Return of the Pink Un

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Sp ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Flux
Brilliant just had a clear up in my parents loft and came across a few issues
leohoenig
Gosh - newspaper in prints news shock
taxidave
I look forward to reading Spartan's column.
everyman
taxidave wrote:I look forward to reading Spartan's column.
Derek has never stopped" espousing ",about his former wife.
Malabus
Pretty sure the paper was available about an hour after the final whistle on a Saturday.
C.V
Malabus wrote:Pretty sure the paper was available about an hour after the final whistle on a Saturday.

Correct used to pick one up from the newsagent at Pitville gates on the way home after having a refreshment stop in the club after the game
Nesty
everyman wrote:
Does he still live in his shed?
Malabus
C.V wrote:
Malabus wrote:Pretty sure the paper was available about an hour after the final whistle on a Saturday.

Correct used to pick one up from the newsagent at Pitville gates on the way home after having a refreshment stop in the club after the game
That's was the value of the paper: convenient source for all the final scores on the day. Then the internet was introduced to more homes and the paper wasn't really needed by many; hence the reason (I suppose?) the end of the publication. I really don't see the point issuing this paper on a Monday, unless you require news on local park soccer/rugby in the area.
Nesty
I couldnt work out if it is a "free supplement" or you have to buy it.
If it is a supplement then it will surely merely replace the normal back and inside back pages
taxidave
That's was the value of the paper: convenient source for all the final scores on the day.
I agree but nowadays unless you have access to the internet there is no way of finding out all the results and even the internet does not give you a web page that contains a whole league's results, scorers and attendances like you can obtain in the newspaper.
51/84
you can recycle it , put fish and chips in ( not H&S approved) use it to light the fire etc
but the internet saves trees

by the way isnt this in the wrong site
Nesty
51/84 wrote:you can recycle it , put fish and chips in ( not H&S approved) use it to light the fire etc

why? it will no doubt (to Neil's disgust) usually feature CTFC quite heavily
Ralph
Nesty wrote:
everyman wrote:
Goddard? I thought he'd died :?
Old Coventrian
Nesty wrote:
everyman wrote:
I thought he lived in the bar at the Bayshill Tavern
triggo
Used to know the Landlord's daughter there.
I'm talking 30 years plus ago.
taxidave
Ralph wrote: Goddard? I thought he'd died :?
If you saw him now you probably would think he had, he has certainly aged in the last few months.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
taxidave wrote:
That's was the value of the paper: convenient source for all the final scores on the day.
I agree but nowadays unless you have access to the internet there is no way of finding out all the results and even the internet does not give you a web page that contains a whole league's results, scorers and attendances like you can obtain in the newspaper.
Agree completely. All the main league tables printed as well of course.
everyman
triggo wrote:Used to know the Landlord's daughter there.
I'm talking 30 years plus ago.
Christine ,very attractive girl !!!
Neil
Nesty wrote:
51/84 wrote:you can recycle it , put fish and chips in ( not H&S approved) use it to light the fire etc

why? it will no doubt (to Neil's disgust) usually feature CTFC quite heavily
If it's a joint effort between the Citizen and the Echo and appears identically in both papers then it won't be to my disgust. I just feel that Cheltenham Town FC has no place in the Citizen, as much as Gloucester RFC has none in the Echo, after all you don't get Gloucester news in the front of Cheltenham's paper, putting rivalries aside surely you can understand this?

And sniping aside, will you be making any contribution Nesty? I will, as one of the best football photographers at their disposal you can look forward to enjoying my talents :)
leohoenig
I do disagree with you there, Neil. There are Cheltenham Town supporters in Gloucester, and Gloucester Rugby supporters in Cheltenham. There are also quite a few people in the area who have an interest in both teams, visiting both from time to time. To appeal to everyone, the papers have to cover both.
Neil
No they don't, they are sister papers, not from competing organisations. If you want Cheltenham news and Gloucester sport, you buy both papers. They get double the money then. Simple economics.
Malabus
Again, Neil proves he knows nothing about local sport.
Brockworth/Barnwood yesterday morning ALL RUBY+WHITE...
Neil
Malabus wrote:Again, Neil proves he knows nothing about local sport.
That was Cherry and White you tit.
Malabus
Neil wrote:
Malabus wrote:Again, Neil proves he knows nothing about local sport.
That was Cherry and White you tit.

Didnt realise they were sponsored by MIRA too...wake up Neil the county hates fecking AFC Gloucester City.
taxidave
Well what did everyone think of the new Pink Un.
I slightly larger version of the normal sports section of the Echo plus a few reports from the Forest and Stroud areas that are not normally covered.
Front page rugby picture
Pages 2 & 3 Robins report and pictures.
Page 4 FGR report & picture
Page 5 Gloucester report & picture + report on Brimscombe !!
Page 6 + 7 Reports and pictures on Cleeve, Ciren, Cinderford and Fairford
Page 8 & 9 Gloucester rugby
Page 10 + 11 Local rugby
Page 12 + 13 More rugby
Page 14 + 15 Even more rugby
Page 16 Results and pictures.
So if you like reading about rugby it is a worth purchasing the Echo but if football is your interest don't bother.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
taxidave wrote:Well what did everyone think of the new Pink Un.
I slightly larger version of the normal sports section of the Echo plus a few reports from the Forest and Stroud areas that are not normally covered.
Front page rugby picture
Pages 2 & 3 Robins report and pictures.
Page 4 FGR report & picture
Page 5 Gloucester report & picture + report on Brimscombe !!
Page 6 + 7 Reports and pictures on Cleeve, Ciren, Cinderford and Fairford
Page 8 & 9 Gloucester rugby
Page 10 + 11 Local rugby
Page 12 + 13 More rugby
Page 14 + 15 Even more rugby
Page 16 Results and pictures.
So if you like reading about rugby it is a worth purchasing the Echo but if football is your interest don't bother.
Based on what you have said above I make that seven pages of football and eight pages of rugby (unless P. 16 is exclusively rugby and counting front page).

Surely an almost 50/50 split is pretty good considering many more people go to watch the best local rugby side than the best local football side.
taxidave
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:[Based on what you have said above I make that seven pages of football and eight pages of rugby (unless P. 16 is exclusively rugby and counting front page).

Surely an almost 50/50 split is pretty good considering many more people go to watch the best local rugby side than the best local football side.
But other than Gloucester rugby how many people watch the local sides compared to local football. I know that most lower league rugby clubs do not even have any decent spectator facilities, Old Pats for instance play on a public rec and Cheltenham have one small stand and the rest is just a grass bank.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
taxidave wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:[Based on what you have said above I make that seven pages of football and eight pages of rugby (unless P. 16 is exclusively rugby and counting front page).

But other than Gloucester rugby how many people watch the local sides compared to local football. I know that most lower league rugby clubs do not even have any decent spectator facilities, Old Pats for instance play on a public rec and Cheltenham have one small stand and the rest is just a grass bank.
Very true. I have no idea how many rugby clubs like Lydney and Cinderford get.

Not many judging by this: http://cinderfordrfc.co.uk/match/518/?pid=966" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
taxidave
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: Very true. I have no idea how many rugby clubs like Lydney and Cinderford get.
Not many judging by this: http://cinderfordrfc.co.uk/match/518/?pid=966" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cinderford are one of the biggest clubs in the country and play in what must be the equivalent of football's League 1 and yet there were probably more people on the pitch than fans on the touchline.
From their website....
Cinderford RFC is one of the top 40 clubs in the UK and the second largest club in Gloucestershire, behind Gloucester RFC. Cinderford plays its rugby in National Division One, with 15 other club affilaited sides competing weekly in a variety of leagues.
The spelling isn't very good either or perhaps it is Forest talk. :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ha.
cakeboyslim
Well if they are thinking about selling this in future I wouldnt buy it but there again I dont like rugby.
The thing that gets me is in Fridays echo they mention that Saracens were playing in the FA Vase against Hook Norton who is managed by the legend that is Sir Mark Boyland and this fails to get a single mention not even on the results page!!!!!

Whilst I am talking about the Echo has anyone else noticed the headline they use on the back page of the weekend echo makes me cringe........a few weeks ago it was something like Brown thinks its time for a clean sheet and we lose 3-1, last weekend was Elliot ready to face pompey and we all know what he did or didnt do against them..
I'll get me coat
Cake