Next three games - season starts here.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Three home games coming up, including two of the biggest home league fixtures of the season. Pompey and Pox will bring numbers and make noise we know, so it's time to perform on the pitch and get the home fans going in what could be a couple of cracking atmospheres. Two battling wins would kick-start the season.

We have men down, but luckily the JPT fixture provides a chance for players like Jones, Vincent and Gillespie to get match time before the league fixtures if required. A perfectly timed match in my opinion for getting ourselves ready for the big ones.

Assuming the injury situation remains as it is, then the back four picks itself on Tuesday:

Sido Lowe Inniss Jones

If they perform well and get a good a understanding against Plymouth then keep it the same for Pompey, though I imagine Elliot will be fit by then and CBB by the week after. I think this is actually a good opportunity to rotate players, and keep everyone sharp and on their toes competing for the shirt - Yates said on the official site he wants players to make a stake for the shirt.

Cureton hopefully to get some time against Pompey before coming back afresh against Oxford, and the Plymouth game should be a battle ground for the other attacking players to lay claim to starting positions.

Lets see some passion at Whaddon in the next two weeks to get everyone going for the season.

Oxford have not lost yet in the league, and if they survive next week would it not be great to take that scalp and send them back down the A40 with no points.

Successful teams can thrive with this adversity with a run of games like this as players knuckle down so I hope we grasp the opportunity to bounce back. Six points and with players coming back and the ingredients are there for a long unbeaten run.

COYR
Horteng
Nonsense the season started at the start........ Weve had a c!#p start
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yes, so time to kick start it and turn it around.

Was a figure of speech.
Horteng
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Yes, so time to kick start it and turn it around.

Was a figure of speech.
Yep.....I don't think the players realise the season has started
Alf
Players fault again?
confused.com
Alf wrote:Players fault again?
FFS, if I take up a contract to do some work, it usually comes about because management is in trouble / lost and they need extra help. I am getting paid to do it, I know what I have to do and I get on with it. I don't expect to be spoon fed every minute of the day. I don't expect to have someone sitting at my shoulder telling me what to do, how to do it. These guys are professional footballers, they are employed because they have experience and know what they should be doing. If management is weak / incompetent then all you have to do is rely on your own experience and skill to get the job done.

Of course there is an alternative and run around like a headless chicken. Fecking sick and tired of being promised a reaction. How about avoiding there having to be a reaction, or if there is a reaction it lasts longer than 90 scrappy minutes at Accrington. Fecking same story as last year and if we kick on from now .... great , but these lost points will come to bite us in the @rse one way or another at the end of the season. I have stopped reading the Echo on a Monday, cos if we win, it blows our performance out of all proportion and if we lose we read the usual , not happy, players know they have let everyone down, big reaction to it next time. Well it is a fecken pity their memories of knowing they have let us all down, does not span more than one match. Either give 100% every match or feck off and that applies to players and management
C.V
confused.com wrote:
FFS, if I take up a contract to do some work, it usually comes about because management is in trouble / lost and they need extra help. I am getting paid to do it, I know what I have to do and I get on with it. I don't expect to be spoon fed every minute of the day. I don't expect to have someone sitting at my shoulder telling me what to do, how to do it. These guys are professional footballers, they are employed because they have experience and know what they should be doing. If management is weak / incompetent then all you have to do is rely on your own experience and skill to get the job done.

Of course there is an alternative and run around like a headless chicken. Fecking sick and tired of being promised a reaction. How about avoiding there having to be a reaction, or if there is a reaction it lasts longer than 90 scrappy minutes at Accrington. Fecking same story as last year and if we kick on from now .... great , but these lost points will come to bite us in the @rse one way or another at the end of the season. I have stopped reading the Echo on a Monday, cos if we win, it blows our performance out of all proportion and if we lose we read the usual , not happy, players know they have let everyone down, big reaction to it next time. Well it is a fecken pity their memories of knowing they have let us all down, does not span more than one match. Either give 100% every match or feck off and that applies to players and management

Wow that was unexpected from you but l agree 100% with you
MrsWardenHill
confused.com wrote:

Superbly put sums it up for me. Well done.
Circa 1887
What frustrates me is that we do not appear to have learned or progressed since our play-off final failure.

We still regularly look tactically naive, we are still liable to a sound thrashing away from home and we still find players being isolated from the first team that we all know can make a contribution.

My gut feeling is that Yates and Howarth are not tactically aware enough to adequately prepare the team each week. Or if they are, they are not capable of communicating these tactics sufficently well to the various players we've had over the last two years.

In essence, I do not believe that we are seeing the best out of our players. Ultimately, a couple more bad results and I fear that the clock may have begun ticking on their tenure in charge.
Robin
Circa 1887 wrote:What frustrates me is that we do not appear to have learned or progressed since our play-off final failure.

We still regularly look tactically naive, we are still liable to a sound thrashing away from home and we still find players being isolated from the first team that we all know can make a contribution.

My gut feeling is that Yates and Howarth are not tactically aware enough to adequately prepare the team each week. Or if they are, they are not capable of communicating these tactics sufficently well to the various players we've had over the last two years.

In essence, I do not believe that we are seeing the best out of our players. Ultimately, a couple more bad results and I fear that the clock may have begun ticking on their tenure in charge.

Another great post.
C.V
There was talk Baker wants to extend there contracts personally l think he has been found out and taken us as far as he can
51/84
many teams come from nowhere have a playoff season followed by a second and then suffer for several months as the team is rebuilt reshaped
How many new players CCB T Brown Innis Richards Gornell Cureton Vincent then Gillespie plus Taylor and harrison only late arrivals last season.
In addition Deering Zak Hanks and Williams not to mention Dale. So in effect 15 players trying to settle in add to the disappointment from last season and MY not knowing what formation to play or what players in what positions
It would be easier to name those that were in regular competition here last season Scotty Sido Lowe Elliot Penn McGlashan and add on Taylor Harrison and Deering so 6 plus 3. I am surprised we have 4 points when you add in injuries
Alf
Robin wrote:
Circa 1887 wrote:What frustrates me is that we do not appear to have learned or progressed since our play-off final failure.

Another great post.
I would say the above is a more realistic post.
Although the players are not completely exempt from responsibility, at a professional level they can't just go out onto the field and do as they like as has been suggested.
Neither can a player say 'sod this, I'm doin what I want' like they used to in The Rover.
Whichever way you look at it the manager picks the team, the formation and the tactics, the players, generally, do as they're instructed or find themselves on the bench.
leohoenig
Alf wrote: Whichever way you look at it the manager picks the team, the formation and the tactics, the players, generally, do as they're instructed or find themselves on the bench.
At which point, someone on this board will say they are being unfairly frozen out
confused.com
Alf wrote:
Robin wrote:

Another great post.
I would say the above is a more realistic post.
Although the players are not completely exempt from responsibility, at a professional level they can't just go out onto the field and do as they like as has been suggested.
Neither can a player say 'sod this, I'm doin what I want' like they used to in The Rover.
Whichever way you look at it the manager picks the team, the formation and the tactics, the players, generally, do as they're instructed or find themselves on the bench.
So Alf, a player can't decide to chase a ball, a player can't decide to put in a tackle, a player can't decide to give a bit more effort, a player can't decide to get back and help out, a player can't decide to give a half decent pass? Get real
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Three goals and a good comeback last night with a patch-work defence.

A few more bodies back for Pompey and Pox and they should be cracking games - can't wait!

COYR
Robin
How many games have you been to this season RCS out of interest?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:How many games have you been to this season RCS out of interest?
Zero - Saturday will be my first, hence my confidence of a corker.

Don't see why that's relevant to this thread.
confused.com
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Young Skywalker - you have much to learn !!!!you are only ever allowed to pass comment on or have opinion on events you have actually seen with your own eyes ! You have been on here long enough to know that golden rule of life
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:

Young Skywalker - you have much to learn !!!!you are only ever allowed to pass comment on or have opinion on events you have actually seen with your own eyes ! You have been on here long enough to know that golden rule of life
Fair play if anyone on here has seen the Portsmouth and Oxford games already!!
Robin
I feel that is the problem RCS, those who are most frustrated are those spending money going to the games so it's harder for you to relate to them.
Alf
Confused.Right. I will 'get real' if it will help you understand my point.
If you had taken the trouble to read properly what I posted you will notice that I said 'the players are not completely exempt from responsibility.
This covers the scenario whereby it is naturally assumed that players will make an effort to chase a ball, make tackles etc;
I don't believe that generally, a player suddenly thinks "can't be arsed with all this football lark, I'd rather be emptying bins" and stops trying for absolutely no reason at all, there is usually an underlying reason for it.
confused.com
Alf wrote:Confused.Right. I will 'get real' if it will help you understand my point.
If you had taken the trouble to read properly what I posted you will notice that I said 'the players are not completely exempt from responsibility.
This covers the scenario whereby it is naturally assumed that players will make an effort to chase a ball, make tackles etc;
I don't believe that generally, a player suddenly thinks "can't be arsed with all this football lark, I'd rather be emptying bins" and stops trying for absolutely no reason at all, there is usually an underlying reason for it.
Alf, you did indeed say that, however I did read ALL of your comment, which more or less went on to say that they are restricted in all they do by the managers tactics and formation. As you obviously (quite rightly) appreciate The Rover and the exploits of Mr Race. Could I also suggest that the team is not equipped by MY with a pair of Billy's Boots, that mysteriously take them to places they do not want to be and do things , like not putting in a decent shift, that they do not want to do ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I feel that is the problem RCS, those who are most frustrated are those spending money going to the games so it's harder for you to relate to them.
I've bought a season ticket and not yet been to a game so I'm equally frustrated - but for other reasons.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:Confused.Right. I will 'get real' if it will help you understand my point.
I play a sport in a county league - I had an awful run where I was very bad and lost a lot of matches I should not have. A lot of it was confidence, and a lot of it was bottling and losing from winning positions. To spectators I looked a poor player and like I gave up, but most of it was being scared to go for shots and then frustration and mental fragility.

I would have been a fool to make the effort to turn up on a Friday evening for three hours and not try to win - it was not deliberate - just for whatever reason I was very below par and had little interest to fight for it when playing.

Getting through the slump now and performing much better - more relaxed and free-flowing and instinctive. Just takes something to boost confidence and get you in the right mind-frame.

Maybe CTFC need a new sports psychologist?
Alf
Nice one Confused! Made me laugh. Actually we did have Billy's Boots at full back but looks like his boots are now made for walking.
51/84
I play a sport in a county league - I had an awful run where I was very bad and lost a lot of matches I should not have. A lot of it was confidence, and a lot of it was bottling and losing from winning positions. To spectators I looked a poor player and like I gave up, but most of it was being scared to go for shots and then frustration and mental fragility.

I would have been a fool to make the effort to turn up on a Friday evening for three hours and not try to win - it was not deliberate - just for whatever reason I was very below par and had little interest to fight for it when playing.

Getting through the slump now and performing much better - more relaxed and free-flowing and instinctive. Just takes something to boost confidence and get you in the right mind-frame.

I didnt realise the still played crown bowls up north!
I hope you enjoy the game on saturday , because if you do we will not have rolled over and gone belly up
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
51/84 wrote:

I didnt realise the still played crown bowls up north!
I hope you enjoy the game on saturday , because if you do we will not have rolled over and gone belly up
There are about eight greens in a half mile radius of my house. A friend visited and we walked past four in a five minute walk - he couldn't believe it.

Alas, that is not the sport.
taxidave
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: There are about eight greens in a half mile radius of my house. A friend visited and we walked past four in a five minute walk - he couldn't believe it.
I don't play Crown but I do like Petanque, unfortunately only a couple of places where it is played locally.
Alf
taxidave wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: There are about eight greens in a half mile radius of my house. A friend visited and we walked past four in a five minute walk - he couldn't believe it.
I don't play Crown but I do like Petanque, unfortunately only a couple of places where it is played locally.
I drank a couple of cases of that last week end.