excellent
London Hammer
Hammer here..

Congratulations guys, your team gave a great account of themselves and showed a few of our overpaid donkeys what team work and commitment is all about.
In fact there were several on that pitch we would like to offload, Diarra, Taylor , Vaz Te, not sure if they would put in half the effort your troops did, but a little footballing reality in League 2 would not harm them.

Glad to see we managed to get in a decent crowd and great support from your side, always better with enough bums on seats to stop it looking like a morgue.

Good luck for the rest of the season, play like that and you will be around the upper reaches IMO.
Robin
I enjoyed that more than Spurs away to be honest, our side was much more competitive (although West Ham were dire in the first half). Upton Park/Boleyn Ground felt like a proper ground unlike most we visit and the home fans are passionate and know their stuff (something I wish CTFC could replicate). I'm assuming the Upton Park area was an eye opener for some used to sleepy Glos, it was certainly extremely multi-cultural.

I won't do ratings but the whole side would get a seven with possibly Brown a 7.5 (for a couple of decent saves) and Vincent a 6.5 as he didn't really do anything when he came on.
Shade
Ralph wrote:We're in the Mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -goal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
League 2 minnows...rarely threatened an equaliser...

Clueless reporters...s#!t paper...
Last edited by Shade on 28 Aug 2013, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.
Hubert Parry
s#!t paper indeed. I am a bit disappointed to read some of the national newspaper reports, with comments like 'far more comfortable than the scoreline suggests'. We are a League Two side playing away to a Premier League side, what did they expect?
Robin
How many saves did we force from their keeper? Yes we had some half chances but to be fair they were more comfortabe than the scoreline would suggest. That said we were a lot more solid and organised than I have seen us in a long time which to me is our bigger success.
Shade
You always have to be doom and gloom, don't you.

If you can manage one entire post that doesn't have any negativity in it then I'll retract it :P
Robin
I assume that isn't aimed at me as I am very much an optimist and known for being too positive!
leohoenig
When it was 2-1, we had a number of half chances which were missed by narrow margins. At this point, I felt West Ham were playing within themselves, and could have moved up a gear if needed - but of course, this would not have guaranteed another goal. Between West Ham's second and our pulling one back, I was worried about a big score against us. This was the only spell where the Hammers were really in complete control.

I thought the penalty incident was a very good piece of refereeing, but waiting to see if the ball went in the net before blowing up for the penalty, he not only gave us every chance, but also justified not giving the red card - as quite clearly there was a covering defender capable of getting back (he did).
Uppy
Glad to hear Innis did well. I'd like to see him start the next game, too, as Troy hasn't looked comfortable.
Robin
Out of interest why didn't Troy play? That said, I too believe Innis should retain his place for Bury.
Si Robin
Picked up a knock against Accrington apparently
51/84
as you say some dodgy reporting
The Gruandian had Deering fouled for the penalty

Basic error

Troy was troubled with a hamstring on saturday so no problem and I believe Innis did enough to remain in the team
Shade
Robin wrote:I assume that isn't aimed at me as I am very much an optimist and known for being too positive!
It was a bit harsh. I take it back.
Red Duke
Cheltenhamshire wrote:So many goals across all the games tonight. Anyone know if there will be a highlights show?
I have just watched the highlight on Robins' Player. There is just over 6 minutes. 13 bits of action, 11 of West Ham and just 2 of the Robins; Penn's shot in the first half and the penalty.
bennox
Red Duke wrote:
I have just watched the highlight on Robins' Player. There is just over 6 minutes. 13 bits of action, 11 of West Ham and just 2 of the Robins; Penn's shot in the first half and the penalty.
And also a reference to Mark Robbins's League Two side!
Malabus
Just to add that Matt Richards goal last night was the first West Ham conceded this season.
Shade
Malabus wrote:Just to add that Matt Richards goal last night was the first West Ham conceded this season.
And he scored a penalty in each round. And 3 for the season in all comps level with Byron. Hopefully they can both score a few in the league now though.