Sam Deering

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

mattyboi
Lets be honest, hes a good squad player to fill in here and there and use a sub through the season. But what has he contributed since being a regular in the starting line up. He runs around alot, but often with no end product. The trouble we have in Penn, Pack and Summerfield were class and now we have just 1 of those. Hopefully Noble will shine. But i just think Sammy isnt good enough to warrant a starting place on Saturday.
Robin
I believe Deering will be dropped unless we go 4-3-3 with him and Gilly playing off Terry.
51/84
sam is poor coming off the bench
IYWT
We will not be anywhere near the top 7 with Deering in the team, especially on the wing
RED ROB
So play him in his rightful position, he's never ever been a winger. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Pie
Ah so Deering is the new name on the lips f the boo boys.
Office me if in wrong but Deering was the best player during Pre-season? He was playing "in the hole" just behind the strikers, he linked the play well and set up a fair few goals.
But now he's being played out of position, it's being questioned as to if we actually need him.

People will argue "why did we being in Noble if Sam is so good", well Noble plays as a CM and not a ACM, and it also doesn't help that Deering is playing out of position.
It's like getting Steve Elliot to play as a striker!
THECHOIRBOY
Pie wrote:Ah so Deering is the new name on the lips f the boo boys.
Office me if in wrong but Deering was the best player during Pre-season? He was playing "in the hole" just behind the strikers, he linked the play well and set up a fair few goals.
But now he's being played out of position, it's being questioned as to if we actually need him.

People will argue "why did we being in Noble if Sam is so good", well Noble plays as a CM and not a ACM, and it also doesn't help that Deering is playing out of position.
It's like getting Steve Elliot to play as a striker!
But......is Deering good enough that we change the formation / make up of our team to build it around him?
CTFC03
Deering needs to be dropped.
cliffy90
CTFC03 wrote:Deering needs to be dropped.
I expect he will be.
confused.com
have to buck the trend, I thought Sam put in a decent shift on Tuesday. Not saying we should build a team around him, but he definitely does not deserve some of the rubbish being talked on here
rasta
got pushed over twice in first 5mins on Tuesday, came alive when they went to 10 men, not a midfielder, needs to play in the hole, metaphorically speaking
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sounds like he did well at the Boleyn according to reports?
51/84
but his passing was poor. Change direction passes to Low but to where he was not where he was going.
To often the pass stopped the momentum rather than add to it
RED ROB
I make Sam No 5 on the scapegoat list now.
Over recent games hardly anyone has covered themselves in glory.
baggy89
51/84 wrote:but his passing was poor. Change direction passes to Low but to where he was not where he was going.
This was an issue on Tuesday, but instead of dropping I'd suggest he needs a run of games.

The main issue with us, as pointed out to me, we have too many good players to fit a good formation.

Yates and his management team need to sort out how we are going to play. Stick to it. Coach it. And let others worry about it. We have the quality to play 3-4-3, 4-5-1, 3-5-2, 4-4-2

Sammy can be part of it.
mattyboi
[quote="Pie"]Ah so Deering is the new name on the lips f the boo boys.

Well if Jason Taylor can come in for it, why cant Deering? Alot of people cant see what he contributes?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
baggy89 wrote:
51/84 wrote:but his passing was poor. Change direction passes to Low but to where he was not where he was going.
This was an issue on Tuesday, but instead of dropping I'd suggest he needs a run of games.

The main issue with us, as pointed out to me, we have too many good players to fit a good formation.

Yates and his management team need to sort out how we are going to play. Stick to it. Coach it. And let others worry about it. We have the quality to play 3-4-3, 4-5-1, 3-5-2, 4-4-2

Sammy can be part of it.
A squad is there to be used. Pick the best players for a formation. If the next game a different formation is preferable, pick the best players for that.

Don't shoe-horn players in to a system they don't fit (Deering wing, Benson one up top last season, etc)
Old Coventrian
baggy89 wrote:
51/84 wrote:
I've never heard such rubbish - too many good players to play a good formation? How do Chelsea. Man U, Arsenal, Real Madrid etc manage then? They've got lots more good players than us