Yates Up to Fifth.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

leohoenig
Greg Abbott gets the chop at Carlisle today.
He was third longest serving manager in the league behind Arsene Wgener (Sept 1996) and Paul Tisdale (June 2006). Chris Wilder (December 2008) and Nigel Clough (January 2009) are also ahead of Yates (December 2009).
...but can he move higher??

(Source: League Managers Association)
Robin
I can't see any of the above getting sacked before Yates so not unless there is a dramatic improvement in our form or Wenger decides to retire.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Interesting - who was the last man in the top 5 to win anything? Tisdale getting Exeter promoted I guess...

Is that in fact a list of 'who is the most stale?'
bigdavejambo
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Interesting - who was the last man in the top 5 to win anything? Tisdale getting Exeter promoted I guess...

Wilder won promotion from Conference with Oxford
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
bigdavejambo wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Interesting - who was the last man in the top 5 to win anything? Tisdale getting Exeter promoted I guess...

Wilder won promotion from Conference with Oxford
Oxford promotion May 2010, Exeter promotion May 2009 - you are correct.

If Oxford don't go up this year Wilder must be at risk after two years of underachievement.
Robin
How has Wilder underachieved given the financial issues they have?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:How has Wilder underachieved given the financial issues they have?
Despite such perils you have uncovered they still always have high-earning players. I was very surprised they didn't make the play-offs last season (let down by one bad run when Wilder bottled it).

Given their squad this season I'd be stunned if they do any worse than 7th and would expect Wilder to go if they do.
IYWT
A timely reminder to Mr Yates, that however comfortable you may feel, this is a results business and in the perilous world of football management you are never more than a few bad results from joining the dole queue.
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Despite such perils you have uncovered they still always have high-earning players. I was very surprised they didn't make the play-offs last season (let down by one bad run when Wilder bottled it).

Given their squad this season I'd be stunned if they do any worse than 7th and would expect Wilder to go if they do.
It's no secret their wage budget is in line of a club with average crowds of 4000 due to the money Kassam charges in stadium rent. Just google it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

It's no secret their wage budget is in line of a club with average crowds of 4000 due to the money Kassam charges in stadium rent. Just google it.
£1.2m p/a Google says. Same site says £1.3 for us.
Robin
That sounds like the right sort of ball park based upon my understanding.
leohoenig
can you get all 24 by google?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
leohoenig wrote:can you get all 24 by google?
Only Robin knows.
RobinHood
I think we would have to finish below 12th for Baker to pull the trigger, he tends to give his manager time, and Yates deserves a chance to turn things around after the successes of the last two seasons. Plus I don't really see anyone out if work know who I would think could do a better job.

Anyway Oxford look like they're going to be challenging at the top, and Exeter have had a good start, Clough hasn't really done a lot since he joined Derby, so could be feeling the pinch if they aren't challenging for the play offs.
51/84
I think it would have to be a lot worse than 12th to get the bullet

Okay say we end up somewhere between 10- 18 and someone comes in and takes Yates off our hands with a couple of months on his contract or he walks at the end of the season, I can just imagine why didnt we have him on a contract etc debate
We got a tidy sum for John Ward
C.V
Do you honestly think he would walk hes got one of the safest jobs in the League and he knows it.Can't really see anyone one further up the pyramid really showing an interest after all he hasn't won anything and that is not detrimental to wards him just the truth.