Billy Jones leaves

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

DingDing
Mutual Consent
QED
Wow.
CTFC03
A real shame, best of luck to you Billy!!
DingDing
Says to me that either he already has a move lined up, or we have someone we need to free up wages for.

Reminds me of when Bennett left in the last window.
Benctfc
Another player Yates forces to leave and another player like Duffy last year who should have played more well done yates.
QED
It makes sense to move a player on who is not currently first or second choice in his favoured position, especially if the money can be used for cover elsewhere.

However...

Yates is digging his own grave at the moment - if the results don't improve dramatically in the next few weeks, he is going to have to explain why he chose to freeze out, alienate and move on players that have shown that they can do a job for us. If things improve then he deserves credit, but this seems a lot like January, when Bennett and Duffy were moved on\frozen out and we tailed off into play-off failure again.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
What a joke.

Lowe Innis Sido the back three tomorrow?

Edit: I think it's a disgrace.
Robin
Please see my post this morning, Jones leaving and a new defender coming, may even get two players.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Please see my post this morning, Jones leaving and a new defender coming, may even get two players.
who?
Robin
I wasn't given a name to be honest but was told BJ will go and a new defender will come in. Possible we may also get one other too.
baggy89
How many goals did we score at the start of last season from dead balls delivered by Billy Jones, which in turn created momentum. Always useful to have player like that at this level.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I wasn't given a name to be honest but was told BJ will go and a new defender will come in. Possible we may also get one other too.
not rocket science that if you get rid of one of two left backs you need a replacement.

Just hope it's someone just as good as Jones.
Circa 1887
Lee Ridley please....
51/84
not surprised after Easter he was getting skinned for fun by pacey wingers. Targetted by other clubs.
Having said that he seldom got the support from Mo that was required
Also he was filling in the slot released by Garbutt - where is he now
Jones took excellent corners and free kicks but I always thought with his free kicks he should have been going at goal himself
Having him taking all the corners on the right meant that we were not set up properly to defend and lost a few goals as a result

I am slightly concerned that we have to pay a player off 1 month into the season but if Yates was never going to play him then fair enough. Slightly different with 3 months to go but not sure about 9 or 10 months to go
Perhaps we will get another Garbutt in and then it will have been a good thing

2 more points
1 Can we not train someone to take decent free kicks or corners
2 Can JP get an exclusive with BJ to find out the problem

Just hope it does not come back to bite us
THECHOIRBOY
James Brown has tweeted incoming transfer news soon........
THECHOIRBOY
David Noble midfielder is the man ...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
THECHOIRBOY wrote:David Noble midfielder is the man ...
can he play left back?
Circa 1887
Hmmm. Decent player, but past his best. Another Carter?
51/84
but if Richards is playing LB we need another mid
so will it be Penn Richards and Noble when everyone fit
Si Robin
Very annoyed by this, I think Billy has been very harshly treated.

No he wasn't the quickest, but it's very easy to forget that he was an important part of our best defence in years last season. I hope he finds another League club, he certainly deserves to.
taxidave
Si Robin wrote:Very annoyed by this, I think Billy has been very harshly treated.

No he wasn't the quickest, but it's very easy to forget that he was an important part of our best defence in years last season. I hope he finds another League club, he certainly deserves to.
As a free agent and a big cheque in the bank, I doubt he is in any rush.
Nesty
how much longer is Paul Baker going to keep bankrolling his managers mistakes?
C.V
Nesty wrote:how much longer is Paul Baker going to keep bankrolling his managers mistakes?

Well thats a fair portion of the West Ham money chucked down the drain 10 months of a twelve month contract wont be peanuts
Last edited by C.V on 02 Sep 2013, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
Red Duke
Nesty wrote:how much longer is Paul Baker going to keep bankrolling his managers mistakes?
I think that is unfair - if you ask any Chairman of any club, their managers have signed players who turn out to be mistakes. I think of Alex Ferguson and Harry Redknapp- Djemba Djemba and Jose Bosingwa. I sure that many more could be named.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Red Duke wrote:
I think that is unfair - if you ask any Chairman of any club, their managers have signed players who turn out to be mistakes. I think of Alex Ferguson and Harry Redknapp- Djemba Djemba and Jose Bosingwa. I sure that many more could be named.
£50 million on Torres.

CV is giving Yates the Allen treatment and it's unpleasant to see.
C.V
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Red Duke wrote:
£50 million on Torres.

CV is giving Yates the Allen treatment and it's unpleasant to see.

So you think its a good deal then? fair enough l would have prefered the money spent on a player
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
C.V wrote:
So you think its a good deal then? fair enough l would have prefered the money spent on a player
No. I have stated several times that Jones was my preferred first choice left back this season. I even said it was a disgrace to get rid of him.
Hubert Parry
When he first arrived, I was very sceptical of the signing, but this is a disgrace. He did not deserve the treatment he has received. Yates is starting to annoy me.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hubert Parry wrote:When he first arrived, I was very sceptical of the signing, but this is a disgrace. He did not deserve the treatment he has received. Yates is starting to annoy me.
Not like you HP to brand words like 'disgrace' around lightly.
Hubert Parry
I would probably like to tone it down, but this is becoming all too common an occurrence. Techniques like the hairdryer treatment and freezing players out are archaic. Yates deserves some patience however.
Laurence
Am I missing something here? Is this fundamentally different to the treatment Danny Andrew received, and I don't remember the same amount of faux "outrage" that i've seen here and on twitter. All this stuff about how he was "treated". Come on. This happens all the time in football. It's not a pleasant business, people aren't treated "well". Especially managers that let sentiment get the better of them. I'm not saying it's right, but to suddenly start being angry at a player being paid-off and let go seems a bit odd.

Are we really under the impression that the poor start to this season is down to the left back spot? Would we be top of the league if Billy Jones was a regular again? I don't think so. I'm not so sure we'd be much better off, as most of the problems seemed to be further up the pitch and down the right side.

Just ask yourself, of the players Yates has let go over the years, who proved his judgement wrong?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Laurence wrote:Am I missing something here? Is this fundamentally different to the treatment Danny Andrew received, and I don't remember the same amount of faux "outrage" that i've seen here and on twitter. All this stuff about how he was "treated". Come on. This happens all the time in football. It's not a pleasant business, people aren't treated "well". Especially managers that let sentiment get the better of them. I'm not saying it's right, but to suddenly start being angry at a player being paid-off and let go seems a bit odd.

Are we really under the impression that the poor start to this season is down to the left back spot? Would we be top of the league if Billy Jones was a regular again? I don't think so. I'm not so sure we'd be much better off, as most of the problems seemed to be further up the pitch and down the right side.

Just ask yourself, of the players Yates has let go over the years, who proved his judgement wrong?
Andrew was replaced with better, though I thought the abuse he got on here was out of order.

Jones, our leading assister was replaced with someone who never even played a League game before at a fair age.

We may have had a goal or two more had he played - who knows.
Joey
Finding myself getting more and more frustrated with MY at of late, I don't want the club being seen in a bad light among players due to the conduct of MY.
Uppy
Stupid timing with CBB injured. I hope he has a replacement lined up.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Uppy wrote:Stupid timing with CBB injured. I hope he has a replacement lined up.
Not today. No one else in until the loan window opens at least.