so far, so good

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

mattyboi
In terms of our average league home attendance, around the 3800 mark after Burton, Plymouth and Portsmouth. Sure to rise a bit more after Saturday.
Nesty
and fall again when teams like Accrington come to town...........
Robin
All gates so far have been very poor to be honest. Plymouth would have seen a crowd of over 5000 not long ago and Pompey close to a sell out.
taxidave
Nesty wrote:and fall again when teams like Accrington come to town...........
Or when "fans" like you decide to boycott games. :(
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:All gates so far have been very poor to be honest. Plymouth would have seen a crowd of over 5000 not long ago and Pompey close to a sell out.
When have we ever come close to a sell-out in League Two?

Biggest I can remember is Oxford when we won to secure our play-off place.

Leeds the closet we've had in the league, but that was a) Leeds, and b) League One.
mattyboi
Robin wrote:All gates so far have been very poor to be honest. Plymouth would have seen a crowd of over 5000 not long ago and Pompey close to a sell out.
They may have been poor, when you compare them to 5-10 seasons ago, but it is was it is, they are above what we have have budgeted for, so cant we just have a small bit of positivity on this board.
Nesty
taxidave wrote:
Nesty wrote:and fall again when teams like Accrington come to town...........
Or when "fans" like you decide to boycott games. :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
confused.com
positivity - We may not be world beaters, or even a top 7 team in the league. However, I have yet to see anything at ABS since my first match in 1986, to even make me contemplate not going along to the next match. I am an adopted resident of Cheltenham, but am very proud of CTFC, what they have achieved and how they portray themselves as a club. With a bit of good fortune we can move on to bigger things. In the meantime I shall enjoy the experience of League football, playing and beating teams in a league match we would only have dreamed of playing (and no it is not little old Cheltenham, just a fact), a few years ago. As long as the squad put in the effort, we should get behind every single one of them and accept they are League 2 players for a reason. If they are prepared to play out of position for the good of the team, give them credit for that instead of lambasting them. This board is full of constant complainers and moaners who seem to do it for no obvious reason. Cut the guys some slack, if they give their best and it is not good enough, that is just a fact of life. If any league 2 team could afford a better squad, they would be buying whoever they wanted. Like us, you have the squad you can afford. Accept that, support them and enjoy the ride
C.V
^^^ Obviously another who never read Paul Bakers notes in the programe on Saturday ^^He certainley doesnt share your view
confused.com
C.V wrote:^^^ Obviously another who never read Paul Bakers notes in the programe on Saturday ^^He certainley doesnt share your view
Pray tell me what view (s) he does not agree with. is it:-

1. We don't have a club we can be proud of
2, we should not be proud of what we have achieved
3. We do not portray ourselves in a good way
4. We can afford better players but have not bought them
5. we should not get behind the team
6. If the put in the effort we should not show our support
7. If they are basically outclassed but not through lack of application we should not appreciate that fact
I am shocked that PB should be against any of these ! Copies where all sold out when I arrived on Saturday, but would be very interested if you could supply the text where he says otherwise
C.V
A snippet the last post in this thread

http://www.robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewto ... 8&start=35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
confused.com
C.V wrote:A snippet the last post in this thread

http://www.robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewto ... 8&start=35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Read it and can see nothing that would say my post has anything that was contrary to what you have provided as an example of the comments in the program. Assuming you can read a comment without prejudice, I do say as long as a player is giving his best we should get behind him. Nobody is saying that anyone is beyond improvement, however it is a fact that players who can give 100% every match in effort AND execution. Will I would suggest be playing at a higher standard. I have never seen a match at ABS where any of the 22 players on the pitch have delivered a flawless performance. I would guess that PB is eluding to the 'below par, minimal effort' we saw at Plymouth and Bury.
C.V
Oh dear if you can't see what he is saying then l give up.He says the players havent been giving !00% effort or execution and l agree thats why the fans are so unhappy.I dont want to go to see players just going through the motions there has as Mr Baker says been a distinct lack of effort.If the Chairman comes out with statments like that then there clearly is cause for concern
Nesty
C.V wrote:Oh dear if you can't see what he is saying then l give up.He says the players havent been giving !00% effort or execution and l agree thats why the fans are so unhappy.I dont want to go to see players just going through the motions there has as Mr Baker says been a distinct lack of effort.If the Chairman comes out with statments like that then there clearly is cause for concern

indeed. but again I say it should be Yates kicking backsides and not the Chairman.
confused.com
C.V wrote:Oh dear if you can't see what he is saying then l give up.He says the players havent been giving !00% effort or execution and l agree thats why the fans are so unhappy.I dont want to go to see players just going through the motions there has as Mr Baker says been a distinct lack of effort.If the Chairman comes out with statments like that then there clearly is cause for concern
Oh dear and where did I say it was ok or acceptable for players not to give 100%, obviously you have trouble in reading what I said
C.V
You seem to think they are the Chairman doesnt simples
confused.com
C.V wrote:You seem to think they are the Chairman doesnt simples
"As long as the squad put in the effort, we should get behind every single one of them and accept they are League 2 players for a reason" what I said - simples
C.V
That is exactley the point they havent been putting in the effort otherwise Mr Baker wouldnt have said it :roll:
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
When have we ever come close to a sell-out in League Two?

Biggest I can remember is Oxford when we won to secure our play-off place.

Leeds the closet we've had in the league, but that was a) Leeds, and b) League One.
Excluding play-offs Oxford, Hull, Bristol Rovers have all had 6000+ in this league, Hudds was not far off it too when they needed to win promotion.
confused.com
C.V wrote:That is exactley the point they havent been putting in the effort otherwise Mr Baker wouldnt have said it :roll:
never said they where I said if they do, we should get behind them but should not expect perfection
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:
C.V wrote:That is exactley the point they havent been putting in the effort otherwise Mr Baker wouldnt have said it :roll:
never said they where I said if they do, we should get behind them but should not expect perfection
Bang your head against the wall a few more times, it really does help.
Reliant Robin
confused.com wrote:positivity - We may not be world beaters, or even a top 7 team in the league. However, I have yet to see anything at ABS since my first match in 1986, to even make me contemplate not going along to the next match. I am an adopted resident of Cheltenham, but am very proud of CTFC, what they have achieved and how they portray themselves as a club. With a bit of good fortune we can move on to bigger things. In the meantime I shall enjoy the experience of League football, playing and beating teams in a league match we would only have dreamed of playing (and no it is not little old Cheltenham, just a fact), a few years ago. As long as the squad put in the effort, we should get behind every single one of them and accept they are League 2 players for a reason. If they are prepared to play out of position for the good of the team, give them credit for that instead of lambasting them. This board is full of constant complainers and moaners who seem to do it for no obvious reason. Cut the guys some slack, if they give their best and it is not good enough, that is just a fact of life. If any league 2 team could afford a better squad, they would be buying whoever they wanted. Like us, you have the squad you can afford. Accept that, support them and enjoy the ride
Totally agree with you c.c & just like you, I'm an adopted resident of the Town. Sometime in the very distant future (hopefully), Cheltonian's will wake up and realise what they had here when it's all gone. They should appreciate it, support it, invest in it (by turning up) & enjoy it. Yes there are highs and lows, but that's football. Spurs, Everton & West Ham in full blooded competitive games in the last couple of years - who'd have dared to dream that a few short years ago?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Reliant Robin wrote:
confused.com wrote:positivity - We may not be world beaters, or even a top 7 team in the league. However, I have yet to see anything at ABS since my first match in 1986, to even make me contemplate not going along to the next match. I am an adopted resident of Cheltenham, but am very proud of CTFC, what they have achieved and how they portray themselves as a club. With a bit of good fortune we can move on to bigger things. In the meantime I shall enjoy the experience of League football, playing and beating teams in a league match we would only have dreamed of playing (and no it is not little old Cheltenham, just a fact), a few years ago. As long as the squad put in the effort, we should get behind every single one of them and accept they are League 2 players for a reason. If they are prepared to play out of position for the good of the team, give them credit for that instead of lambasting them. This board is full of constant complainers and moaners who seem to do it for no obvious reason. Cut the guys some slack, if they give their best and it is not good enough, that is just a fact of life. If any league 2 team could afford a better squad, they would be buying whoever they wanted. Like us, you have the squad you can afford. Accept that, support them and enjoy the ride
Totally agree with you c.c & just like you, I'm an adopted resident of the Town. Sometime in the very distant future (hopefully), Cheltonian's will wake up and realise what they had here when it's all gone. They should appreciate it, support it, invest in it (by turning up) & enjoy it. Yes there are highs and lows, but that's football. Spurs, Everton & West Ham in full blooded competitive games in the last couple of years - who'd have dared to dream that a few short years ago?
I do wonder, had Gloucester beaten Salisbury (God Bless), or Gresley had a proper ground and we never got promoted, and were just happily languishing in the conference south, would so many fans be so critical of everything and slagging off players and managers in such OTT ways?

Were people happier when times were worse?

Apart from the Bournemouth game I don't have any knowledge of supporting CTFC prior to 1996, but it does seem that the higher the level we reach, the faster the fans turn on the boos and stop coming. Yes there have always been dire games (home vs Hereford in 98/99 I recall being very angry at) but they did not seem to provoke the hysterics and vitriol we get today.

What is it about success that makes fans (some of whom seem to have enjoyed decades of no success at all until our rise) less tolerant?
taxidave
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: Were people happier when times were worse?
What is it about success that makes fans (some of whom seem to have enjoyed decades of no success at all until our rise) less tolerant?
I don't think it is a question of being happier, more as you say, of being more tolerant in those days because until we became a member of the football league we were a small club quietly ambling along at a non league level, but when we got promoted things changed, most dramatic of which was the fact that all our players were now full time and being paid a decent living wage for doing a job that they loved and had been doing between full time day jobs before.
When you are full time professional footballers then the level of expectation vastly increases from the fans also the cost of watching those same players goes up plus the level of tolerance for their mistakes goes down.
By the way I do not believe it is just the older fans who are less tolerant, I am sure a lot of the younger fans, who have been brought up on a diet of Premier League football on the tv, expect a lot more from our players as well.
Si Robin
I know of people who were happier when we were a non-league team.

Unfortunately, success breeds expectation. When Yates came in we were happy to survive in the League. The next season we had a great start and a disastrous second half of the season, there were people who wanted him gone then whilst we were on that awful run. Instead, Baker supported him that summer and we went on to play Spurs at White Hart Lane (dream game for me) and reach the Playoff final (which some now refer to as a failure).

The other issue is that the vast majority of our support have only seen success, but for the Allen disaster. As such, they can't handle struggle, aren't interested in it, and unfortunately will drop the club like a stone and go back to whatever it was they did before they had a Football League team on their doorstep should the worst happen and we go down.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
taxidave wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: Were people happier when times were worse?
I don't think it is a question of being happier, more as you say, of being more tolerant in those days because until we became a member of the football league we were a small club quietly ambling along at a non league level, but when we got promoted things changed, most dramatic of which was the fact that all our players were now full time and being paid a decent living wage for doing a job that they loved and had been doing between full time day jobs before.
When you are full time professional footballers then the level of expectation vastly increases from the fans also the cost of watching those same players goes up plus the level of tolerance for their mistakes goes down.
By the way I do not believe it is just the older fans who are less tolerant, I am sure a lot of the younger fans, who have been brought up on a diet of Premier League football on the tv, expect a lot more from our players as well.
Young fans on PL diets is a good point Dave - a lot of kids are quick to say our players are 'useless' as we have seen on here.