Fair Play

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Chelt Luke in Glos
... To our support tonight, completely out sung the West Ham fans and basically never stopped singing, excellent atmosphere. :) A good display tonight and maybe the positives from this defeat can kick start our season. :D
Robin
Genuinely Luke I thought the atmosphere was very poor for 1500 fans, only a group of 100-150 stood up at the back who constantly sang all game.
hEaLeR
I thought the fans were superb. 100% behind the team
Chelt Luke in Glos
Fair enough but when all 1500 of us stood up and sang it was brilliant. Loudest it has been for a while
taxidave
Was there a football match going on as well ? :!:
George Dixon
The Head Steward for the away end said to me at the end of the game that the Cheltenham fans were the most passionate they had seen for a long time, and that they were very nice people as well.... :)

And that was from someone who has been working at that ground for 30+years and so has seen a few crowds !
duckers
I went to West Ham vs United in the 3rd round of the FA cup earlier this year and I'm sorry to say that United away fans are louder and more passionate than us.
Chelt Luke in Glos
duckers wrote:I went to West Ham vs United in the 3rd round of the FA cup earlier this year and I'm sorry to say that United away fans are louder and more passionate than us.
So are Arsenal, Cardiff, Celtic, Crystal Palace, Liverpool the list goes on... But then again they are allocated 3000 tickets at West Ham so they would be louder
cheltsaxon
Are you serious lol only the kids in the corner made any noise apart from the twice a few more stood up when penn nearly scored and the penalty other than that it was usual statue formations chelt easily in the top five for worst fans!
taxidave
I think the stewards were expecting our fans to behave like Premier fans and stand up throughout the match, because when they saw that my mate had a walking stick they asked us if we would like to move nearer the front as they didn't think he would see much of the game when the fans in front of us were stood up.
They moved the six of us to a position left of the goal and just 3 rows up, the row in front of us was empty, and only a few young kids in the front row.
A great uninterrupted view of a terrific game. :D :D
Circa 1887
....do we need this debate about noise/atmosphere EVERY time we play a Premier League club?
asl
Circa 1887 wrote:....do we need this debate about noise/atmosphere EVERY time we play
Corrected your post Circa...

I thought the stewards were good, too. I liked the reaction of the big black guy at the start - "Barry Hayles...Barry Hayles..." :lol:
Circa 1887
Perhaps one of the board members could invest in a decibel meter, or download an app, to measure the noise levels at games and ultimately provide a swift and conclusive end to these repetitive debates, when they crop up.

They could even have a separate board area to post their readings and work on some tidy little line graphs, to debate with like minded sorts.
Last edited by Circa 1887 on 28 Aug 2013, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
asl
:lol: We'd need at least two, I think, in order to determine who outsang whom.
Circa 1887
Maybe we could have a designated meter for our opponents to use. But then perhaps we'd need an independent adjudicator to verify the results, or observe the use of the noise meters to prevent tampering.

Nothing can be left to chance. I'm happy to fund this in full, as I appreciate the gravitas of the matter.
Laurence
Maybe when we have resolved the quantitative debate over the singing, could we move the discussion on to qualitative aspects?
Stanp1pe
I am one of the quiet ones usually, but last night I can guarantee you the group around and including me never stopped singing all night. I am however grateful to those who start the songs as I join in.

Is it me though or have all the songs sped up, maybe it's old age but I remember them being slower.
Malabus
We need new songs.
Si Robin
Stanp1pe wrote:I am one of the quiet ones usually, but last night I can guarantee you the group around and including me never stopped singing all night. I am however grateful to those who start the songs as I join in.

Is it me though or have all the songs sped up, maybe it's old age but I remember them being slower.
My only ever complaint about the Wymans is how they sped up the Tractor song, so it's not just you Stan.
Admin
Site Administrator
Robin wrote:Genuinely Luke I thought the atmosphere was very poor for 1500 fans, only a group of 100-150 stood up at the back who constantly sang all game.
Some of us lower down still joined in at times but had consideration for some of the very younger generation sat behind us and therefore did not stand all the time blocking their view.
Robin
I don't believe you need to stand to make an atmosphere but from where I was it seemed to be a lot of fans who were there for the experience rather than to get behind the team/show some passion.
R_Payney
Just my opinion but I find sitting down and not making any noise rather boring, so I was a bit annoyed that I didn't have tickets nearer the back.
little mo
Robin wrote:Genuinely Luke I thought the atmosphere was very poor for 1500 fans, only a group of 100-150 stood up at the back who constantly sang all game.
were you there mate. I was sat in the middle and the atmosphere was the best I have heard for years. Give it a rest knocking our fans will you.
little mo
cheltsaxon wrote:Are you serious lol only the kids in the corner made any noise apart from the twice a few more stood up when penn nearly scored and the penalty other than that it was usual statue formations chelt easily in the top five for worst fans!
Absolute balls statement.
RED ROB
Likewise admin, thought we were on the wrong seats and got stuck in the crèche.
I did manage to stand up three times though.
Thought the fans at the back did well and got a lot going.
I don't ever know why some choose to pick at them.