russ penn

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

ghandi
So yatesy gave penn the iceland treatment.Can't figure out why,he's been no worse then the rest.Pompey were extracting the urine in the 1st half,could have done with penn in midfield to stem the tide.i think most would agree that deerings best position is in the hole behind strikers,not left wing.Feel sorry for gillespie,we can't feed him a decent ball to do anything with!Harrison needs some jump leads on his b*****ks,show him a video of alsop playing,a fine example of how to lead the line.Apart from browny,the rest are a total shambles,and i don't believe yatesy has the man management or football know how to put it right.
51/84
so you are saying sack the manager then ghandi
3.5 yrs up the spout
get real
who do you want as manager
Robin
I don't advocate sacking Yates (yet) but how is it three and half years up the spout? We have made steady progress in that time. The only questions are can Yates continue to improve us and can we find someone who can.
ghandi
51/84,me,you,paul baker & and all other fans want to see us promoted.yatesy has had this well within his reach in the last two seasons,but continual bad decision making with team selection & tactics has cost us dearly.it's all very cosy & family with yatesy in charge,but if paul baker has the vision & ambition to get into div 1,he needs to consider whether he has the right man as manager
C.V
Brick wall seems to be the in words at the moment
rasta
Go in the paddock and watch them all swearing and giving it to each other, then you will realise why some people are dropped, and that's just the Dug out!
C.V
Yes l did note someone posted about the language at the ground last week.Mark Yates was using the "F" word a lot on Saturday and at the top of his voice.
confused.com
ghandi wrote:So yatesy gave penn the iceland treatment.Can't figure out why,he's been no worse then the rest.Pompey were extracting the urine in the 1st half,could have done with penn in midfield to stem the tide.i think most would agree that deerings best position is in the hole behind strikers,not left wing.Feel sorry for gillespie,we can't feed him a decent ball to do anything with!Harrison needs some jump leads on his b*****ks,show him a video of alsop playing,a fine example of how to lead the line.Apart from browny,the rest are a total shambles,and i don't believe yatesy has the man management or football know how to put it right.
Shocked to read that from you Ghandi, you are usually much more anti everybody than that !
Joey
I can't be the only one wondering what the bloody hell I just read?
Nesty
rasta wrote:Go in the paddock and watch them all swearing and giving it to each other, then you will realise why some people are dropped, and that's just the Dug out!
doesnt sound like a happy ship does it!!
Si Robin
ghandi wrote:51/84,me,you,paul baker & and all other fans want to see us promoted.yatesy has had this well within his reach in the last two seasons,but continual bad decision making with team selection & tactics has cost us dearly.it's all very cosy & family with yatesy in charge,but if paul baker has the vision & ambition to get into div 1,he needs to consider whether he has the right man as manager
Forgive my naivety on this one, I've never managed a football club or been a chairman. But I am sure that it was because of Mark Yates and his ability to get the right players in and get them playing as a unit that had promotion well within reach.

We lost a playoff final to a Crewe team who were sailing the crest of a wave and we were somewhat unlucky in the 2nd leg against Northampton last season (having won we'd have met a Bradford team in the same form as Crewe the year before).

All Baker needs to consider at the moment is if Yates has got the ability to turn a disappointing start into a good season, and how long he should give him to turn it around. In my opinion he should have until at least Christmas.

A mid-table season is not a crisis either, it will merely be a disappointment.
triggo
ah
the voice of reason - a faint cry is all but stifled in the crescendo of the bedlam !
confused.com
Si Robin wrote:
ghandi wrote:51/84,me,you,paul baker & and all other fans want to see us promoted.yatesy has had this well within his reach in the last two seasons,but continual bad decision making with team selection & tactics has cost us dearly.it's all very cosy & family with yatesy in charge,but if paul baker has the vision & ambition to get into div 1,he needs to consider whether he has the right man as manager
Forgive my naivety on this one, I've never managed a football club or been a chairman. But I am sure that it was because of Mark Yates and his ability to get the right players in and get them playing as a unit that had promotion well within reach.

We lost a playoff final to a Crewe team who were sailing the crest of a wave and we were somewhat unlucky in the 2nd leg against Northampton last season (having won we'd have met a Bradford team in the same form as Crewe the year before).

All Baker needs to consider at the moment is if Yates has got the ability to turn a disappointing start into a good season, and how long he should give him to turn it around. In my opinion he should have until at least Christmas.

Hope you are not attempting to devalue Ghandi's experience not only in FIFA 2011 but also 2012 which has seen him not only get to a top 3 finish in the league, but also having considerable success in Europe.
It is this kind of experience that gives him / her a greater insight into the cut and thrust of football management, than any of us. It is only too easy for us to sit in our armchairs and pass comment on MY. However until you have felt the white heat in the Bernabeu (or similar), it is probably best you do not comment, but rather, leave serious comment to those that have.
Daveangel
confused.com wrote:
Si Robin wrote:

Hope you are not attempting to devalue Ghandi's experience not only in FIFA 2011 but also 2012 which has seen him not only get to a top 3 finish in the league, but also having considerable success in Europe.
It is this kind of experience that gives him / her a greater insight into the cut and thrust of football management, than any of us. It is only too easy for us to sit in our armchairs and pass comment on MY. However until you have felt the white heat in the Bernabeu (or similar), it is probably best you do not comment, but rather, leave serious comment to those that have.
:lol:
THECHOIRBOY
Agree with a lot of what Confused says. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

But I would love to see the uproar on here if we had played Deering in the hole and played just one up front. "Negative Yates", "We want 442" etc etc

The fact is we have not had a good start to the season and he is trying to find the right balance in midfield for competitive matches. he obviously felt that Richards / Noble may give us that having tried a number of other combinations so far. Penn came on and proved a point, playing better than I have seen him for a while, which can only be a good thing.

i have not heard much since from the "You dont know what you are doing" group from the LMI after the Gilly sub? Seemed to work didnt it?!
RTT
I seems to me that placing Penn on the bench had the desired effect as when he came on he was more like his old self. He has not been at the top of game this season and was given a short 'kick up the backside'
Dave Beesley
I have absolutely no problem with 4-5-1/4-3-3. Name any of the top sides in any division which regularly plays 4-4-2, it lacks creativity as midfielders going forward create huge holes and make you susceptible to a counter attack.
Why not go back to 4-5-1? We used it in 2011/12 to good effect.
There are far too many old farts around who are stuck in the 90s. What next, Half Backs? 2-3-5? WM?
ghandi
I'm just off into town to buy some rose coloured specs & st johns wort tablets to lift my mood.Like a few others,i'd like to view the robins situation in a more favourable light.Cometh the hour,cometh the man,so noble may be our saviour,he definately looks the part.We can all speculate about rumours & goings on behind the scenes,but you can only make judgements on what you see on the pitch,and it doe'snt make for good viewing at the moment.
THECHOIRBOY
Comedy Dave wrote:I have absolutely no problem with 4-5-1/4-3-3. Name any of the top sides in any division which regularly plays 4-4-2, it lacks creativity as midfielders going forward create huge holes and make you susceptible to a counter attack.
Why not go back to 4-5-1? We used it in 2011/12 to good effect.
There are far too many old farts around who are stuck in the 90s. What next, Half Backs? 2-3-5? WM?
Completely agree. Add young farts too as there was many a chorus of "442" last year!!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The problem is that after we had some success and romping wins with the 4-5-1 (more 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3) we kept with it when it went stale (a pure 4-5-1). The result was a shift from fantastic attacking direct play with three or four men going forward and sending defenders back-pedalling, to dire hoof-ball to an isolated striker and sending defenders back home after them game without having broken a sweat.

That's why fans, young and old, called for 4-4-2 as at least that would guarantee more than one person in the final third of the pitch.