Officials the talk of the town yet again...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
Especially the lines person who ruled out a perfectly ONSIDE goal in the dying seconds.
R_Payney
I was right in line and it was very close. Shame but happy to steal a point in the end.
Malabus
Time wasting during the Pompey substitutes and keeper Sullivan was a disgrace and the referee did absolutely nothing, not even a quick chat to hurry up the players and when Yates complained he got a mouthful.
RED ROB
Thought Steve Elliott had his ankle clipped for the first goal too.
Happy with the point.
Old Coventrian
Malabus wrote:Especially the lines person who ruled out a perfectly ONSIDE goal in the dying seconds.
He also flagged a clearly onside Jermaine off when their CH was prone in the box
Old Coventrian
Malabus wrote:Especially the lines person who ruled out a perfectly ONSIDE goal in the dying seconds.
He also flagged a clearly onside Jermaine off when their CH was prone in the box
Old Coventrian
Also incorrectly Jermaine off when their CB was prone in the box.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Old Coventrian wrote:
Also incorrectly Jermaine off when their CB was prone in the box.
Yup wanted to stop the game. I thought it was a head injury anyway so ref should have stopped it sooner.
Robin
A head injury from heading the ball, if they stop the game for those then players will abuse it!
51/84
why only 5 minutes, 5 subs several injuries and time wasting of a grand fashion and we get 5 minutes
RTT
If I remember correctly, listening to Graham Poll on the radio once, that each sub is 15 secs and a goal is 30 sec. So for the second half that is 1min 15sec; the goal was scored in the added time and so the added time would be extended for that.

I was a little surprised that the the Pompey forward, who was last substituted, didn't receive a yellow card for the amount of time he took to leave the field. Perhaps he thought he was too good to be substituted and didn't look at the board or listen to the announcement; Jim had to announce it twice.
RTT
Robin wrote:A head injury from heading the ball, if they stop the game for those then players will abuse it!
If a player is on the floor with an apparent head injury (the ref is not a medical person) he has to stop play. If it turns out to be a 'con' by the player then he should be booked and time added on.
51/84
the triple substitution cost them at least a point and could have been more.
As the ref had played on how could McGlashan have been offside
Also if the keeper took the free kick where the offside was then it must have been Elliot who was offside as it was halfway up the park
taxidave
Portsmouth substitutions took 3 minutes to achieve.
Malabus
30 seconds is added on per substitution. Official rules.
Admin
Site Administrator
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20159223" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

interesting reading from a BBC article last year regarding time added on.
taxidave
Malabus wrote:30 seconds is added on per substitution. Official rules.
I thought the ref was in charge of the game not the "official rules".
rasta
"official rules".

Laws not rules....
leohoenig
But as the BBC article states, 30 seconds per sub is a guidline, not an official rule, nor in the laws. To quote, "But if a player is doddering, meandering, then extra time can be added.". The referee deserves credit for getting this right on Saturday. The fourth official was poor, in delaying the board for the second and third substitutions until the previous one had been made.
The third player to come off was Patrick Agyemang and he came off quite normally, the other two caused the delays

As for the offside goal, the only person in the universe with a clearer view than the linesman was probably Malabus.
RTT
I would have thought that people in block one would have the best view, not those behind the goal who are ninety degrees to the "offside" line
leohoenig
Yes, but you are not being sarcastic. :!:

And while those in block one may have had a good view, the linesman was in their way!!
confused.com
This all assumes that the linesman has the ability to stay in line with the last man. From my vantage point in block 3 I often see them make a decision on an off side when they are stood in front of me and the last man is at least 10 yards further down the pitch
Malabus
RTT wrote:I would have thought that people in block one would have the best view, not those behind the goal who are ninety degrees to the "offside" line
I moved to the side ready to leave and I was in line to have the best view in the stadium. So you were you incorrect in you presumption and indication that I was located behind the goal.
RTT
Malabus wrote:
RTT wrote:I would have thought that people in block one would have the best view, not those behind the goal who are ninety degrees to the "offside" line
I moved to the side ready to leave and I was in line to have the best view in the stadium. So you were you incorrect in you presumption and indication that I was located behind the goal.
I apologise, but I was not really making assumptions,
RTT
leohoenig wrote:Yes, but you are not being sarcastic. :!:
I do not understand you remark, please elaborate.
taxidave
RTT wrote:
leohoenig wrote:Yes, but you are not being sarcastic. :!:
I do not understand you remark, please elaborate.
Oh dear !!!
Leo said......
As for the offside goal, the only person in the universe with a clearer view than the linesman was probably Malabus.
I suggest you begin to understand when people are being sarcastic because it happens a lot on this forum.
thetonga
The goal was definitely offside.
Joey
thetonga wrote:The goal was definitely offside.
Gornell was being played onside by their number 21 when Harrison played the ball.
Admin
Site Administrator
It doesnt matter who was where..the goal was offside as the flag went up and the whistle went - not a lot can be done about it now ;) :)
thetonga
I don't want to be dragged into an argument about it but I was dead level in block one, Gornell definitely strayed a yard offside and well the only person that matters shared that view. We were lucky to get a point from the game, we should be grateful for that before claiming we were robbed!
Si Robin
This is just as Harrison plays the ball through. Using the 6 yard line, Gornell looks a yard off.

Malabus
Si Robin wrote:This is just as Harrison plays the ball through. Using the 6 yard line, Gornell looks a yard off.

Looks level to me, Simon, just as I seen in real time. The player nearest to Gornell is level and playing him on side.
Guess Its too tight to call and the lines person most likely got it wrong, but he's only human and errors will be made. Take it on the chin and move on again.