Billy Jones leaves

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Uppy
What has BJ done that is so bad that he couldn't play the next few games. Jombati-Lowe-Innis-Jones is at least a complete back line.
51/84
I think the point is that even when he had the opportunity Jones still didnt get a game
He is a free agent and can sign now, get a signing on fee and a pay off.
If he didnt go now all he would get is a loan at best and having seen Duffy not being allowed to go last season would he have gone. I am sure the clubs reason/excuse was no one would pay enough of his wages so he would stay here.
It would not surprise me if his agent has not already organise a team for him
So was he pushed or did he jump
leohoenig
I struggle to understand this board - when Jones was playing, most comments seemed to be that we needed a new Left back and that he should be replaced. As soon as this happens, most of the comments are that he has been unfairly treated and should be in the team. Is is my imagination, or have some people expressed both opinions?

I cannot actually believe that Yates wanted him, and did not try to find a new club for him. A long term loan or a free transfer reduces our costs more effectively than releasing by mutual consent. It is even possible that Jones' agent has manufactured the position in order to make more money than a simple transfer out would generate.
Benctfc
I would go as far as saying without him last year we wouls have struggled to get playoffs. How many times last year did his set pieces/crosses provide key goals and make the difference in games. Northampton and Gillingham home games two examples at the end of the season where his delivery helped win us those matches. When we were playing c!#p football (a lot last year) his extra quality helped prove this difference and win us the game. Already this season we are missing hsi set pieces imo
kago
I would like to suggest we do not know what goes on behind the scenes
There is a video by JP where Yates says he did not realise how good Jones was
Equally we do not know if there were any clauses in the contract that said
If you play a certain amount of games you get a bonus or play 50 matches over 2 seasons and get a new contract automatically
If either of those were true and he was prevented from doing so he would be brassed off
The fact that he stuck in a transfer request after 3 matches indicates he was either told he was not wanted or that he or his agent had something set up for him to go to
Maybe he didnt like being away from home. There are all sorts of reasons that things happen and there are 2 sides to each story
Perhaps JP will get the real story or even the truth!