Cheltenham Town v Plymouth Argyle, JPT

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Chat, debate, team news, live updates and video reaction all here this evening: http://bit.ly/PlymouthJPT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Good to see Stevie G off the mark.
confused.com
think we can safely conclude Mr Taylor is not a centre back ;(
Nesty
and Deering isnt a winger
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:and Deering isnt a winger
We all realised that this time last season.
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
We all realised that this time last season.
Apart from Yates who keeps playing him there.
little mo
penalty shoot out. COYR
Hubert Parry
Lost. Awful start continues.
Malabus
Another cock up!

Posted from a warm home with vodka
Shots and delicious nibbles
Uppy
Didn't see who missed. Lowe, Taylor, Deering and Noble all scored.
Chelt Luke in Glos
So close... but more disapointment
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Gornell has his saved.

Good to see all but our strikers score pens - where is Justin Richards when you need him?
Malabus
Wolves cruised to the next round very easily.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:Wolves cruised to the next round very easily.
Clubs like them have to focus on JPT to make a season worthwhile - decent sides looking for promotion don't mind going out in round one.
solihullkev
Being knocked out not really an issue for me - conceding 19 goals in 8 competitive games is. Only Accrington have failed to score against us, all other teams have scored at least 2 goals in each of the other games, statistically you are not going to win many games with that defensive record. I'd take a couple of ugly 0-0s, 1-1s in next two home games.
little mo
Cant wait to read about where we went wrong, and how s#!t certain players are, from all the experts who were not even there. :lol: :lol:
solihullkev
For the avoidance of doubt I wasn't there tonight, but over 8 games the defensive frailties are revealed by the results alone. I was there on Saturday and we went into defensive meltdown. Something of a trend in conceding goals in quick succession too - Plymouth x 2 and Bury
C.V
little mo wrote:Cant wait to read about where we went wrong, and how s#!t certain players are, from all the experts who were not even there. :lol: :lol:

Hence no comments from me
little mo
solihullkev wrote:For the avoidance of doubt I wasn't there tonight, but over 8 games the defensive frailties are revealed by the results alone. I was there on Saturday and we went into defensive meltdown. Something of a trend in conceding goals in quick succession too - Plymouth x 2 and Bury

Must admit, the goals against this season does make grim reading so far.
Admin
Site Administrator
I thought Kotwica and Vincent were on the wings?
Oldun
They were! Best bit about this eve was the second half display of our new signing. He looked good, and even made Sam look an improved player in the second 45 Hope Steve fit for Sat as Taylor not a centre half. Dare I try some scores?

Scotty 7 Didn't do anything wrong; hopelessly exposed on goals
Keith 6 Gave ball away too easily
Sido 7+ thought he had better game
Taylor 6 square peg etc but battled well all game
Ryan 7 better than his partner
Russ 6 battled but team improved when he went off
Sam 5 first half 6 second still not sure he is worth a place
AV 4 little contribution
Byron 5 should have won it for us.
Gilly 7/8 looked up for it and scored a couple too
Zac 6 didn't contribute very much
Subs Noble 8 vey promising
Germaine 8 some excellent crosses
Gornell not on long enough (But enough time to miss a pen!!!)
taxidave
little mo wrote:Cant wait to read about where we went wrong, and how s#!t certain players are, from all the experts who were not even there. :lol: :lol:
Well I was there and I thought we did quite well to come back from 3-1 down again to force a draw even if a lot of that time was against 10 men, although again we were pretty dire in the first half..
Have to admit the defence did not have a very good evening but the midfield looked quite strong particularly when Noble started the second half.
McGlashan put in some excellent crosses but unfortunately they were met by Harrison who couldn't buy a goal at the moment and our other 2 strikers (Gillespie and Gornell) both missed penalties.
51/84
so here goes
Scotty may have been out of position for the lob but had a couple of good stops
Lowe back to the bench especially as no one will get it on his head from corners
Innis showed he is a youngster who is learing but no one to talk him through - I hope steve is fit on saturday
Taylor no CB but handled Morgan well
Sido was an improvement
AV best game yet but faded
Sammy too many misplaced passes when under no pressure. Needs yto pass in front of Lowe not behind but had good bits but I imagine will not play CM normally
Penn did some decent work in the first half
Noble ok
Zak good but no real final ball but hopefully it will come providing he is used sensibly
Harrison missed a few good chances
gilly knows where the goal is good first goal lucky second rebound
McGlashan supplied at least 5 final balls to no effect from strikers - went off at penalties with ice strapped to his leg
Gornell poor penalty

Shocking defending but I cannot see that defensive line up in a real match if there are options
Elliot back to talk Innis through the game if Yates decides to play Richards at the back then Sido for Low
baggy89
Just goes to show opinions are like arseholes...

Taylor 6 ?? Despite being at fault for all three Plymouth goals.

Positioning wrong for the first standing off his man then going for the ball when he had no chance of reaching it.

Positioning off in build up to second again standing off his man allowing the ball to be played out to their left before facing the wrong was as the ball came across our area.

Lost his man for their third.

I recognise he's not a CB and his positioning was probably correct had he been playing in his normal CM role but he never warranted a 6 even his "goal" pinballed off about 8 players of various coloured shirts before dribbling across the line.

Vincent began to come into the game 10 minutes prior to being subbed but never a 4. As for the kids behind me calling him a useless see you next Tuesday. Well... You possibly have the result you deserve.

Harrison and Kotwica the only bright spots in a poor first half. Harrison in particular held the ball up, led the line and on another day could have realistically had 4 or 5.

Second half the switch to 3-4-3 worked well and we dominated with the change in formation.

Terry Gornell Plumbing & Heating Ltd('s) penalty was atrocious. The only time their keeper dived to his left and I'm sure it was because he had time after the ball was struck to have a cup of tea before he choose which way to go. Woeful.

Before I decide to come on Saturday I want assurances that I won't have to endure the spectacle of Taylor at CB again... EVER!!!!!!!!
baggy89
Think Jermaine injured himself as he was putting himself about a bit against their LB good few fairly hard body checks going in, then he appeared to be a bit ginger on his left leg. I'd imagine just a bruise.
PaulGodfrey
Jermaine had a small ice pack but the real reason he sat out the penalties was because Plymouth had a man sent off. When it comes to a shoot-out, if one team has more players on the field at the end than the other they have to nominate someone to step out of the penalties. The logic behind this is that when a team has a player sent off, the punishment only lasts for the duration of the on-field game. By taking a game to penalties FIFA believe that the remaining 10 players have done well enough to earn an even chance at the spot kicks. The goalkeeper cannot be nominated to sit out the penalties as he has to participate in them.
confused.com
Just as well he wasn't playing on the wing then eh ?
51/84
Thanks Paul, I did know that but totally forgot about them being down to 10 when it came to penalties
We had enough good chances to win after 3-3 but we should not be 3-1 down in the first place
theidlerich
Interesting perspectives - agree with Kotwica as one for the future - quick and has a footballing brain - ran into space well, with game time hopefully will come good. New loanee Noble looked useful too. Harrison won 'air balls' , but his foot control lets him down! Taylor not a c/h ; personally I don't feel he has added anything to CTFC since his arrival. Deering ran and bustled [ mainly off the ball!], but too many passes astray - 50% approx. Good cameo from McGlashen, with some excellent crosses to no avail - where were the strikers? Gillespie, good to see him on the score sheet, but he's lost that extra yard. We should have won that comfortably - gave away two soft goals - Taylor at fault in my book. Sadly only my second viewing of CTFC this season - the other was Crawley. Roll on Sat vs some Coastal town!
ghandi
Please,please,make it stop.jason taylor is not a centreback or midfield player,he's a donkey.we must be totally desparate to even think about having him on the pitch.So whats the story with gillespie?He plays in the league againist plymouth,although no match fit he still looks like he could get you a goal out of nothing.Now i think if had been in the starting lineup for west ham & bury,things may looked better.So low & behold,yatesy has a flash of inspiration [very rare] and plays him last night,and he bags 2 goals.Me,i would unload harrison & vincent {what a pair of smilers they are!],and pull out all the stops to get gellispie back.The bloke is class,he scores goals,and he smiles as well.