YATES - Nail you colours to the mast don't hide

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Right there seems to be a growing group calling for his sacking and threatening to boycott games. Where do you all stand?

My view he should not be sacked but should not be offered a new deal until there is a significant improvement and ideally PB should look to bring an experienced coach alongside him to help organise the team.
C.V
I to don't want him sacked but l do want a vast improvement
mattyboi
Robin wrote:Right there seems to be a growing group calling for his sacking and threatening to boycott games. Where do you all stand?

My view he should not be sacked but should not be offered a new deal until there is a significant improvement and ideally PB should look to bring an experienced coach alongside him to help organise the team.
Agree with most of this, apart from bringing in an experianced coach. With what money? Plus it would totally undermine our current staff, did we need an experianced coach the last 2 seasons, or seasons before that when we struggled. But on the whole, dont sack him, dont offer a new contract untill e have got out of the 'Blip' in current from. Look again in new year.
mattyboi
Robin wrote:Right there seems to be a growing group calling for his sacking and threatening to boycott games. Where do you all stand?

Agree with most of this, apart from bringing in an experianced coach. With what money? Plus it would totally undermine our current staff, did we need an experianced coach the last 2 seasons, or seasons before that when we struggled. But on the whole, dont sack him, dont offer a new contract untill e have got out of the 'Blip' in current from. Look again in new year.
Horteng
C.V wrote:I to don't want him sacked but l do want a vast improvement
Likewise....... And he needs to change his attitude which to be fair I think he is doing slowly......
Uppy
I think that a lot of it is how he portrays himself. If he was coming across well then people would be saying to give him more time, but a lot of the time it is as if the interviews are a waste of his time.

I want him to stay personally, although he hasn't developed as a manager as much as I would have liked. We've got to the play-offs in the last two years on the strength of his recruitment, rather than his management. He still appears a little naive tactically and repeats mistakes.
Benctfc
Give it 5 more games imo if we fail to pick up at least 2 wins in our next 5 games then i will start having my doubts all i know is i will be backing the players come 3pm Saturday.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Don't sack.

Keep the faith.

COYR.
confused.com
My view is anyone who wants that is talking bollox. On top of that, they have very short term memories.
Alf
Ask the same question at the end of December.
confused.com
I blame EA Sports myself, it is all in the game and they have developed a tribe of fecking expert FiFA affiliated managers
tunnelvision
That UEFA course in Turkey looks like money well spent! :roll:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:My view is anyone who wants that is talking bollox. On top of that, they have very short term memories.
Quite. One of the unsavoury aspects of the modern game is moron fans.
Benctfc
Thing is if Yates turns things around all the people calling for Yates out on this forum will go quiet... The way he helped progress the club over the last couple of seasons alone means he deserves a fair chance to turn things around. If say after another 5-10 games and we are still near the bottom then start worrying.
leohoenig
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
confused.com wrote:My view is anyone who wants that is talking bollox. On top of that, they have very short term memories.
My problem is that I am not certain which post confused.com refers to - so I am as confused as the website is name reflects. I have Go Compared the previous posts, but he could be referring to any of them. I do not have time to Compare the Meerkat of his previous postings, as I need to Travel to a Supermarket.

We have had bad runs in every season of Yates' reign. I have not called for his sacking during any of these.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
leohoenig wrote:
My problem is that I am not certain which post confused.com refers to - so I am as confused as the website is name reflects. I have Go Compared the previous posts, but he could be referring to any of them. I do not have time to Compare the Meerkat of his previous postings, as I need to Travel to a Supermarket.

We have had bad runs in every season of Yates' reign. I have not called for his sacking during any of these.
Confused is talking about the people who want Yates out I believe - people I have labelled morons.
Joey
Football fans suffer from this idea that football is very simple and easy. As is said about most of our squad, if they were consistently at their best then they wouldn't be in this league and the same applies to MY. Like with Cotterill and Ward, a bigger club would have taken him if he were able to breeze us to promotion.

It's not how you start, it's how you finish.
51/84
Yates has to be backed
SC said 3 years. OK hes had a bit more but I believe he has met virtually all that was expected and in some areas exceeded. Lets destroy the last 3 years which on the whole has been good. Improved every season.
If there are problems its that he has built expectations remember the going up at Spurs.

12 month rolling contract please will suit all I imagine.
In interviews just tell it as it is
confused.com
leohoenig wrote:

Au Contraire as suggested I was nailing my colours to the mast
triggo
Oh ye of little faith.
Look at the personnel we have in the team now.
No worries
Robin
triggo wrote:Oh ye of little faith.
No worries
I think that is part of the problem, people see the team and get further frustrated we are doing so poorly so naturally point their finger at the manager.
Ralph
thank god some of you are not PB or we'd be up the creek without a paddle right now.. talk about kneejerk reactions. Its the 4of September!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
triggo wrote:Oh ye of little faith.
No worries
I think that is part of the problem, people see the team and get further frustrated we are doing so poorly so naturally point their finger at the manager.
Not everyone had the belief our squad was that good - I recall at least one saying wait for 22 players with competition for every place before judging....

We still have 21, three of which only for a month, and only one left-back...
QED
The time to judge Yates is some time in the new year, when it should be apparent whether or not we can still challenge for the top 7. It's not as though we haven't been here before either - back when we went up under Cotterill in 01/02, we were down in 22nd after six games with no wins and the second-worst defence in the division. We stuttered through to the hammering by Oxford in November, but then everything clicked and we went 16 games unbeaten until mid-March. You can't win or lose the league in September.
vcinthestand
Not happy but worse things happen

Yates sometimes does not help himself

I believe that Yates will sort things out but it is a 46 game season, so we have a long time to go
Looking at the players we should /could do better, but we have had virtually no injuries for 2 seasons and now more than those put together.
MY has gambled with a low squad number so its upto him to get it sorted
I know we have no divine right to be in a certain position but I think we will show improvement by not panickinga nd also get our injured players back
If CBB had not been injured would there have been such an outcry over Jones

I believe Yates is the man to sort it
Nesty
51/84 wrote:Yates has to be backed
SC said 3 years. OK hes had a bit more but I believe he has met virtually all that was expected and in some areas exceeded. Lets destroy the last 3 years which on the whole has been good. Improved every season.
If there are problems its that he has built expectations remember the going up at Spurs.

12 month rolling contract please will suit all I imagine.
In interviews just tell it as it is
really ??
Si Robin
I believe 5th is higher than 6th, so yes we improved last season on the season before.
Nesty
Si Robin wrote:I believe 5th is higher than 6th, so yes we improved last season on the season before.
ok... but the season before we got to the play off final, played decent football ...
bigdavejambo
I still believe there should have been a 'parting of ways' in the summer as he has failed the last 2 seasons with probably the best squads this club will ever be able to afford to assemble. I DO beleive he should look as HIS failings after a defeat/poor performance instead of blaming the fans who pay his wages and ultimately build his budget that Mr Baker allows him.
Si Robin
I believe you're wrong. I believe he didn't fail, he succeeded in getting us to the lottery of the playoffs for second year running when teams have been known to implode after a playoff defeat (Grimsby and Swindon to name two recent examples).

Unfortunately we were poor in the 1st leg and unlucky to have a penalty saved, concede a wonder goal and do all but score in the 2nd leg, including a header that if the posts hadn't been taken down would still have the bar wobbling today.

Not only that, but who was it who built those squads for those two years? He has far from failed and with the League season only 5 games old it is far too early to tell if he is failing yet this season.
Nesty
bigdavejambo wrote:I still believe there should have been a 'parting of ways' in the summer as he has failed the last 2 seasons with probably the best squads this club will ever be able to afford to assemble. I DO beleive he should look as HIS failings after a defeat/poor performance instead of blaming the fans who pay his wages and ultimately build his budget that Mr Baker allows him.
very true.........

If I may, I would like to try to sum up what people are unhappy about, and intersperse them with my own thoughts........

Many of the players he has signed over the last few seasons show promise but there is no onward improvement. Yates can sign a good player, but the art of management is getting the best out of them and make them into better players (Brian Clough was a prime example of someone who could mold a team and get every player playing to their strengths - so if the left winger likes ball to his left foot - then ffs put it there!).

We have made a sticky start, but the fixtures have not been kind, and we have had injuries (something we have not had much of for the last two seasons), and if it was just all about results then I dont think many people would be too unhappy, and would be waiting another 5 or 10 games, but there are clearly other issues at the club, so soon into the season we have had Jones, Taylor and Harrison making waves. There does not seem to be the same team spirit, far too many players are under performing.

There is the risk that gates will fall, but that will be cushioned for the next 2 homes games by the hordes of travelling fans that will keep the cash register ticking. But long term ??

As MH says in his blog - I think PB needs to think before offering an extended deal. I am not for sacking Yates yet (or at all if he can turn it round).

And if we can turn it round, nobody will be as chuffed as I am
Hubert Parry
I agree with Robin's assessment, although MY is annoying me increasingly.
51/84
I was away for the Kiddy friendly but I can remeber Yates being unhappy and the Byron sorting of saying his head was not in the right place
When or how did Harrison make waves
Taylor and Jones asking for transfers - we have crawled over it now. Jones claims he didnt.
misommunications who knows?
Flux
Totally agree that there is no point getting rid of MY now, it will just completely destroy an already fragile team spirit. Its clear there are issues both on and off the pitch with both players and staff and rumblings of unrest in the dressing room.

Yes there are odd things happening such as 2 perfectly good strikers effectively being frozen out when they are needed most and an experienced player capable of a job who just seems to suddenly become surplus to requirements when numbers are low.

After what he has done in the last 2 seasons he deserves at least until Christmas to plot our way out of the problems we find ourselves in now. When he came in we were heading down the road to ruin and the graveyard of the Conference. He steadied a sinking ship and then against all odds somehow masterminded a trip to Wembley and nearly did it again last season.

When he came in I wasn't overly impressed and thought we could have got better but Paul Baker put his faith in MY and it has to date proved well placed. Yes he has an eye for a player and has picked up some gems there hasn't been many dodgy incoming transfers from him, yes he can be tactically naive and often lacks a plan b or c and the way he comes over when interviewed annoys the hell out of a lot of people he just seems so monotone and uninterested in the interview (at least the 'we will watch the DVD' answers have gone now though) there is just never seems to be any fun or much positivity from him in interviews.

With his contract talks due I would go along the lines of delaying for a few weeks let him and the staff get something sorted out within the team and build that lost team spirit back do whatever it takes if theres bad egg's in the squad weed them out and if need be get rid (hard to do now and with the squad so thin almost impossible without back ups coming in). When things have settled and things improve around the club then talk I'm in favour of a rolling contract with incentives of early extensions if x or y target is met.
art vandalay
Yates has done a good job overall in his 3.5 years. Yes, we've started poorly but he should be given the chance to correct this, as I suspect most of us would in our day-to-day jobs.

I've been impressed with his recruitment of players in his time here. Less so with others aspects of the job. We seem to pay-off rather too many of our players, some having been cold-shouldered only a few months after they've signed a renewed contract. And sometimes his recruitment seems to be at odds with what is actually needed in terms of building a coherent team eg signing Carter when we had Pack, signing Harrad and then playing 4-5-1. We'll have to see if the signing of Noble, another central midfielder, is actually what we need but my initial thought is that it has a touch of the Bobby Goulds about it.